Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Go Vote - we can still be friends

I'm about to get "political". But, before I do, this is my space. We will not turn this into a Vote XYZ candidate comment section. No one is trying to sway anyone here, except to sway you to vote if you weren't planning to but are registered. Boom. Now on to this post.

I've seen a lot of posts floating around the Interwebs recently, both actually published and in the form of Facebook status' telling everyone we can no longer be friends if I happen to vote for XYZ candidate. Really? We can't? All the things that we have in common and the memories we shared will go away if I don't buy into your opinion? Tell me more about how open minded & accepting you are. So long as I accept that your opinion is fact.

Yes. I will be voting next week.
Tuesday, November 8th - write that down, put it in your calendar, don't forget it.
Yes. I already know who I'll vote for as President.


But you know what, educate yourself - vote for whomever aligns best with your values ('cause ain't nobody ever gonna match 100%) & then check that box, push that button or write down that name (or however it works 'cause it's been a while & I can't remember! Ha!) Voting earns you the right to complain for the next 4 years. And, it earns us the right to still be friends.


If you don't know who you'll vote for yet - or if you want to make sure your candidate aligns with your values here are a few sources that I think are the least biased. If you know of or love another UNBIASED source - share it in the comments. I did my best to only include sources that do not seems to be slanted towards one political stance.

Start here if you have no idea - I Side With asks you questions as well as indicating how important these things are to you & based on your answers lets you know who you best align with.

Vote Smart is another great resource - it allows you to look up almost any candidate - presidential, state rep, etc to see their values. Also, if a stance hasn't been publicly stated the site infers based on past voting history & other statements made, but they do indicate whether a statement was officially given or inferred.

Pro-Con gives quick hits in the form of a pro-con chart, indicating whether or not a candidate is for or against an issue - as well as highlighting if they changed their stance.

Because - rather than claiming to be open minded, but follow that up by unfriending everyone posting about the opposing candidate, I'm just going to do my best to be open minded. I may not understand WHY you vote how you vote. But I can assure you I appreciate that you voted.


Go get those free stickers people! You pay taxes - you earned it!
Linking with Amanda.

Are you voting next week?
If not - how come?
If yes - do you know who you're voting for? (Let's keep names out of this)

21 comments:

  1. if i were american, i'd definitely be voting for clinton. i know it's not the 'american way' to say who you're voting for but i'm canadian and we don't keep stuff like that a secret.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interested in how Canadians - and any other non-US'ers view this election. And whether they or their country have a preference on who wins.

      Delete
  2. I will most definitely be voting. Not thrilled with my options, but will still take advantage of the freedom we have to do so.
    I dont get people that get so offended they're willing to ruin relationships over this stuff. To each his own man... to each his own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Things are hard enough in this world without ending friendships over politics.

      Delete
  3. Definitely voting and definitely know who I'm voting for :) Though I think I may need some stiff drinks to get me through election night. But I'll be glad once it's over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few friends suggested playing a drinking game as they announce the results. I'm not sure I can play along as I'm a total lightweight but I will definitely be drinking!

      Delete
  4. Yes, yes, yes.... I've been a citizen for four years now and I am so glad I can finally vote. Go live in a country for a few years with no say in the elections and you'll appreciate the right that you have!!!

    I'll definitely be voting and while on of your proposed website helpers (I just did the quiz for fun - I already know where I stand!) suggests I side 99% with Jill Stein, I won't be voting for her... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wahoo! Go vote girl! How exciting!

      My first run through of the site gave me a third party candidate also, which, I already figured it would, but then I see which big candidate I align best with.

      Delete
  5. Heck yes, I'm voting! And heck yes, I know who I'm voting for. And I'll probably bring my 8yo son with me to show him that voting is just what we do, yo. ~Jessica Marie @ flashfittrainer.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an awesome idea to bring your son with you so he can get an idea of how essential voting is from an early age!

      Delete
    2. That's a great idea to bring your son!

      Delete
  6. Yup, we filled out all our ballots, and we're going to drop them off today, I think? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoooo! Jealous you all got to vote early.

      Delete
  7. Oregon does mail-in voting, so I already voted! And I'm not in the 'lesser of two evils' camp, I'm very happy with my choice! I have unfriended people over political issues, but only people that I wasn't actually friends with, if that makes sense. Someone I seriously only think about when I see them in my news feed. I would never unfriend a real friend or family member. If that was the case, I'd have to unfriend my husband's grandma who I adore and some of his aunts and uncles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mail in voting!? That sounds great! Voting is unfortunately kind of a hassle in my opinion - I wish they could do things to make it more convenient.

      Delete
  8. i am not voting, so there! i am still going to complain though, and we can still be friends because unfortunately i'm not allowed to vote. haha. but i would if i could, so that counts for voting kind of? it's the thought that counts? no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you get a pass - I'll allow you to complain. ;)

      Definitely the thought that counts in your case!

      Delete
  9. I've voted in every election ever since I got my voter card (even the stupid little ones) so I'll definitely be voting next week! BUT- I've never gotten a sticker before! Do you have to ask for them or are they supposed to hand them out? Maybe I'm going to the wrong poll places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHAT!? No...every polling place I've gone to they always just pass them out when you vote! I think you're going all the wrong places. ;)

      Delete
  10. I find it so odd that voting isn't compulsory in the US as I think it's SO important! I mean, everyone seems to feel like they have the right to complain about the president - but if you never vote I feel like you don't have the right to complain as you choose not to make an impact (does that make sense?).

    I also find it hilarious that you get a sticker (or in some places free stuff?! donuts and the like) if you vote because in Australia we just vote and that's that. Though we do tend to have sausage sizzles outside polling booths raising money for local schools so we have our "democracy sausage" and leave :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely makes sense! And I so agree!

      Kristen from SYIAP has mentioned sausage sizzles before and I think that sounds wonderful. I wish we did stuff like that here!

      Delete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!