Friday, February 3, 2017

Friday Five #57

Happy Friday! Don't really have much to include in the way of intros // small talk today. I had big plans to test out a Beer Cheese Soup recipe this week, so I bought 2 blocks of cheese at the store. And then, knowing Mr. Sass is the resident cheese gobbler asked him specifically to save those for making soup. The next day I open the fridge to find 3/4 of one of the blocks gone - having been raided in the night by the cheese thief while I slept peacefully in our bed. He claimed having no knowledge of the don't eat the cheese conversation. But needless to say you bet I made his ass go get more, 'cause dammit if I didn't want some beer cheese soup!

Anyways, I'll be making beer cheese soup this weekend, assuming the gremlin can keep his hands off the cheese long enough for it to make it in the pot. Plus heading for a run & maybe a hike with friends.


one // Apparently I only took 3 pictures this whole week, and they're all of cake, so, yeah. On Monday, Mr. Sass headed to Oakmont Bakery to pick up 2 sample cakes + sample cookies. We had quite the time tasting everything & rating our favorites. While we're still not sure who we'll go with, the cake was delicious. But a little over zealous on the icing. I left an icing shell on my plate each time I had a slice.



two // I think I'm finally getting back into a groove with reading. I got a fine last July - and embarrassingly enough didn't read any more books in 2016, but I'm back. I read 2 in January, but cruised through The Pilots Wife in 2.5 lunch breaks. One of those books that sucks you in, even though it's a little predictable. I put a few things on hold at the library and am excited to return to reading on my lunch breaks. Anything I MUST put on my to-be-read list?

three // We're coming up on 2 years since my brother & I summitted Mt. Kilimanjaro together. I have a few posts about it on my travel page, but it's still hard to believe sometimes. And I'm getting the itch to do some other sort of crazy trek. Machu Picchu? Torres del Paine? I don't know the answer...but I do know this summit sunrise still gives me chills. The world just sort of stopped for a few minutes, but in the best way. Everything was quiet. I was exhausted from hiking all night, literally, we started hiking at 11PM, I turned around, and there was this.


four // Mr. Sass switched over to a "normal" schedule for the next 4 weeks. He'll be working daylight hours just like me, versus coming home at 11pm. But - what this really means, is he gets home before me, and thus is on dinner duty all month. I do the shopping ('cause I love it) and tell him what to make, but otherwise, it's done when I get home, 'cause man knows I get hangry. So, I will live in bliss for the next 24 days until he switches to some other sort of dumb shift.

five // I may not have actually taken more than a handful of pictures this week, but I did find some funnies...




What are you up to this weekend?
If there's food missing in your house - who done it?
If you have a beer cheese soup recipe you love, drop the link!

linking up with Heather, Amanda, AndreaTifDella & Katie

20 comments:

  1. Beer cheese soup sounds amazing! And why does that not surprise me about Mr. Sass?! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I've been calling him the Gouda Gremlin!

      Delete
  2. Cheese thief! How could he! I'm a cheese lover myself though so I can see why he was tempted - ha!

    Umm, that picture is STUNNING! What an incredible accomplishment for you.

    Yay for getting back into reading! Hope you read some good ones this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steph - seriously such an amazing moment to reach the summit!

      Delete
  3. Beer cheese soup sounds delicious. Can I drink a beer with it too?!? Hehe, and cookie and cake testing mid week sounds like a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha we did indeed drink a beer with it. Wasn't as good as we hoped. Maybe a recipe I'll stick to ordering from restaurants.

      Delete
  4. That dog is me EVERY MORNING at work. Truly.
    Enjoy that time with the fiance... that's great you can live on a regular schedule together - at least for a few weeks ;)
    I've been on a bad reading trek myself. It totally comes & goes for me in reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That dog was especially me at work this morning since it's literally sunny & 75 here today.

      Delete
  5. Girl, you summitted Mt. Kilimanjaro? That is AMAZING; I'm a terrible hiker, but my sister would love to do something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! It was such an incredible experience! A bucket lister for sure. And I'm sure you could do it if you were interested! We went SLOOOOWWWLY.

      Delete
  6. Yayyyy reading! Ok my favorite book I've read lately is Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi. It was awesome and much different type of book than what I normally read (suspenseful, mystery, etc). Enjoy that beer cheese soup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay - so after I devour the 3 books I have checked out + the 3 I just put on hold, I'll be all over Homegoing.

      Delete
  7. You and I are complete opposites, because I eat all the icing and leave the cake. I'm not a huge fan of cake so I'll just eat the icing off Dan's pieces :) We had a traditional Belizean carrot cake at our wedding and I didn't like it at all, but I ate a piece just so I wasn't rude to the chef who made it for us (and just had a ton of champagne to wash it down haha). Then we gave the leftovers to the people who worked at the hotel ;)

    I'm reading Ready Player One right now and it's AMAZING. Apparently it's being made into a movie next year so I would recommend reading it first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHAT!? Just the icing?

      Mmm. I LOVE carrot cake.

      Ready Player One - haven't heard of it, but probably will end up on my hold list at the library. The Northland branch on Cumberland is HUGE if you haven't been there yet.

      Delete
  8. I don't like beer but I love beer cheese and in soup form, it sounds divine. I hope you were able to make it! I'm not athletic, but I love photos of beautiful scenery from those of you who are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did make the soup - but I'd give it a 5 / 10. I think it's a recipe that may be better to leave to the professionals. Plus we ate a whole pot of it between the two of us and then gave ourselves stomach aches.

      Delete
  9. I want to read The Pilots Wife! I've heard such good things about it!

    Enjoy those next few weeks of having dinner cooked for you! That sounds like absolute heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming home and having dinner already made is absolutely the best. I pretty much don't even care what he makes as long as I don't have to do it!

      Delete
  10. Our wedding cake was actually the only wedding cake I ever had where I actually liked the icing! Hopefully you can find one that's the same!

    If there's food missing in my house, it's almost ALWAYS Jesse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! I feel like a crazy person saying this, but I really love boxed cake mix & I feel like none of these bakeries can live up to that.

      Delete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!