Monday, December 5, 2016

Weekend Highlights : Deep Creek, Maryland

Happy Monday! How was your weekend? Mine was spent away with some friends, but that meant it wasn't quite a normal routine. No Saturday morning grocery shopping, no early Saturday morning run. And no lazy Sunday morning spent drinking half a pot of coffee.

After work on Friday I headed to Deep Creek, MD to meet up with a few friends for a girls weekend. We found a deal on a tiny cabin at Blue Moon Rising. It's only a 2 hour drive from Pittsburgh, so it's the perfect distance for a quick weekend away.

We stayed in the Bella Donna cabin which featured a queen sized bed & a lofted sleeping area for two more beds. We loved the big kitchen island since it was perfect for eating dinner or playing a game. Though we didn't get to enjoy the firepit, it had the perfect overlook of Deep Creek Lake.




Once we arrived Friday night we headed to the Moonshadow Cafe, run by the same folks as Blue Moon Rising. We enjoyed some heavy appetizers before heading back to the cabin. We opened a bottle of wine and had a pretty late night by my standards (12:45AM) before we finally headed to bed.

Saturday had a lazy start as we made bacon & egg sandwiches, coffee  and mimosas while we talked over our options for the day. We decided to head to Swallow Falls State Park.



We hiked a quick loop taking us past Muddy Creek Falls, Swallow Falls and Tolliver Falls before we made it back to the car.




Then we headed to Mountain State Brewing to enjoy a beer before we headed back to our tiny home. I'm slowly trying out beer and finding out what I like and what I don't, so I signed myself up for a flight of 4 beers, all made by Mountain State Brewing.


After our post-hike beers it was time for a late lunch & eventually a late dinner as we tried some of the different wines we each brought, and played a board game, Ticket to Ride. Ticket to Ride was fun, and even more fun since I won. :) After that, we dove into the depths of the YouTube watching music videos, and making our own tribute, which hopefully will never make its way to the Internet.

We were "early" to bed since we had lots to do Sunday morning before checkout.

Sunday was filled with grocery shopping, meal prep, lots of laundry, and general cleaning around the house.

Now it's Monday again & I don't quite feel ready for another work week, but I'm sure I'll make it through.

How was your weekend?
Anyone ever been to Deep Creek, MD?
What signifies "the weekend" to you? 
For me, it's drinking lots of coffee, and a Saturday morning long run.

Linking up with Holly & Tricia 

26 comments:

  1. Looks so fun! I love the healthy mix of hiking and drinking, haha. I'm not sure what signifies the weekend to me... my weekends all look very different from each other. I think I need to get into a little bit of a routine that signifies the weekend though, because the weekend comes and goes in a blink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The things that signify the weekend to me aren't even necessarily fun things, although I do enjoy grocery shopping. But oftentimes I'll save my errands for the weekend when I can get them done all at once.

      Delete
  2. I've always wanted to go to Deep Creek! Looks gorgeous & glad you had fun! Great little weekend getaway. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was further away, but it's honestly only 2 hours. Which, is perfect for a weekend. And I was surprised by all the State Parks nearby!

      Delete
  3. Wow, what an adorable getaway! I have a love/hate relationship with weekends that get me all out of whack too. They're great for the soul but horrible for the state of my house. We went to cut our Christmas tree on Saturday and stayed tucked in yesterday. Got a lot of freelance work done. Jessica Marie @ flashfittrainer.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, EXACTLY my thoughts. I had so much fun, but I got nothing done, which made this past week kind of crazy.

      Delete
  4. Those waterfalls look amazing! I'm going to have to look them up! It sounds like a fantastic getaway weekend! Did you try all four beers? Did you drink all of them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did try all 4 & I did drink all 4 too! Didn't love them all, but interesting to taste the differences. I'm really not a Belgian Wheat fan I'm learning, but I do usually enjoy a Stout. Interesting to discover!

      Delete
  5. I laughed at the "happy" being marked out ;)
    What a cute little cabin. Looks like something off of "Tiny House" on HGTV ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what it was like! They were all tiny cabins. Definitely fun for a weekend, but no way I could live in one full time!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a fun weekend! I love Ticket to Ride :) And the hike looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of Ticket to Ride before last weekend, but it was fun, and I liked that unlike Risk there was a set ending time when a player ran out of trains.

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful sight. I would love to go trekking in a lovely place like this. And have a beer at the end of the day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my ideal day for sure, hiking, followed by drinking & someone else making dinner for me! Haha.

      Delete
  8. Strangely enough, though I'm about 5.5 hours east, I once went on a friend-cation to Deep Creek Lake with my college friends (maybe 7 years ago now)! We rented a huge house and enjoyed some time away. It was the last group vacation before they all started having kids, so it was a great memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see how that would be such a fun place to have a big house in the summer. Plenty to do, and let people come & go as they please.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like such a fun girls weekend! That cabin is too cute and the scenery is gorgeous. Ticket to Ride is my favorite board game, We have US and Europe - Both fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's Europe too? I had never heard of it before last weekend! Definitely a fun game. Games that combine luck and also strategy are a win in my book!

      Delete
  10. This looks like so much fun! I love that you're slowly trying beer.. love it:) Making little trips of trying new breweries is like, my favorite hobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too if you change that to wineries. Not that I won't try breweries, I just love tasting everyone elses, or getting a flight so I can figure out what types of beers I enjoy, and not get stuck with one that is BLAH.

      Delete
  11. What a fun weekend! I think it was a perfect get away for some lovely ladies! So glad you had fun but I'm with you, ugggh it's the week again!
    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And I loved that it was such a unique place to stay versus a simple hotel room. But back to the grind again, waiting for the weekend, again.

      Delete
  12. Your girls weekend looked perfect!

    "The weekend" to me is always spending time with friends or family or doing a whole lot of nothing and recharging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to recharging! That was definitely the theme of this getaway weekend, though I think I just gave myself more to do when I got back, I enjoyed a few days away from home.

      Delete
  13. Can I just say how much I love that your girls weekend was spent in the woods, in an adorable rustic cabin and included beautiful hiking? Who needs shopping or a spa, right? I'm going to have to check out Ticket To Ride. We like to play games at family functions. Thanks for linking, Jessie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was perfect. Even thinking about shopping this time of year makes me annoyed. There are just people everywhere. So a little hiking and a little drinking, with hardly anyone around was ideal.

      Delete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!