Wednesday, January 4, 2017

2017 Goals : Personal

Personal goals used to be the only type of goals I made. I lumped everything under that header. Even if it was related to health or money. I mean, it was my PERSONAL health, wasn't it? Recently, like the past two months, I've realized that personal goals should be just for me. Things I do because they give me warm fuzzies. While I enjoy saving money, and the eventual reward of taking a trip, or being able to afford something in particular, the process itself is not always enjoyable. Personal goals, however, are. With the exception of cleaning, I enjoy the process that it will take to get to each of the goals below.

If you don't already view personal goals in this light, I urge you to. Not that there won't be give & take in the process, but the decision of turning off the TV to read a book is a whole lot easier than forgoing a purchase of something because I know it will pay off in the long run.


Pay my library fine & read 30+ books | Ugh, you all may remember a library fine I got, that I totally didn't deserve. This was back at the end of July, and embarrassingly enough, I haven't read a single book since. Though it still irks me to pay the fine, since I am positive I am not at fault, I miss reading.

Complete a gallery wall in the living room | I've hung up a few photos and love the personality it brings to the house. I've been given the go-ahead on a full gallery wall, so I'm eager to find frames I love and pictures that will bring life to the space while keeping with our travel theme.

Try 2 new recipes each month |
I'm constantly pinning new recipes and seeing things I want to try. But it's so easy to fall into the routine of making things that don't require glancing at a recipe & I know taste good. When I do find a winner of a recipe though it's a great success to be able to add it to our repertoire.

Cross 2 items off my 30 before 30 | Taking a train cross-country should be easy peasy as we plan to make that our main mode of transportation in Switzerland. There are several others I'd love to complete. I'm hoping to squeeze in a cooking class (maybe even as a date with Mr. Sass).

Go to Kansas | Random much? Yeah, but not really. My parents made it their goal to take my brother & I to all 50 states. They were able to get us to 48 by the time I turned 24, which is pretty damn impressive. My brother only needs North Dakota to complete his 50 state quest. I need Kansas & North Dakota. My mom said to plan a trip & she'll make it happen. So, I'll be planning a long weekend in Kansas this year.

{If you're from Kansas, or super passionate about any particular city to visit, holla at your girl}

Set up a cleaning schedule | I am not a naturally neat person. I'm not dirty. I'm just the type of person that will wear my clean clothes out of the laundry basket instead of folding them up. Mr. Sass is not that way at all. We've decided that for both of us to keep our sanity we really need some sort of schedule or routine to make sure the house doesn't end up a disaster. Honestly, since he's the one that cares & notices the dirt before I do, I'm leaving the skeleton of this one up to Mr. Sass with input from me as necessary.

Find a church | This was on the list for 2015, and while Mr. Sass and I put in a good faith effort (couldn't resist the pun) - we can't quite cross this one off yet. In the past we've only tried somewhere new if we're both able to attend a Sunday morning service together, but since that man's work schedule is a total nightmare I'm considering going out on my own. Heading to a new church most Sundays and marking down those that I enjoy so we can head back together when we're able.

Travel somewhere new | We are heading to Switzerland for our honeymoon, but outside of that I want to make sure to explore somewhere new. Definitely Kansas, but I'm thinking beyond that. A trip not yet planned, not sure where or when. Maybe a day trip, maybe a week long trip. Who knows. I'm always scouring the Internet for cheap flights // deals.

Intentional monthly dates | Mr. Sass and I don't get tons of time together. So when we do we try to make the best of it. We're great about squeezing in hikes or other activities when we have sometime, but I want to be more intentional about finding new and exciting activities for us each month. Whether that's dinner somewhere new, a new to us hike or heading ice skating in the winter. The big part is, I want to make sure we're planning this ahead of time, not bumbling around looking for something to do together when we finally do get the time.

I'll be talking more about my money goals and blogging goals in the next few weeks, as well as my overall fitness goals - with a special breakdown for my Spring training // running goals. So make sure to check back in.

What are some of your personal 2017 goals?
Who has been to Kansas?
 Where's somewhere new you'd love to travel?
What's your favorite date night!?

Linking up with Gretchen & Kristen + Amanda

44 comments:

  1. i LOVE the library! i just wish I didn't have to wait a million years for best sellers/new books.

    Going to try and make it to NOLA this year for a girls trip :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good news is, I'm so culturally unaware, I usually don't find out about a "best seller" until it isn't one anymore!

      Ooh - have you been to NOLA before? I was only there once, but it was such a fun atmosphere with so much to do!

      Delete
  2. I love these!! And your 30 Before 30 list has me thinking. I turn 29 this month and I think I'm going to make a list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! It's such a fun motivator. Even once I turn 30 I plan to make another type of bucket list or something to keep me motivated.

      Delete
  3. Good for you finding a new church. That's always an adventure.
    I had to laugh at the library one. I still remember the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UGH - I finally paid my fine, but it still just GRINDS MY GEARS.

      Delete
  4. Do you follow Kerry @ Yoga on the Run? She lives in Kansas. She doesn't update her blog much but she is on Twitter. That's so awesome that you've already been 10 48 states! Do you count airport layovers as state visits, or does it have to be actual time spent in the state?

    Your goals are great, good luck!!! By the way, did you not do a winter bucket list? I don't remember seeing one but maybe I just missed it.

    Really sorry about your library fine. That sucks and is not fair. But if it hasn't been resolved by now might be best to just pay it and move on. Maybe the universe will reward you with positive karma somewhere down the road, like what just happened with your redemption AG award!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't follow here, I'll have to take a peek.

      Airport layovers don't count - the family rule if you have to eat a minimum of one meal in the state. I would say I've sort of cheated Arkansas - but I have eaten donuts there twice. The rest of the states I've genuinely been to & spent time in.

      Nope - a winter bucket list totally slipped my mind, you didn't miss it. Maybe I'll still whip one up. I love having them to peek at when I'm short on inspiration for what to do.

      UGH - I know. I got the library to reduce it since the book was SUPER cheap new on Amazon, but, still. I could always use more good Karma, so I think you're right, I should just pay it.

      Delete
  5. Looks like a good solid list!

    go pay your fine!! I couldn't get through a whole week without getting books from my library. They offer audiobooks online, that I can just download to my phone, it's the most amazing feature they offer and I LOvE it!!

    Cant' wait to see your progress on the goals this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll be happy to know I paid it - and instantly checked out 5 different books!

      Delete
  6. Hello! New reader from the eastern side of PA! I love the idea of a cleaning schedule. Also, 2 new recipes per month is great - I find that I cook the same things over again because it's easy and I know what to buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, that's my problem with cooking too. I love that I don't have to think about it. So even when I make new recipes I try to find simple ones that don't use tons of ingredients I don't typically buy. I made a new to me enchilada soup this week that was delicious!

      And welcome! GO PA! Hope to see you back around. :)

      Delete
  7. The first time I ever flew on an airplane was to Kansas when I was ten years old. My parents were thinking about moving there. (Spoiler: We didn't.) Things I remember: a park with a train in it, that we rented a minivan (so exciting to sit the way back!), and a big thunderstorm. So I'm not very much help. :-)
    These are all fun goals! Except the cleaning schedule, which I could definitely use as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, a park you say? With a train? I'll have to look into that. Haha. Kidding.

      I'll definitely post the cleaning schedule if we get something worked out. Some things like kitchen counters seem to get wiped down all the time because I'll do it while I cook, the bathroom on the other hand is definitely neglected.

      Delete
  8. No lie- finding a church is on my list of goals for the year too!! There's one right down the street from me that I've been meaning try out and I WILL go this Sunday. I'll let you know how it is :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you lived nearby, I would invite you to church, but alas you don't! I know that God will provide a body of Christ to fellowship with as you look this year!

    And I like how you lumped all these different goals together; you have a lot of variety and an exciting year together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sweet Emily. I do wish I had more friends I could tag along to church with. All in time. :)

      Delete
  10. Looks like a great list! if get half of those things checked off it will be an incredible year :) Cheers to doing it all.
    You are quite the traveler, that is awesome how many places you have already been. Switzerland will be amazing!
    I am exactly the same way, I am clean, but I don't have superb organizational skills lol sometimes I let stuff sit like laundry instead of putting it away lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely figure I would rather have a messy house and a full life and spirit than the other way around. Those who mind don't matter. Unless it's Mr. Sass of course. Haha.

      Delete
  11. These are great goals! I need to utilize the library more too. That's impressive that you've been to 48 states and you're working on making it 50.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents made it a real priority and the older I get the more I am glad that they did.

      Delete
  12. i love the way you are looking at personal goals. i put some goals on my list - in my planner, not on my blog - that are a bit silly but will make me happy and just putting them on my list instead of all the less enjoyable things like paying off debt - it made me feel so good!
    seriously girl, i will pay that library fine for you. it gives me the heebie jeebies that you've not been reading all this time ;) books are life!
    KC and I aren't big on dates or date nights, but when we do, I prefer day dates - like going out for breakfast or lunch and a movie. It's always a fun day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UGH - I hated every minute of it, but the fine is PAID! And I already checked out like 5 books.

      Delete
  13. So cool that you've been to almost all the states! The task seems totally daunting. I want to visit all the provinces/territories in Canada and even that seems sort of daunting. Right now I've been to about half!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would definitely go on big trips when I was younger and hit multiple states. I remember when we did a trip to the Northeast, we did Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, and Delaware, plus maybe one or two more I am forgetting, all in one trip.

      Delete
  14. great goals! id really love to travel to italy but with a one year old thats not in the cards, maybe my second destination is more reasonable... driving around California's pacific coast highway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CA's Pacific Coast Highway sounds incredible! And like something you could make tiny human friendly if you needed to!

      Delete
  15. Ok.. VERRRYY cool that you've been to so many states. That's super cool. I can't say I've ever been to Kansas. The whole Kansas City being in Missouri thing always confuses me haha. I've been there countless times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right!? So confusing. Thinking that may be where we fly into, but then drive to see cooler places from there.

      Delete
  16. Your personal goals sound PERFECT!

    I feel you on the library fine - that happened to me a few years back (they blamed me for damage on a book that was damaged when I got it - but silly me didn't realise that perhaps I should have made them make a not of it when I loaned it out) and I was totally bitter about it and didn't borrow anything at the library for yeaaaars. Until I started volunteering with the little guy I help with his reading and I needed to be able to borrow kids books!

    Have you looked at Scott's Cheap Flights? It's an email newsletter where they send out flight deals and there are some SERIOUSLY awesome bargains. To the point where I kind of wish we didn't have jobs so we could just travel the globe, ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about waiting until I got married & then just getting a new card with a new name // address. Haha, but I figured I wanted to read before May.

      Delete
  17. 1) I don't really have annual goals. I do make seasonal goals, though. One of my winter goals is to lose a total of 40lbs by March 20 (I've lost 29 so far).
    2) No, I've never been to Kansas. It is one of the 17 states that I need to visit on my list. (I am very envious that you are 2 states away from completing all 50!. That is VERY impressive!)
    3) Somewhere new I'd like to travel - Oregon and Washington
    4) Favorite date night - when we see the touring Broadway musicals that come through Louisville

    Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 29 / 40!? You are seriously on a roll - I feel like those last 11 LBS are definitely within reach!

      Oregon and Washington are definitely places I want to go back to. I definitely explore differently now that I'm older and can plan vacations on my own.

      Delete
  18. Great goals. I'm thinking about taking a nice trip in 2017 too. I talk about it in my post here https://runwright.net/2017/01/05/currently-1-5-17/

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've driven *through* Kansas. Stayed at a hotel near Ft. Riley and I ate at Qdoba :)

    The library thing would totally leave me wary of the place. Blah.

    Thanks for linking up today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I mean considering our family rule is that you eat a meal in the state for it to count...technically you've "been" to Kansas.

      Delete
  20. Gah, I'm a librarian so I love the library! I really hope all works out and you can start going more so you can read more!

    I've never been to Kansas. I think that's amazing you've been to almost every single state though. I hope you have a great time. And ooh have fun in Switzerland too! I'd like to do some type of trip this year. Maybe a long weekend or something? I went to Chicago for the weekend last year and I went to London, England for a week (that was a long time planning/saving and I'd never left the country before) so I know this year I won't be able to go anywhere far, but if I can find a good deal on a nice weekend or something? That would be great.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try an app called Skiplagged - it shows cheap flights from where you're located. So, if you aren't dead set on going somewhere specific, but just on going somewhere new it can help you find the best deals. Especially if you're flexible with dates.

      Delete
  21. Lately, I've gotten only digital books from the library. It irks me that you have to pay for a damage that wasn't your fault.... but if you think of it in the way that you didn't have to buy all the books that you read, it might seem like a small price to pay.

    You have some great goals on your list for the new year. I haven't been to Kansas, but would love to see a few more US states.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like, I KNOW that by comparison the fine pales to the value I receive from the library. Just a hard pill to swallow given how much I love and respect books.

      Delete
  22. My 2017 fitness goal is to never miss a Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck Katelyn! Mondays can be tough for sure.

      Delete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!