Monday, January 23, 2017

Weekend Highlights : The weather rocks

The weather this weekend was the best. Seriously, 60+ in January!? All I wanted to do was be outside. Mission accomplished.

Saturday morning started with a long run. I joined ProBike+Run for 7 miles, wearing shorts! I was seriously sweating by the end of the run, and wished I had worn a short sleeve shirt too.


I would have tacked on another mile or two, but I had plans to meet my friend Stef, her husband, and the pup, Tuck, for a day at Ohiopyle. I headed to their house to clean up and grab a bite to eat before we got on the road.

En route we made an impromptu stop at Gene's Boots and Candies for some hiking fuel. AKA candy!


We headed on towards the park and made a quick stop at the visitors center for a bathroom break and a waterfall picture before heading towards the Kentuck Trail trailhead.


None of us had ever hiked the Kentuck Trail - and wanted to see the Tharp Knob Overlook. And it didn't disappoint. The trails were surprisingly deserted so we were able to let the pup off the leash.



We headed for a delicious dinner at the Stone House Tavern before we headed home.

Sunday was another 60+ degree day - so Mr. Sass and I headed to two local parks to do a little exploring. We enjoyed short hikes at Bellevue Memorial Park & Avonworth Community Park before he headed off to work.



How was your weather this weekend?
Are your pups okay off-leash?
What's your favorite old school candy?
I love me some fruit slices.

Linking up with :Holly & Tricia for Weekend Highlights

21 comments:

  1. What a fun hiking weekend! Love that view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what amazing views! The warm weather really has been great, it makes you really want to get outside and run!

    Old school candy? Hmmm...anything gummy or sour is good enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we would get along just fine - anything gummy or sour is my favorite too! I ended up snagging some sour jelly bellies at the candy store.

      Delete
  3. What a nice weekend! This weather has been CRAZY! Can you believe you were able to hike outside all weekend in JANUARY?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After Phil saw his shadow today I'm afraid it'll be the last time you see me in shorts for MONTHS!

      Delete
  4. Love your pics. Gorgeous views.
    And I just followed you on Instagram.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hiking fuel sounds SO Much better than 'candy' ;)
    I love me some fruit slices too - but always am careful now of 'gummy' things with these crowns of mine.
    We used to let our old Aussie & lab off the leash but it makes me nervous with Harvey. I also get nervous when I see other people have a dog off leash - especially near roads. That makes me cringe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were a little afraid the pup would go crazy, but he was SO well behaved. We just had one little scare when he ran ahead & there were 2 off-leash dogs + 2 kiddos & 2 parents. We called him & he came, so no issue, just didn't see it coming & never know if other peoples dogs are crazy.

      Delete
  6. OMG the weather this weekend was the best! I only hope that it doesn't mean we're going to have a sweltering summer, though. We've been to Ohiopyle a lot but never on that trail. Seems like it's dog-friendly, so I'll have to add it to my must-hike list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trail was definitely dog friendly and pretty deserted too, we opted to drive to the start point, but it sounds like you could make it longer and walk from the center of town if you needed.

      Delete
  7. That river is to hypnotic! what a great shot! and you got some sun!! we haven't seen that guy here in about a week now!

    My favorite old school candy is a Mexican candy, a mango lollipop, covered in ground red pepper and sugar. It was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that's definitely something I would try, hell yes to the mango but not too sure about the ground red pepper. Is it super spicy?

      Delete
  8. Jealous of your weekend weather! We had rain here, which made me very unmotivated. Favorite old school candy is Sour Patch Kids. I used to eat those like crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I STILL eat Sour Patch Kids like crazy, they are absolutely my weakness.

      Delete
  9. Candy for hiking fuel? Girl, I need to come hiking with you!

    Your weekend sounds awesome! The weather this weekend here in Sydney was HOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT! And now after a really hot day it's overcast and rainy. Sydney is going through some major PMS mood swings or something :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like Pittsburgh is doing the same thing. Literally yesterday it was 60 & I wore shorts, today started at 50 but is supposed to end with like several inches of snow overnight. What the heck!?

      Delete
  10. I definitely loved the warm weather! The trails you guys were on look beautiful. Way to get out there and really take advantage of the warm temperatures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Especially this time of year, I do not let warm weather go to waste!

      Delete
  11. One of my dogs is excellent off leash and responds to my voice. The other? Bahahaha. It looks like you had a beautiful outdoor weekend. I'd give anything to have great places to hike around here. Oh...the old school candy? A TOOTSIE ROLL is the bomb. Thanks for linking, Jessie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you like the fruity ones too? Tootsie Rolls are one of the few candies I can resist with no problem, guess this means we'd be perfect at sharing candy!

      Delete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!