Wednesday, August 2, 2017

August 2017 Goals + July Goal Update

Hiiiiii, I'm baaaaack! Did you miss me, Internet Friends? It has certainly been weird not logging in here a few times each week to catch up with you all, but sometimes a break is nice.

I hope you'll catch me up on a little bit of what you've been up to these past few weeks in the comments! I've missed you!

^3 months running for this intro. New goal. How many months in a row can I reuse the same intro? Hopefully none more, 'cause it's kind of a bummer.


I'm not sure where July went. It felt like it went by at 1.5 speed this year. Seriously. Needless to say, I feel like I probably didn't rock my July goals, but I'm not even sure, because for the first month ever, I can't remember what they were. That's how quickly things flew.

85,000 steps weekly | FAIL
I hit this one week out of the 4. No excuses. I just still haven't been running much, or hiking as much as I assumed I would. Derp.

More outdoor time | I drank a lot of margaritas in the kiddie pool
And mojitos, and ciders, and beers. We had several groups of friends over & enjoyed our back porch and flat back yard (a unicorn in Pittsburgh). Did several hikes, an outdoor wedding, and a weekend spent relaxing lakeside for a friends bachelorette party.


Start (modified) TRI training | Ehhhh
I did some more bike rides on the spin bikes at the gym. I hopped in the pool to swim for the first time in a while (and knocked out at least 2100yds), But my running has still been on the struggle bus and wildly inconsistent to boot. I think this is my fancy way of saying, holy shit, my TRI is on August 20th, and while I know I can finish it, I don't think this will be my triumphant comeback after my bike injury.


Waste no food | B-
I'd say we did pretty okay at this. Some noodles got pitched. And a sad cabbage remnant that sat in the fridge too long. But other than that, we ate it all. I hedge my bets a bit this time of year. Our garden is producing some, but it's anyone's guess when I got shopping on a Saturday what we'll have by Wednesday. But so far I've guessed well. Mr. Sass and I are getting into a groove with prepping lunches and things. He eats differently depending on what shift he's working at work. This month, I've been prepping him a lunch just like I do for me. But, when he works evenings next month he thinks he'd prefer a huge breakfast, no lunch, a normal dinner and some late night snacks. Alright...Mrs. Sass is on it!


Make a budget | We STILL need a budget
We opened a join checking account, which, so far has proved to just be annoying. And our checks haven't arrived yet, so I can't switch over my direct deposit. NVM, just did it, even though it's the hardest thing I've done all day. Up next, budget. Though, with 2 sets of plane tickets, and a few weekend trips to celebrate with friends, I can tell you it's already blown. Oops.

In summation, I didn't seem to get much done during July. Honestly, my motivation to do anything besides sit in the pool & chat with friends has been low. Even running. I love the feeling when I'm out there, usually, but getting out there is the problem.

So, what's on tap for August!?

Bust out thank you notes | It still hurts a bit to write, but I just want these done. I can do one or two at a time, but definitely not 7 or 8 like I was before. So, slow and steady wins the race.

Waste no food | I want to keep rocking this trend. Making sure we're using all our garden produce - and not buying groceries we don't need.

Make fall race plans | My motivation has been low. I really want to run Buffalo Creek Half Marathon (& rock it), but my desire to jump into a training plan doesn't seem to be there just yet. Not sure if registering will force me to buckle down, or if I just shouldn't sweat it.

80,000 steps weekly | Considering I only hit this marker 1/4 weeks in July, let's tone it down here.

Keep on tri-training | I've (semi) accepted that this tri isn't going to be an earth shattering finish. But that doesn't meant I can't come in strong and embrace where I am now. But like, also, let's get my ass back on a bike first...like one that actually moves when you pedal it.

Get my groove back | I really don't know what it is. I've been in this weird little exercise funk. I enjoy it when I'm out there, but getting out there is the hard part. Maybe I just need some cooler temps, or a bike ride, since those are my favorite. Shrugs.

What are your August goals?
What's one thing you're looking forward too in August?
Swim, Bike, Run - which one would be your strongest? Your weakest?

Linking up with Amanda +  AngeGretchen + Kristen

23 comments:

  1. I totally understand the exercise funk. I'm slowly starting to break out if it, especially with this 1 mile a day streak I'm doing. Getting out there can still be a struggle - but I saw a bike riding by & kind of wished I was on mine! Cooler temps, YES. It's just so dang out to work up a sweat outside.. I already sweat just standing out there. Glad you're back =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, you know me, Sweaty Betty, if I even think about maybe exercising at any point I pretty much need a shower. I've been convincing Mr. Sass to go on evening walks, and maybe we'll do an evening hike this week.

      Delete
  2. I've been in an exercise for way too long so I'm right there with you.

    Nice to see you back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steph.

      Hoping to bust out of this rut soon - just not quite sure how!

      Delete
  3. July seems to have sped by! That's great that you got in so much outdoor time and the inflatable pool was put to good use :) Good luck with getting your groove back in August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chaitali! Not sure what exactly has me in a funk this time around which makes it hard to snap out of it!

      Delete
  4. I'm working hard on the no wasting food. I just cringe when I fill up grocery bagSSSSS of spoiled food. UGH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UGH, me too! Especially when it's things from our garden that we worked so hard to grow. I try to have a meal or two each week planned that is mostly shelf stable in case we somehow have way too much food & need to use up leftovers.

      Delete
  5. Speaking from experience, some advice: if you are at all iffy about signing up for a race, or unsure whether signing up will motivate you or not - don't do it. Don't waste the money. I've done this so many times in the past year and all I have to show for it are a handful of total dud races and a bunch of buyer's remorse. Wait until you are feeling excited about training again, then pick a race a few months out and do that instead. After this year I will never again sign up for races way in advance assuming that I'll magically find the motivation to train later.

    If you're anything like me, the summer weather is definitely contributing to the exercise funk! It's such a hard time of year to buckle down about exercise because there is so much else going on and the weather is just miserable to run in. I'm pretty sure this is my last time ever doing a summer marathon training cycle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG yes, I can't even imagine training for a marathon right now.

      I'm an all in person a lot of times, so I almost wonder if the fact that I can't bike due to my hand right now is making me want to do NOTHING at all. Which I know is silly logic, but, it is what it is.

      Delete
  6. Wasting no food is an awesome goal. I hate throwing things out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steph - definitely something I hate having to do. So hard to judge sometimes what we will or won't eat especially if last minute plans come up.

      Delete
  7. I am with Steph - definitely like the idea of making a real, conscious effort not to waste food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a pantry clean out a few months ago to get rid of some odds and ends and I'm encouraged to only bring food into the house we know we will use AND enjoy!

      Delete
  8. Oh I am sure a joint checking account is going to take some getting used to. having to run every purchase by each other so you always have an idea of what your balance is. I can't imagine but I wish you all the best with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily we put most purchases on a credit card, so there is really only a one time withdrawal from the checking each month. A few other things like mortgage and utilities come out, but I'm HOPING we won't have to do too much checking and can leave a small buffer in there to help us avoid that situation.

      Delete
  9. What tri is it?? Good luck with training- coming back from an injury (especially a serious one!) is always hard, but you'll get back there~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the Keystone State Tri - it's in Derry TWP which is maybe an hour away from me? I think this is only the second year they've run it...so thinking it'll be small.

      Delete
  10. You did a pretty decent job in July! I'm terrible at exercising so you're still doing better than me ;) I hate wasting food but I know I do it weekly... Meal planning has helped a little with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually SO on point with food, but summer gets hard since we seem to make more spontaneous plans, or grab ice cream for dinner sometimes which results in us not eating things.

      Delete
  11. motivation is hard to come by during these months. why is the joint checking annoying? switching things over in general is annoying. i still haven't changed my name for our bank account lol. i need to get my groove back as well. good luck in august! swim would be my weakest. i can not drown, but that's it. i'm also slightly terrified on a bike, so can i just run 3 times? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the switching things over bit. And his paycheck, which it never dips BELOW a certain amount is sometimes higher due to OT. So, still getting used to the variability of that. I mean, all in all, first world problems, and I was oh so used to only looking at my stuff & knowing when I had everything set to withdraw & such.

      Haha, I think they call running 3 times a half marathon or something like that.

      Delete
  12. I'm curious! Why have you found joint bank accounts to be annoying? We don't have them but only because we haven't had time to go to the bank and open one and we don't really need them... and also because as a small business owner it was going to make doing my taxes more difficult as well.

    I am trying to make zero food waste a priority this month too!

    ReplyDelete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!