Monday, February 13, 2017

Weekend Highlights : Run, eat, repeat

I talked on Friday about how all of our weekend plans were turning out to be a wash. Well, I'm happy to report Mr. Sass and I had quite an enjoyable weekend - even if things didn't go according to plan.

Friday ended up being a sick day for me. When I woke up to go to the gym I felt awful, so I turned off my alarm and kept on sleeping. But when I woke up to get ready for work, I still felt terrible, and even moreso was worried about spreading the germs through the office. Nobody likes someone sneezing everywhere. Luckily my job allows me to work from home. While it's one of my least favorite things to do, I figured it was for the best.

We had a low key evening, complete with enchilada soup, a few episodes of Blue Bloods, and an early bedtime. We had pre-cana (mandatory pre-marital counseling) on Saturday from 830 - 430 PM and I was determined to run a few miles beforehand. I knew I wouldn't be able to stand sitting around all day.

So, at 6AM on Saturday I dragged my butt out of bed and headed to nearby North Park to get in 5 miles on the paved "Lake Loop" - I finished in plenty of time to head home, shower, and scarf some coffee and hard boiled eggs before heading to class.


While Mr. Sass & I agreed the day was not a wash, and that we definitely learned things, neither of us does well sitting around for 8 hours at a time. We were beyond antsy by the end of the day. And a little disgruntled that the one day Pittsburgh decides to be 55 and sunny we spent inside. He suggested we go for a run, and despite my 5 morning miles, I'll never turn that man down when he asks to run with me. We hurried to change our clothes & headed back to North Park, for another 5 miles on the Lake Loop. 5 miles with the sunrise and 5 miles with the sunset.


We hustled to shower, get dressed and shovel down some dinner before meeting our friends at Draai Laag - another new to us brewery. We stayed for a beer or two before heading on to nearby Grist House, another new to us brewery. Both had great outdoor space, and I can't wait to head back in warmer weather & snag a table outside.



Grist House closed at 10PM, which we thought was a typo until the bartender started yelling "LAST CALLLLLL" around 945PM. We knew our time was limited. A few other friends were headed out to join us, so we made a third and final stop for the night at Sidelines where after one more beer and a basket of wings it was time for bed.

Sunday morning called for scones. The weather was pretty blah and Mr. Sass has been pointing out that all of the baked goods I create seem to be destined for my office and never for his belly, and he was right. I picked up some strawberries to make an adaptation of Budget Bytes White Chocolate Scones. I used fresh strawberries & semi-sweet chocolate chips instead of white chocolate.


I had never so much as attempted scones before, but they turned out great and would be super easy to adapt with your fruit // chocolate of choice. Mr. Sass gave two thumbs up, especially since all 8 scones were staying in the Sass house. I made a simple vanilla "icing" to drizzle on top, but most of them didn't last long enough to get drizzled.


Then we went hard creating a chore chart (okay, so that was all Mr. Sass because I really don't give a shit and really don't notice dirt until something is filthy), finished addressing wedding invites, and meal prepping for the week. All before it was time for dinner with friends at new-to-us brewery #3 of the weekend, Spoonwood Brewing.


In general I thought the food was meh, but the beer was good, and they had local wine and cider on draft as well, which is always a plus in my book, as a former non-beer drinker.


Half marathon training starts today! Which, while it seems like I've been waiting for this forever, I don't know why it finally snuck up on me while I'm still getting over a cold. Still playing around with how I'll recap my training each week, sneak it into my weekly recaps, or have an entire training recap post. Let me know if you feel strongly about one or the other...

How was your weekend?
What's the best piece of marriage // relationship advice you've ever received?
What's the worst piece of relationship advice you've ever received?

Linking up with :Holly & Tricia for Weekend Highlights

24 comments:

  1. best piece of marriage advice: always keep your marriage a priority, even when you have kids.

    worst piece of marriage advice: "don't go to bed angry". that's bull. sometimes you just need a break from the argument and time to calm down so you don't say anything you regret.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already know "don't go to bed angry" is some horseshit. I get very heated. While I probably won't get good sleep in the thick of an argument, I'll probably feel better for having some time to think over my thoughts.

      Delete
  2. I hope you feel better!! I'm glad you guys still had a nice weekend. Those scones look AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's time to make some more scones. Our house has been the MacMod Muffin Express the past few weeks & I am about muffin'd out!

      Delete
  3. Those scones look delicious you made. Sorry to hear the food wasn't that great at the brewery. But if the drinks were good I always think it evens out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone else seemed to enjoy the food, sometimes I think I'm just too picky.

      The scones WERE delicious & I think it's about time for a repeat.

      Delete
  4. Hope you feel better! Getting over a cold is almost more of a drag than being in the midst of one. Two 5 milers in one day while sick? Dang!

    I'm pretty sure I've...probably...been to to those breweries. I've been to so many breweries in Pgh that they all kind of blur together. Actually I don't think I've been to Spoonwood though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spoonwood (in my opinion) is off the beaten path. There are lots of others clustered near each other in different Pittsburgh neighborhoods, but this one is probably 10-15 minutes from the next closest one.

      Delete
  5. 6am? Wow... you are my hero
    Those scones look DELICIOUS!!!
    The best advice that we always remember, someone told us to go into marriage not thinking that divorce is an option. When there is no option, you make it work. You figure things out. People want an easy way out when things dont go their way... you have to work on marriage. No other option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree 100% - in our minds divorce is not an option. Which will make figuring it out our ONLY option. I hope as we move forward in our lives we can continue to surround ourselves with couples who view marriage the same way.

      Delete
  6. Ahh so many breweries, I'm jealous! We have 2 new ones opening near us and I'm more than excited for them. I've never attempted scones but those look SO GOOD and now I want to make them asap haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always viewed scones as sort of complicated & fancy, but they really weren't. And they seem super easy to customize. I want to try lemon blueberry ones next!

      Delete
  7. Those scones look amazing! The best piece of relationship advice I ever got was from a random older gentleman I met during a shared taxi ride years ago. Love isn't just a feeling, it's an action. And he wakes up every morning and makes a choice to love his wife and to act in ways that show that love. I thought that was so sweet, and so sensible. It definitely makes us feel more in control of the state of our marriage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that! I'm definitely not always feeling lovey, but doesn't mean I can't act. I've heard that love is a choice as well, you won't always feel that way, but you can choose to take steps to get you back to a place where you will. Those two seem to go hand in hand.

      Delete
  8. You kicked some serious butt on Saturday! what a long day!

    I think the worst advice I remember getting was in my pre-cana class, when a woman said to never ever deny sex to our husbands, that we were their wives to please them and satisfy them always. I almost walked out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. -___-, as I'm sure you can imagine I would be less than thrilled with that piece of advice as well. HMPH. Thankfully no one has tried to tell us that.

      Delete
  9. Geez, that's a lot of brewery visits in a single weekend! Grist is always crazy busy in warm weather. It's such a great outdoor space. The scones look delicious. Yay for starting HM training!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha brewery overload of sorts. Somehow there are still so many in PGH we HAVEN'T visited!

      Delete
  10. ugh an 8 hour class? that sounds horrible. good for you for running twice. i am not a baker, but those scones look amazing.
    the worst marriage advice i ever received was basically to shut up and always be available for whatever your husband needs with a drink in your hand. yup. the best was to communicate and have sex, but don't try to communicate after sex. that made me laugh. i honestly think that every marriage/relationship is far too different to make any advice applicable to everyone. i think communication is key in every relationship though, however that works for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "the best was to communicate and have sex, but don't try to communicate after sex." I like that - and sounds like it's probably about right. Communication is definitely something we're getting better at, but something I don't think we'll ever quite MASTER. And I think part of it is too, that as we go along we keep learning things about our own selves. Sometimes I just want to be left alone, which, I didn't necessarily know, because I used to live alone, so of course I was alone. haha.

      Delete
  11. Phewwwwwwwwwwww! 8 hours of marriage counselling?! I don't think we even got 10 minutes, haha. The anglican church must be seriously relaxed.

    Now I need to know these things you learnt!

    Hmmm, my best marriage advice was that $#!+ happens and people say stupid things but so will you - so let it all go and hope they'll do the same when the shoe is on the other foot, haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job with that double run on Saturday! 8 hours of pre marriage counseling sounds...challenging. Kudos for getting that over with! Honestly, I don't remember getting any advice. We just had to wing it. LOL. I've never tried making scones. Those look delicious. Thanks for linking, Jessie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow you knocked out some really awesome runs; and those scones look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow your pre-marriage class was 8 hours? Did I read that right?
    Since my hubs is running more and doing really great, I find it hard to turn him down when he asks about running!
    Those scones do look so good!

    ReplyDelete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!