Monday, January 16, 2017

Weekend Highlights : I'm a social butterfly

Are you ever just chugging along one day & something hits you like a ton of bricks. Last week it was the realization that Mr. Sass and I get married this year. 117-ish days according to The Knot who won't stop sending emails about all the tasks I should be busy getting completed. Sometimes I'm all rah rah - go us, shit is booked, we're awesome! And other days 5 minutes later I'm like, NVM, let's call everyone off and elope, we have nothing done and no time to do it. Right now we're pretty focused on getting wedding bands picked out and our registry completed (so people will stop pestering us about it)!

I personally find both of these tasks fairly overwhelming. I pride myself on being a solid decision maker. I don't mind that role, and play it often at work and in life. But, deciding what to eat for dinner, or what color to paint the kitchen seems way less permanent than picking a wedding band that I plan to wear forever, or dishes I plan to keep forever. I guess considering I picked out a person to be my forever, dishes shouldn't be scary. Which, when I type it out like that I'm like Jess, just buy new fucking dishes if you hate the ones you register for. Okay, good talk Internet.

All that to say we spent a few hours looking at wedding bands this weekend + reading online reviews of random ass household shit all to end up not buying bands and not adding anything to our registries.

The rest of the weekend though? I crammed in more social-ness in 24 hours than in the past month. I met my former roommate in Southside for dinner and drinks on Friday after work. We tried two new to me places, Wingharts + Beehive Coffee.

I loved the vibe at Wingharts - where I tried the falafel "burger". There's no picture because I scarfed it down in two minutes flat. The food was good, the drinks were good & I liked the atmosphere. My gripe? The burgers don't come with any side, and the server made no mention of it when ordering. Plus, for the price, you would think they could fry up a potato to toss on the side. I digress.


After dinner we headed a few blocks down to Beehive Coffee, a local coffee shop known for their boozy coffee cocktails. I oped for a Toasty Almond with Kahlua and Amaretto (and lots of it) all in some coffee & topped with whipped cream. The coffee was good, but I would describe the vibe as don't leave anything unattended and take a shower when you get home. This place looked like it hadn't been wiped down since it opened, and some of the clientele seemed better suited for the inside of a mental hospital.


We chatted 'til almost 11pm before our desire for bedtime got the best of us. Just in time for me to head home, sleep, and wake up to drive back to Southside for a run with ProBike + Run. It took a few miles to get into the groove, but once I did, this run felt effortless. I cranked out 7 miles at a perfect 9:30 average, my longest run in quite some time. I won't start official half marathon training for a few more weeks, but this run got me excited!


I tossed on an extra sweatshirt while I waited for Ciara - we had plans to grab coffee around the corner. We headed to ANOTHER new to me place, Delanie's Coffee. I snagged a coffee and bagel to tide over my post-run hanger.


I loved the vibe here as well. We headed upstairs and were able to grab two comfy chairs and small table. We chatted for 2+ hours before I got a few "Hello, where are you?" texts from Mr. Sass who was finally up & at 'em for the day. So I rushed home to shower & head to look for wedding bands.

After wedding band shopping - I headed to the grocery store, which was a total mad house, before meeting Gretchen for appetizers and a drink at BJ's Brewhouse. I ended up with a flight and loved their Jeremiah Red beer - an Irish style beer.


After all that socializing it was time to head home and veg out on the couch. We spent a few hours yesterday helping Mr. Sass' sister & her fiance move into their new house before it was work time for Mr. Sass and blog time for me.

Unlike pretty much everyone I hung out with this weekend, I don't have MLK Day off of work, so as you read this, I'm busy putting in a full day at the cube farm.

How was your weekend?
Are you a good decision maker?
What's your go-to coffee shop order?

Linking up with :Holly & Tricia for Weekend Highlights

30 comments:

  1. Dang, that is a BUSY weekend! It sounds fun though. Oh man, wedding planning is so stressful. I hear you on that one. Trust me though when I say, it'll all be okay in the end! And wedding band shopping is kinda fun. I thought it was BS though that my band was five times more expensive than Jerry's though lol. Sometimes it sucks being a girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - mine is going to be so much more than his band will be. He hasn't found one yet, but the ones he has liked so far have been under $100!

      Delete
  2. the dishes were really hard! i stressed over it so much. i stressed over the registry too much actually. in the end, someone gifted us dishes that were NOT on the registry and... we love them. seriously, we went and bought another box just to make sure we have enough. we aren't fancy china people (you don't strike me as one either but i could be wrong) so i was always like oh well, we can replace them. my wedding band came with my engagement ring, and KC is on ring #4. because he loses them and he wears a different one in winter/summer. so, you know. forever is adjustable. haha.
    i'm so used to america and things coming with sides that i get really cranky when they don't, including when we went home in 2014 hahaha. like seriously, fries are cheap, throw them on the side of my plate k thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not fancy china people over here. How could you tell? ;)

      I think I'm going to buy the band that matches my engagement ring - it's the one I've liked best so far.

      RIGHT? You can get a huge bag of potatoes for barely any dollars, humor me here people.

      Delete
  3. So did you find wedding bands?!?!?!? :)
    UGH... a vibe that makes you feel like you need to go take a shower. Yikes!
    My go to order? I switch it up constantly. Between iced coffee or cappuccinos to chai teas. I'm all over the coffee board ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No wedding bands yet, he's especially clueless since he's never worn jewelry before.

      Delete
  4. Great job on your long run. I am not a fan of beer, but I do like the flights of craft beers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm slowly starting to enjoy beer. So I love that I can try a few sips of all the different kinds. Mr. Sass drinks IPAs which I KNOW I don't like. So I can't quite just drink some of whatever he gets.

      Delete
  5. How fun you got together with Gretchen. :) But of course, you live in the same town. That's so awesome.

    Did you pick out your wedding bands??? I usually am not much of a decision maker (for the minute daily decision like 'what's for dinner?'), but I do take part in more important ones and I did a lot of the wedding planning by myself (as I was in Germany, and J was in CA at the time).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even imagine trying to plan a wedding from Germany. We've done a lot of divide and conquer on this stuff, especially if one of us doesn't care as much as the other. So I'll be intrigued to see how it all turns out.

      Delete
  6. I have to say that my wedding band is pretty much my favorite THING on planet Earth, so... No pressure!
    Seven miles! I am starting to increase my long run to start half m training in February.
    Sometimes I can make decisions easily, and sometimes I find myself deep in the wormhole of Amazon reviews to figure out which is, for example, the exact best rainbow stacker toy that will capture my child's attention and make him a genius.
    Vanilla latte, always and forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On one hand, Amazon reviews are so helpful, but on the other hand, they really can be a wormhole. I usually try to read the top few positive reviews as well as the top few negative reviews and not spend too much time on it.

      Delete
  7. Wow, that IS a busy weekend! It's important to have weekends like that this time of year though, helps break up the cabin fever a bit. Hope you get some time to relax soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree, especially since this week the winter gloom really seemed to set in. :/

      Delete
  8. Ha ha! Hilarious about the vibe at the Beehive. If you want potatoes at Winghart's, order the salad. Seriously. Mine had more fries than lettuce in it--not a good thing if you're in the mood for a salad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the first time I ordered a salad here in Pittsburgh & it came with fries. I was like, "What???" - other cities DO NOT do that.

      Delete
  9. You are a social butterfly :) Your W place looks just like the Burger Bach here! It is yummy but $$$
    Boozy coffee sounds pretty good lol I could use that some mornings lol JK...
    7 is a good number, that was my long run which wasn't as speedy as yours but it does get ya over that hour mark :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why 7 always seems to be the perfect # of miles for me, long but not LONG LONG.

      I've definitely been known to use some Kahlua or Bailey's in my morning coffee on the weekends. :)

      Delete
  10. I had a bit more of a social week than usual too! I had an impromptu night out with drinks on Wednesday and a happy hour on Thursday, both were fun! Wedding band shopping sounds fun but I bet I'd be overwhelmed too!

    That coffee cocktail place sounds amazing. It looks like a fun hipster/divey spot, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hipster // divey spot is a spot on description for sure.

      Happy hours are my favorite - I should try to organize one with some work friends soon to help beat the winter blues.

      Delete
  11. Wedding planning.... bleh. I'm glad it's an only-do-it-once sort of thing! Sounds like you are a motivated get-it-done kinda girl though and can totally handle it all. Eloping sounded really appealing to my husband and I as well. We didn't, but it was a fun idea to play with!

    That coffee cocktail place sounds cool. I like the coffee idea at least, too bad it's a dive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's our mindset. We're glad we only have to do this once. And I think when we're in the moment we'll be glad we didn't elope, especially living far from my family so many of my people haven't met Mr. Sass yet, I want them to be able to.

      Delete
  12. If you want to call off the band, the dishes and the party... do it! Do whatever you will enjoy more than a big party with fancy china. I did the whole wedding thing, and I hated it! I know I am divorced, but that is not why I hated my wedding. The whole thing just wasn't me. I wanted a small ceremony in the park with a picnic. I got a church wedding, with a big fancy reception, and didn't enjoy it because I was so tired and stressed out. Do whatever will make you happy! and for the registry... ask for money, and save that money to buy stuff you find later, no need to rush on picking out dishes.

    But I will look forward to hearing all about your wedding in the next few months! stay focus, this is a party for 1 day, marriage is way longer than 1 day.




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will say, as much as it seems to pain some of the people around us, they're doing a good job of keeping their opinions out of our wedding. Mr. Sass and I have been making decisions together which I've loved.

      And yeah, I selfishly hope people will just give us money so we can save it or use it for some of our bucket list travels.

      Delete
  13. Yep, I feel you. When Jesse got his first visa approved and move to Australia I was so caught up in the excitement that it took me a few days to get to the point of "holy cow. We're getting married... in less than 6 months".

    And as for The Knot emails. I unsubscribed from them after a week because I was like "do I really need to buy shoe polish/dental floss holders/whatever weird obscure items they insisted I buy or people they insisted I hire". I broke all the wedding rules and totally didn't even send out our invitations until like a month before.. whoooooops. But they were custom tea towels and took a while to print :P

    And as for decision making, I'm pretty hopeless at committing to a decision - especially if it's a big one. I'm someone who hyper analyses decisions because I'm like "oh I really don't want to regret this. This is a lot of money. Am I making the right choice?!" :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha dental floss holders for the whole bridal party! JK. Luckily Gmail auto filters the Knot emails to spam section, so I really don't see them TOO much.

      CUSTOM TEA TOWELS!? How crafty and cute!

      Delete
  14. I'm LMAO. My pink and gray orchid dishes are packed in a box in the attic. WTF was I thinking? You can chill. The dishes really don't matter. You definitely CAN buy others. Oh, and my husband's wedding band slipped off in the ocean. Yeah... They can also be replaced. Beehive Coffee sounds like my kind of joint. Thanks for linking, Jessie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha after all my panicking we did settle on some simple, but nice white dishes with a small blue pattern. I think they'd be something we'd love for a long time.

      Delete
  15. I would be overwhelmed with the whole wedding thing too! I had a big one for my first wedding and well that marriage didn't work so almost 5 years ago my husband and I headed to the mountains for a simple ceremony! Did you know the little chapel we got married in Gatlinburg was one of the buildings that was in the fires that devastated that area? Yea it's sad!
    You'll get all done though, you are too organized not too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love a simple ceremony in the mountains! Sounds like the perfect celebration. A shame that the chapel was destroyed in the recent fires. :(

      Delete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!