Sunday, April 16, 2017

Boston Trail Half Marathon : The end is in sight!

Hiiiiii! Long time no "see". I had every intention of checking in on Wednesday and Friday last week as usual, and then, I just didn't. Instead, I tried to relax, tried to get a few things done, and tried to get some extra sleep. I spent the weekend enjoying the best 48 hours at home with my family and Mr. Sass. It meant another wacky week - but I made it work and squeezed my runs in.

I'm linking up with Steff to share my weekly training recap! Plus, as always I'm linking up with Holly & Tricia to share my weekend highlights!

The end is in sight! My long run today finished week 9 of half marathon training. 2 more runs and I'll be toeing the start line of the Boston Trail Half Marathon. These last 9 weeks have been a serious roller coaster. I've had some incredible runs, and I've had some runs that tested every bit of my mental strength.

Monday // Rest
After bachelorette shenanigans last weekend, I hadn't managed to get much sleep for a few days in a row, so no easy Monday miles for me, instead, I slept in, took a walk with a friend at lunch, and enjoyed the mid-day vitamin D.

Tuesday // 4.4 easy miles
The weather was crisp and cool this morning. By all accounts it should have been a great run, but I didn't enjoy a single step.


My legs felt fine, my pace was good, but I spent every step wishing I was finished. While I've wished to be finished on other runs this training cycle, it was because it was hard, this run, however, I genuinely did not want to be running. I finished this run out - but, blah.


Wednesday //  7 miles continuous - 1 @ HM pace, 5 at HMP + 20 seconds, 1 @ HM pace.
This workout was tough. I'm not sure if my 4.4 miles from Tuesday did me in, or if this was just a killer workout on its own. After my first mile (that was too quick, because I can't seem to slow down), my next 4 were also way too quick. And then death. My 5th mile at HMP + 20 was right on target, because my legs were lead. I stopped just before the end of the mile when I found a working water fountain - I was elated. My 7th, and final mile was right on target, but it took everything out of me. I woke up sore on Thursday for the first time following speedwork this go-round.


Thursday // Strength Training
No leg day for me. I woke up sore from my speed work, so I knew it couldn't be leg day. Instead it was arms and back.

Friday - Saturday // Rest
Part of Friday was spent driving to KY to see my family, and Saturday was spent celebrating Easter a tad bit early so Mr. Sass could be back in Pittsburgh for work Sunday afternoon.

Sunday // 8 mile long run
I considered doing my 8 miles Thursday morning, or Thursday evening, or Saturday morning. Mostly because the Sunday forecast called for thunderstorms. In the end, I decided to take my chances and leave my long run for Sunday. I lucked out, that while it was warm and muggy, the skies were clear. I headed to nearby North Park to get my miles in. With no pace in mind, I started my run. My main goal was to keep my route as flat as possible. It took me the first 5 miles to warm up. My shins and calves felt incredibly tight, and I just couldn't go any faster. By the time I finish mile 5, I finally start to feel normal, and like I could keep going. I finished out my muggy miles and headed home. Shortly after, the storms started.


No profound thoughts on this training cycle for now. I'm excited to recap it all post- race, and in the meantime just check the weather every 5 minutes and hope it'll be cool and cloudy.

Who else is racing this weekend?
How was your Easter?

32 comments:

  1. Great week of runs! I have those runs sometime too that I feel like I can not finish them soon enough and want to just throw in the towel. But I always feel much better when I finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, I'm glad I got the miles in, but boy, did they DRAG by!

      Delete
  2. Great job getting all your miles in this week! And I can't wait to see you for your race this weekend!! #personalphotographer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize you were training for a trail half marathon! I've always wanted to do one, but I have fears I would hurt myself. Great week of training!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The name is TOTALLY deceiving. It's actually on a crushed limestone rails to trails type "trail". I've done a trail 10K before, and definitely spent the whole time afraid I was going to bite it. But maybe ONE DAY!

      Delete
  4. I'm so excited for you! I hope you have the best race!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steff! I'm hoping once all our racing settles down us Pittsburgh runners // bloggers can get together for a run, or just a fun hangout! Especially since I know you, me & Gretchen are all in the same area!

      Delete
  5. I hate when that happens - just not feeling it. Sadly for me, that's been my last month. UGH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UGH. That SUCKS. I hope your mojo returns promptly!

      Delete
  6. YOu are going to kick this race on the face!! You got this! I have read that this tough work outs are the ones that keep you going on race day! you already know it will suck, and it will hurt, but you will still go out there and be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, yes. Loving all this positive energy leading up to race day. I need to read these all again Saturday morning.

      Delete
  7. Good luck with your race! Enjoy your rest and taper this week. You've worked hard and it will pay off on race day. I'm looking forward to the details! Thanks for linking, Jessie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly! I can't wait for race day. & to re-read all these encouraging comments Saturday morning!

      Delete
  8. That 7 mile run sounds really intense, I can't even imagine - great job! The hard work is paying off, can't wait to see how you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janelle! I'm so excited // nervous for Saturday morning to get here!

      Delete
  9. Trail runs take so much bravery! I'm glad you're on track and that you're almost there. <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The name is TOTALLY deceiving. It's actually on a crushed limestone rails to trails type "trail". I've done a trail 10K before, and definitely spent the whole time afraid I was going to bite it. But maybe ONE DAY!

      Delete
  10. Sounds like you pushed through on some really tough runs this week! I'm sure that will help out when you've got tough moments during the race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. I definitely feel like my mental game is stronger than it was at the start of this training cycle.

      Delete
  11. good luck with your race!! hope it is super awesome.

    no race for me this weekend, but next weekend. totally not prepared. womp womp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HM time already next weekend!? Go in, have fun! You are so busy with all this house stuff right now, I don't blame you.

      Delete
  12. Great workout week and good luck with the race!

    I am not really racing until May, but I have a progressive (virtual run) coming up before then .Should be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy progressive runs. You say you're not racing until May, but that is RIGHT around the corner!

      Delete
  13. You're a run queen!

    I couldn't even run 5 metres on a trail without killing myself - let alone a whole half marathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG girl, it's totally not a trail trail. I'd be dead. It's a crushed limestone trail. They converted a bunch of old RR beds around here & made them into walking // running paths.

      Delete
  14. So excited for your race!! Your workouts have been so amazing, including your speed work this week. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW I have it in me, just have to find the right race to prove it.

      Delete
  15. Gosh don't we all have those kinds of runs?? Yes the make us what we are when we finish and finish is exactly what you did! Good luck in your race, one more half for me then a summer distance racing break until the fall which I'm looking forward too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few races this summer, but no HM's and I think I'll keep it that way. I have one more in two weeks, but after that everything is just for fun. I'll definitely train, but not quite the same pressure for those events.

      Delete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!