Wednesday, December 14, 2016

A Year in Review : Saying Goodbye to 2016

2016 was busy. Like crazy busy in my opinion. I visited 6 countries, I went to 6 weddings - struggling to think of another thing I did in 'sixes', but I'm sure there was something.

I asked a friend why the years seem to go by faster and faster as I get older. She wisely told me it was because it was now a smaller portion of my overall life. And there seems to be some logic to that. Not sure if it's entirely true, or just that I seem to have a lot going on. Either way, I'm about ready to declare 2017 the year of the nap.

I feel like Blog Land is overrun with year in review posts as we get into the end of December, and for good reason. I write this for me. I love that you all come along on this ride with me, but I love looking back on old posts, they're such a great memory jogger and digital scrapbook of sorts.

So, if you missed it...here's 2016 in a (picture heavy) nutshell...

January

My first (and maybe last) Polar Bear Plunge. I did not come out of this one unscathed.


And plenty of hiking...even in the snow.


February

Reel Big Fish live (again).


Two whole years since we brought this big bully home with us.


And, my constant countdown to our New Zealand trip! Where I could literally copy every picture here & still not do that trip justice. But here are recaps if you missed it!




March

A visit to see my friend Annie in Michigan.


April

A hike at Mt. Davis - the tallest point in PA.


Before jetting off to Europe! Croatia, Slovenia, Montenegro & Venice!





May



An overnight backpacking trip on the Black Forest Trail.



 And my first ever AG award at the Team Alex 5K!


 A trip to the Indy 500 with my Dad!


June

Red Jumpsuit Apparatus live in concert.


More trails, more hiking.


Getting fancy for a 40th anniversary party!


 A whole weekend in Milwaukee with some great friends. Rocking those pool-side drinks.


July

A 4th of July 5K and another AG award!


A trip to Presque Isle to enjoy the bike path & beaches.


AND SO MANY PICKLES!


 A day date tasting wine & hiking new trails.


August

Two Face 10K - my first trail race & quite the challenge.


A mini road trip to taste wine in Lake Milton, OH & to catch up with an old friend before she moved abroad.


September

Another wedding - and another chance to hike somewhere new. We explored Erie. Elk Creek Wildlife area, Erie Bluffs State Park & Presque Isle State Park.


Then it was onto Ragnar#3


October

The BF and I headed to the the PA Grand Canyon, Ricketts Glen State Park & the Poconos, and we came back halfway to being Mr & Mrs Sass! AKA we got engaged.



Then it was apple picking & a day full of fall fun.


Before heading off to Roanoke to hike a section of the Appalachian Trail.


A new to me hike at Ohiopyle with Ciara.


November

A trip to Erie to explore the Erie wine trail!


Another 5K, where I placed as 3rd overall female!


A trip to a new Brewery with an old friend over Thanksgiving!


December

A girls weekend away - with more new hiking trails.



One final 5K & one final AG award!


2 more weeks to go, which will be filled with holiday parties, time with friends and family.

Thanks 2016 - I know you were rough for some, but you were pretty damn good to me. Somehow, 2017 is looking like it's going to top it! Bring it on 2017. Bring on married life, a honeymoon, more running, more racing, and more miles of new trails.

What was the best thing to happen to you in 2016?
What was the worst?
What are you most looking forward to in 2017?

Linking up with Holly, Tricia  & Amanda

30 comments:

  1. Your year may have been busy and flew by, but it looks really good and so full! 2016, like a lot of people I've spoken with, was just not my year. Despite the bitter feelings I have towards it, I have to remember the good things... I went to a butterfly garden for the first time, tried stand-up paddle boarding in Cape Cod, went to Salem for Halloween, bought a car, got Spinning certified, completed a black light 5k and a Night Nation 5k, went to Santa Con in NYC, tried out a bunch of new fitness classes, and started applying to grad schools. Doesn't seem to shabby! I just need to write it all out to really see that it was fuller than I thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't seem like a whole lot until you list it out like that, and then it's like WOW, I DID ALL THE THINGS!

      Write it out! I love reading other year end recaps!

      Delete
  2. what a great year for you! loved all the races.

    europe -- oh, i want to tour more of all their wonderful countries but waiting for my daughter to be older so she can enjoy it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a great goal, and I know she'll be so glad you waited! My parents took us to most of the US, which is great, because I feel like I can focus some time traveling abroad!

      Delete
  3. I think you can call this the year of the AG awards! You rocked those out this year!!

    I love reading Year in review post! gives me an idea of what bloggers loved about their life.

    Best thing? it's hard to say, so many great things happened. But I'm always glad that my son is healthy, sounds broad, but that is always the best part of my life, when he is happy and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a great way to think of a year in review post. It looks like I love hiking, running & winning AG awards. Haha.

      Healthy, happy family is always such a bonus.

      Delete
  4. I was waiting for the October pic of the engagement ring!!! ;)
    What a great year!!! 2017 is going to be pretty amazing for you though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right!? 2016 rocked, but I think 2017 will be just as good. It would be hard not to be!

      Delete
  5. Ooh I love all the hike pics. That one in February with the mountain and the waterfall... one of my favs.
    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The waterfall & mountain are NEW ZEALAND, which was seriously such an incredible part of my year. :)

      Delete
  6. Ah, What a great year for you! I've been meaning to do a 2016 review as well. It feels like it was an uneventful year - Mostly at home with the little ones - But I know once I start looking back I'll remember how much actually DID happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew that there were a few BIG things that happened in 2016, but I forgot how much other goodness there was until I sat down & looked through my old posts, which is why I am SO GLAD I have this little blog! So, I hope you'll do the same.

      Delete
  7. WOW you had a wonderful year of running, hiking, traveling... It all looks SO incredible Jess! :) Merry Christmas! It's going to be another wonderful year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily! All my favorite things! Merry Christmas to you as well!

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a great year! Here's to 2017 being even better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rah rah rah! Yeah! I feel like you had a great year full of fun races, so I'm excited to see what you sign up for & run in 2017!

      Delete
  9. 6 is my favorite number, so I knew that 2016 would be a great year! It really was super busy, and I'm looking forward to an even better 2017. Thanks for sharing your recap..you had an incredible year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gretch! You had a seriously big 2016 too! Excited to get together once all the holiday craziness calms down. :)

      Delete
  10. I didn't even know you had a dog! Can I request more photos of him/her in 2017??

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nevermind, I went back and found his adoptiversary post and see that he doesn't live with you anymore :((( have you thought about getting another dog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, have I ever! I would love to have a pup & even a PitBull at that, since we had such a great experience before. I don't think I'm quite at a place that it would be fair to the pup yet though. We have odd schedules & are gone a lot, traveling or elsewhere. But I think a few years down the line when we're a little more settled? For sure.

      Delete
  12. What a amazing year!! It may be hard to top that New Zealand trip, I am in awe of the beauty!!
    I love hiking so much, you have some big peaks in PA, mine aren't quite as big but I sure do love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NZ was definitely such a great trip. I knew it would be beautiful, but I was truly in awe and would go back in a heartbeat!

      Delete
  13. You really did have such a busy and memory filled year! I am so excited to see what 2017 has in store for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Though I'm already kind of biased thinking it's gonna be a great year. I mean my WEDDING DAY! AHHH.

      Delete
  14. What an eventful (and exciting! Woo engagement!) filled year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca. Sometimes it doesn't all feel huge until you lay it out & see everything that happened. :)

      Delete
  15. What a great year it has been... I love the year in review posts!
    Congrats again on your engagement - that must have been a highlight!

    The highlight of my year was celebrating my birthday with my (twin) sister and going skiing in Italy.

    The worst part was Trump for president :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skiing in Italy sounds seriously wonderful!

      It sounds like Trump getting elected was definitely a low point of 2016 for a lot of people.

      Delete
  16. KC said the same thing about time flying faster as we get older. Because when we are kids, a day seems like FOREVER. but as an adult, we're like a day is nothing! etc etc. you had a very busy 2016! can't wait to see what you get up to in 2017, besides the naps of course. i am too tired to think of the best vs worst things in 2016 lol but off the top of my head best is we sold our house and worst is we got t-boned by some guy who doesn't believe in stop signs (or licenses, insurance or green cards, which i totally get the last one because they are expensive). i can't wait for 2017 mainly because of Oz & NZ - i've looked back on your posts so often to help me plan!

    ReplyDelete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!