Monday, November 7, 2016

Weekend Highlights : Blast from the Past

Welp, friends, it's Monday again. No thanks. BUT, I've got some fun plans with friends this week & a mini weekend getaway planned, so I'm hoping the work week will fly by. Furthermore for the next 4 weeks Mr.Sass is working daylight hours - so we'll get to share dinner together, and more importantly, the cooking, all before we flop on the couch and catch up on Netflix. It's the little things.

How was your weekend? I hope you'll share some of the best parts in the comments. :) I love seeing what you all are up to.

Saturday morning was chilly - but I dragged my ass out of bed for a "long run". After talking about 5K training in my goals post last week I've put in some hard work to start off my super short training cycle. While most of our Pro Bike & Run group were doing an easy 3-5 miles in preparation for a local race on Sunday - I ended up running my first two miles easy and then picking up the pace for some negative splits. 9:37, 9:20, 8:37, 8:12 & 7:59! For 5 miles on the dot. Those last two definitely weren't easy, but it felt so good to look down & see my final mile split.


Then it was time for grocery shopping - don't fear, I've got my grocery haul pic up live on Instagram this morning too. Lots of good stuff on the menu this week, so I'll share pics as we make things too to show how they turn out. We're testing out a few new meals. Including Budget Byte's Slow Cooker Jambalaya that got two thumbs up when we ate a big bowl for Sunday dinner. We'll probably add a spicy pepper or two next time + some Old Bay seasoning, and maybe some cooked shrimp to top it off.

This weekend was wedding #6 of 2016. Mr. Sass & I are pretty much pros by now - though I still can't remember to buy a card more than an hour before the ceremony starts. But, considering we're already up for 4 weddings for 2017, it looks like I'll get a chance at redemption. On a side note, as of now, the next wedding we'll go to will be our own. WHAT?


The guest list included lots of friends I haven't seen since college graduation. Including my literal first friend ever at Duquesne.  Our dorms had visiting hours between male and female floors, and I managed to get kicked out of his room and off the floor my very first night in the dorms since apparently we were hanging out too late.


And one more blast from the past, a former classmate of mine, who completed my major with me. I learned I was referred to as "Hardcore Jessie" due to a brief self defense lesson I gave one night in college.  If you hold a key or two between your knuckles it'll deliver a much more powerful punch if you ever catch yourself in a pinch. I never used it, but always walked home prepared when I lived in a not so awesome neighborhood off campus. I thought my classmate was drunk and making up the Hardcore Jessie part, until she texted our picture off to another former classmate, who responded "OMG HARDCORE JESSIE!" Well, alright then folks.


Sunday was spent recovering on the couch, as I moaned that I might puke, and Mr. Sass alternated between being helpful and comforting and laughing at me in my misery. I finally rallied for a Target run where we found a new shower curtain and bath mat - since ours was on its last leg. Adulting at its finest.

What was your weekend highlight?
What's your tried & true hangover cure?
How long have you and your longest friend known each other?

Linking up with Holly & Tricia  

21 comments:

  1. A Target run would definitely be a good reason for me to rally! My go-to hangover cure is Goldfish crackers and yellow Gatorade. Idk why, it just works like a charm for me. My longest friend and I have known each since 7th grade! We went through a period of time where we drifted apart but thank goodness we drifted back together because we're like two peas in a pod now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm. Not a huge yellow gatorade fan, but gatorade would have helped me for sure on Sunday!

      Delete
  2. My longest friend & I have known each other since we were 5 years old! You'll meet her at my birthday trip :) I moved away in 5th grade, but we still kept in touch & are still really close after 22 years! Hardcore Jessie, love itttt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so impressed that you've kept in touch so long. I feel like it would have been so easy when you were young to just NOT.

      Delete
  3. I love the Hardcore Jessie nickname :) Sadly, I don't have a good hangover cure... just lots of water, tylenol and sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have one - but didn't feel like getting up to go get it. Serves me right I guess.

      Delete
  4. This year we only went to 1 wedding but for a while it seemed that we were always heading to one. It's fun to see old friends from college or even high school. I hope you enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping we're out of this phase soon, it's an EXPENSIVE one!

      Delete
  5. ahhh - old friends are the best.
    I never go running without keys in my knuckles like that ;) I have my black belt in Kung-Fu & that's my go-to move if I have to throw a punch.
    I'm the same way too about always having to stop for a card on the way to a wedding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black Belt in Kung-FU!? Hard core Rebecca Jo is more like it! I learned the key trick and to punch in the nose // eyes trick a few years back in a self defense class.

      Delete
  6. Oh no! Hangovers are awful. I would say, Gatorade and crackers? Water before going to bed?

    that is an awesome nickname!

    Quick suggestion(that I learned from attending Kid's birthday parties) - buy a bunch of wedding cards, like 10 in one shot and you won't have to worry about finding one at the last minute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I definitely skimped on the water before bed part. So serves me right I guess.

      UGH - I should. But, I think that was how I ended up finding like 10 Hanukkah cards when I moved. Like, how many did I think I was going to send out to my Jewish friends?

      Delete
  7. ugh i need new bath mats so bad. ours is way past its last leg. it's like, on its last pinky toe. haha.
    does anyone buy a card earlier than an hour before? i always mean to.. and then i don't. and we are always signing it in the car. eh. whatever!
    i love budget bytes so i will have to check out that recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours was foul. Like, we had to rip it up off the floor because it was stuck, and some of the backing is still stuck to the floor. Oops.

      Yup. That's us. Always. Signing cards & writing checks in the car.

      Delete
  8. I love your hair in that last pic! I'm thinking of doing something more with my hair than either wearing it straight down or up in a ponytail--my two defaults. Did you curl it or just go to bed wet in a ponytail? I tried that and mine came out all wonky the next day. I'm not good with hair. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG. Haha. I actually put it in a braid while I was dancing and when I get hot and sweaty it gets curly. And then took it out at the end of the night. Usually though I'll braid it when it's wet after my morning shower and then it's nice and wavy by mid-day.

      Delete
  9. Ha! I can't remember the last wedding I even attended. It sounds like a fun time -- as evidenced by your hangover. ;) Congrats on an excellent progression run! The highlight of my weekend was probably the football get-together we had Saturday night. Thanks for linking, Jessie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Um so you guys are totally going to have the wedding routine sorted by the time you get married! We got married and Jesse and I had been to a combined total of 4 weddings, haha!

    That is crazy that the next wedding is yours though - eeek! Exciting!

    Your weekend sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would say yes you are wedding pros!!! A wedding is so much fun though!
    Hangover tips? Drink enough water in between drinks to not get hung over and before bed down a bottle of water!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes to all of the above! Also - I'd be interested in seeing how you're training for a 5k - or even just what your weekly workouts look like.

    ReplyDelete
  13. No idea how I commented on this post instead of todays.... :) hahahahha

    ReplyDelete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!