Wednesday, January 11, 2017

5 ways you know you're an adult

Originally I was going to share my 2017 blogging goals with you all today - but I decided to hold off. The internet and social media are filled with optimism right now. People are sharing goals and their successes too. Not to rain on your healthy eating, gym going, new year-new me parade, but what about the folks in a weird limbo. The ones who are like, umm, my New Year's resolution is to not have to google how to do basic household shit, or to finally clean the bathroom in my apartment, since I moved in 4 years ago. I've definitely been there. How can you be focused on eating healthier when your first goal is to not screw up boiling water?


So instead of more goals, though I do plan to share those eventually, I'm sharing a quick "checklist" if you will. There are just some things that seem distinctly adult. Like getting excited about a new dish washing sponge.


Or having preferences about trash bags. I mean, they're trash bags. I never thought I could have such a strong opinion about scents, or tie options. But I do. And, my friends, we at the Sass house, are a house divided.

We all know I've bumbled around when it comes to this adulting bit, and wrote all about how to adult when you don't feel qualified. As well as 10 ways to fake it 'til you make it, followed by another 10 ways to fake it. But here are a few ways I know that no matter what, I'm a real grown-up!



1. Buying household supplies
When I go to Target, spend $50 and got nothing from the Dollar Spot to show for it. Instead my cart is filled with toilet paper, laundry detergent and garbage bags.

2. Two words. Open Enrollment
I think we can all agree that for the most part, the Affordable Care Act is not quite so affordable. Nothing less fun than choosing between bad & worse, rock and a hard place, or one bad insurance plan over another.

3. Ordering more checks
You grow up, you get a checking account, you get a big stack of four check booklets from your bank, and you think to yourself, there is no way I will EVER use all of these. WRONG. That's how much adulting I've been doing. I used up all my checks & actually do need to get more. Instead, I'm riding it out until after marriage since we may combine accounts or change some names. So, no, I can't write you a check.

4. Going to a party that isn't BYOB
What? Yeah. That's a thing. One day, you'll just get a party invite & you'll ask what you can bring and the answer will be NOTHING. Or something mundane, like a salad. This is a huge adulting milestone. No longer to you need to pack a bag full of wine bottles or toss beer bottles into a cooler. It's provided. And you, in turn, will do the same some day.

5. Sleeping in (until 8AM)
I run most Saturday mornings. But, when I can, I like to save Sundays for "sleeping in" except that usually ends up being 8AM. Or, once in a blue moon, 9AM. I mean seriously. Even if I fight it, and roll around in bed for a while I'm up and moving by 830, max. That's adult as hell.

What are some of those moments that just make you go, yup, this is adulting.

And shameless plug - if you missed it, check out my giveaway from Monday, $25 Dick's Sporting Goods GC! It's easy peasy to enter & open through Monday, 1/16/17.

Linking up with Amanda.

21 comments:

  1. Adulting is definitely wondering what the easiest way to clean my shower is. I adulted hard yesterday. And then I checked my budget. Even more adulting. And definitely the "sleeping in" thing. Sleeping in to me is 830 haha, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The other thing, if I ever do manage to sleep in all it does it screw up my sleep schedule for the whole rest of the week! Not even worth it!

      Delete
  2. when I got excited over a new cleaning appliance! i got a steamer and i was super excited LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, oh you adult you. I still just wear all my clothes wrinkled, 'cause I'm the laziest.

      Delete
  3. You know how I feel about "Open Enrollment" - poke me in the eyes with hot pokers would feel the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're part of the reason that one came to mind. :/ For as much grief as the process gave me I at least felt I had a decent option thanks to my work. Who knows how things may change now though...

      Delete
  4. Hahah love these. I recently downloaded Ibotta and the Target Cartwheel app and honestly.. they're probably the most used apps on my phone from the past 2 weeks haha. I'm such a nerd but I LOVE watching the amount saved/earned back grow and grow. Also.. geeking out over household supplies too. During a white elephant exchange during Christmas Paul almost went home with a HUGE tub of cleaning supplies- toilet paper, kleenex, clorox wipes, etc. I was so mad when it got stolen haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, I would have been so excited about the cleaning supplies, those buggers are EXPENSIVE!

      Delete
  5. 100 times yes to the last one. even if i try and sleep in, i don't make it any later than 8am. most days i'm up by 6am whether i want to be or not lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And when I do sleep in it just becomes a cycle. I stay up late, then I have to sleep in & then it goes on forever. -__-

      Delete
  6. My sister and I call household purchases the "unreturnables", which are the toilet paper, shampoo, lotion, toothpaste, things that we have to have, and cost a lot.

    I haven't ordered checks in forever!! I do love electronic payments for everything!

    The one thing that always makes me feel like an adult, is when I get my paycheck, pay all my bills (on time!) and have very little money left, it's exhilarating and very depressing at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The unreturnables, I like that name.

      Paying bills is always the worst, even if I do have money leftover, I still hate passing it out.

      Delete
  7. Yup, yup, yup to all of these. I actually have to order new checks tomorrow - ha!

    I know, I'm honestly still shocked ALL THE TIME that I'm a "grown-up." I mean, I still have to call my mom to answer my cooking and household questions and such, but technically, I am? I guess? Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I don't feel like a grownup - but when I see a teenager? Yeah, I'm a grownup. Haha.

      Delete
  8. OMG this is so funny!! I joke that I'm up for anything as long as I'm in bed by 9 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had the commitment to be in bed by 9. Honestly, when I was still in college I was in bed religiously by 10PM, no ifs ands or butts, with occasional weekend exceptions. Now that I'm a real grownup I can't seem to make it happen!

      Delete
  9. Haha, the wonderous world of adulting... it's amazing how often you can surprise yourself in your adult life.

    I don't agree with the ordering checks though. What do you still use them for? All my bills are online. I do have a check book, but I haven't written a check in ages! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have wonderful news which is that I found a book of checks that must have been hiding from me. I mostly use them for rent. I got them in 2009 & they've lasted me all this time. A lot of them were used to settle up with roommates before smart phones and payment apps were super common.

      Delete
  10. Waaaait. Do you actually use checks?!

    I've never ever used a check and I only ever have maybe two clients who will pay for things with a check and that's because they're really old :P Do you not have BPAY?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely feel you on the sleeping in till maybe 8 am. Also only being able to handle two drinks or I'm hungover. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Definitely can't handle my booze anymore. Plus I am satisfied and cool to stop after one or two, unless it's a super tasty cocktail. Those are just so tasty!

      Delete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!