Thursday, June 1, 2017

June 2017 goals + May goal recap

Hiiiiii, I'm baaaaack! Did you miss me, Internet Friends? It has certainly been weird not logging in here a few times each week to catch up with you all, but sometimes a break is nice.

I hope you'll catch me up on a little bit of what you've been up to these past few weeks in the comments! I've missed you!

I kept it SIMPLE for my May goals. It turned out to be quite the month, just like I knew it would. But, were home from Switzerland, so now it's back to real life, and real goals. And SUMMERTIME!


First things first, how did I do on my May goals?

Enjoy my people | There is just never enough time!
So many friends and family came from all over the country to celebrate with us. We had 15 states represented. We did an open house Friday night of wedding weekend, a meet and greet of sorts. Plus got up extra early on Sunday to join some family at breakfast before they headed home and it STILL WASN'T ENOUGH. But, there never seems to be enough time when it comes to family and friends. So, we soaked up all the love we could, until next time. 7 cousins, 1 brother and 1 husband + me, all squeezed into one picture. :)

Get married | 'Til death do us part
The wedding went off flawlessly. If anything went wrong on the day of I didn't know about it, which is fine by me. The cake - which I let Mr. Sass be in charge of turned out just fine. Even if he did tell the woman at the bakery - "I don't care, do what you want, it's for a wedding". Oh boy. So the cake flavor was a total surprise when we finally cut into it. The verdict? It was alternating layers of vanilla and chocolate. The ultimate indecision pleaser.


Enjoy HM#10 | Thoroughly enjoyed!
If you missed my recap of half marathon #10, you can find it here. But spoiler alert, Gretchen and I ran together and had a blast. I turned in my personal worst half marathon time, and didn't mind one bit. It was just what I needed when there was a lot of other things going on in life, like oh, you know, wedding planning. While I don't think I'll do most of my races "just for fun" it was definitely a nice break.


Travel cross country via train | So many trains, so many places!
Train travel in Switzerland was the best. The trains are super clean, run frequently, are well labeled, and you can drink booze on them. Some even have carts that come around and sell beer and wine. Yes, please. I shamelessly added this to my May goals knowing it was already on the agenda. But, it's been on my 30 before 30 for years, so consider it crossed off!


Now it's June. Which I really cannot believe. I feel like the first 5 months of the year were consumed with all things wedding, which, they totally were. I'm looking forward to getting back to my true self. Spending more time doing things I really enjoy, and less time doing things like de-wrinkling tablecloths.

More outdoor workouts | How's that for vague? What is "more" exactly? Well, while I'm still working on a training plan or sorts for my upcoming metric century bike ride, and sprint triathlon, I'd like to incorporate at least one bike ride, and one trail run each week, in addition to my weekly outdoor long run.

More outdoor time | Not only do I want to spend more of my workout time outside, but more of my time in general outside. Whether it's taking a walk after dinner, reading a book on the porch, or working in the garden, there is no excuse, when we have a beautiful back porch, to sit inside. I also want to make sure that plans with friends are outside whenever possible. Even if that just means a picnic in the park versus inside.

Portion Control + MFP | Man,oh man. I am so bad when it comes to portion control. I fill the plate, or the bowl, or the container, or whatever. I'm not loving how some of my clothes have been fitting, so it's back to portion control. I do really well with measuring out a portion of food, eating that amount, and then waiting 20-30 minutes to decide if I am still genuinely hungry. If I am, I eat more, if I am not, then I don't. Harder than it sounds, surprisingly.  Food tastes good. Plus tracking it all in My Fitness Pal.

Bust out thank you notes | My goal is to be totally finished writing these by the end of June. This is one of those things that I can do outside. Mr. Sass and I plan to split them up, but he struggles, so really, I write like 4 in the time it takes him to come up with, "Thank you for the ____". Greeaaaat. All in one chunk it seems overwhelming. But if we each just bust out 5-10 a day we could be done in about a week and a half!

Start TRI training | I did one sprint tri back in 2015 and absolutely crushed it. The timing and available races haven't worked out to race another since then, but I have one on my calendar for August and I am jazzed. I loved tri training, though, for the life of me, I can't find the plan I used back in 2015. So, sounds like I'll be making another and starting that up this month.

What are some of your June goals?
Anyone have any good tri-training resources to share?
What's one food you have no self control with?
QUESO. Forever QUESO.

Linking up with Amanda +  AngeGretchen + Kristen

21 comments:

  1. congrats!!! you both looked stunning.

    i love that you guys travelled across europe by train! looking fwd to the recap posts (esp about Switzerland; it's on my bucket list).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We actually ONLY did Switzerland, so lots of recaps to share about there! It was AMAZING, but so expensive!

      Delete
  2. YAY marriage and weeding. Love your dress. How funny about the cake, fun lil surprise.

    We did some train travel when we were in Europe, much more expensive than we thought originally. But so clean and efficient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We ended up with a 15-day rail pass that let us ride 95% of the trains for totally free, a few we had to pay for, and those were expensive, so I think the rail pass was totally worth it!

      Delete
  3. Welcome back! Your honeymoon trip looked amazing!!

    I think I would really enjoy triathlon training, and a sprint or Oly is on my "one day far from now" bucket list. The problem is that I don't really have anywhere to log swim miles. Even the gym I used to go to doesn't have a pool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you! It's like built in cross training, which I LOVE! And at least for a sprint, I didn't feel like I was doing so much that it took over my life. About the same as I would train for a half, maybe even less.

      Hmm, you should see if places near you do open water swims in summer. A tri-club near me + a state park have open water swims 6-8 days a month where anyone can come out & swim.

      Delete
  4. ha! Queso, I am right there with you!!
    A huge congratulations on the wedding! I am glad to hear it all went smoothly, and you looked beautiful :) your honeymoon pics on IG were beyond! What a adventure.
    Just for fun and your slowest half time sound like #aholottafun - very good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - #aholottafun for sure!

      Thank you :) I have a bazillion more pictures to share. I took over 3,000! OOPS!

      Delete
  5. What tri are you doing in August? I was so disappointed they cancelled the PGH Tri- loved doing it last year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They cancelled it all together & aren't even hosting it this year!? Oh no. I am doing the Keystone State Tri at Keystone State Park out in Derry, PA. I know there is another at North Park called Janey & the Y Tri or something like that. I've never done that one, but am considering it.

      Leave me your blog link, if you can, I can't seem to find it, and can only see your Google+ page! Or shoot me an email :)

      Delete
  6. I LOVED the trains in Switzerland. I totally know what you mean by them being super clean. Clean trains are the best. And it's exciting to hear that your wedding went so well; that made me smile about your husband ordering the cake. That might be how I would order a cake, because I'm not a very detailed person and too many details can make me a crazy woman. :D

    Also, fun races are so essential. I'm glad you did that half marathon for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats and welcome back! I loved seeing your Switzerland photos on Instagram, everything looked so beautiful. I love train travel in Europe, so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad your wedding day was full of nothing bad. & I so laugh about him picking out the cake with 'whatever'... such a guy.
    Your dress is so beautiful. I cant wait to see more pics of your wedding!!!!!
    Welcome back MRS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're married! Congratulations! I can't wait to hear more about the wedding and honeymoon and see photos. I would love to travel more in Switzerland - Have only been to Geneva.
    I kinda sorta would like to do a tri someday but I am very intimidated by both the swim and the bike so... It would be outside my comfort zone for sure but that's probably a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back! Looked like you had an amazing time... loved your pics on Instagram!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome back!! Can't wait to hear all about your trip (hopefully over beers) because the pictures were just amazing. We're getting kayaks/SUP boards sometime soon..maybe this month...so maybe that can be your outdoor time?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on your wedding! My sister did a train trip across Switzerland last year and I never thought it'd be something I would want to do, but she had a blast and now it's on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations again on your wedding, I'm glad everything went so well! I've been enjoying your IG posts from Europe :)

    Your goals for June look great! I'm looking forward to doing more yoga and barre this month. I need to spend more time outdoors too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well heeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyy, married lady!

    From what I saw on Facebook, your honeymoon looked SERIOUSLY amazing! I am so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i need to spend more time outside in general. i just like.. don't like being outside sometimes. i know. i'm the worst. but when i'm reading outside and there are noises and bugs, it annoys me. so i'm super happy we have our sunroom, because it's like, the best of both worlds right? outdoors (heat and sun, yay)! but indoors (no bugs!). i just need a couch or something. KC and I try to go for walks during the week after work, even 30-40 minutes are such a nice break.
    what is portion control? asking for a friend.
    thanks for linking up with us! sorry for my late comment! welcome back and congrats on getting married!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome back! Your May sounds amazing. I was over in Europe (Germany) in May, too. I am glad you had a wonderful wedding and great trip!!

    ReplyDelete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!