Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Ragnar DC 2016 : Leg 2 Recap

I'm finally back with my leg 2 recap from Ragnar DC today! If you have no idea what I'm talking about, or missed part one of my recap, you can find it here.

We left off at the end of my last recap at the end of leg 1. Since I was the final runner in my van the end of my leg meant we were free for the next few hours.

So off we went to lunch. Interestingly, of the 6 of us, I was the only meat eater. We made our way to Beckley Springs, WV. A super cute town I've driven through a few times. And stopped at a hole in the wall restaurant, Earth Dog Cafe. I was so impressed. 6+ pages of menu items, MANY vegetarian options, but just as many meat filled options. The waitress was super helpful about what could be made vegan for one teammate, and the prices were very reasonable. Half a corned beef sandwich, a cup of brisket chili, a basket of fries & bottomless coffee + tip set me back $15. Thank you small town America.


After lunch we headed on to the next "major exchange" - a major exchange is where both vans meet. Essentially Runner 12 finishes their leg & then Runner 1 starts the chain all over again. This means double the people & double the vans all converging on one place. This exchange was at a local highschool who opened their locker room showers for a small fee, hosted a spaghetti dinner & lots of open space for catching a nap, or charging your phone.

I opted for a short nap in the grass before the ants found me, followed by dutifully watching my phone charge. We ate lunch around 2PM - spent 2:30 PM to 7:30 PM at the major exchange & finally started round 2 of running around 7:30 PM. By the time it was my turn for leg 2 it was 11:55 PM, all of this to say I was not fed between 2 PM & midnight, save for a few granola bars, and these Crab Cheeseballs (delicious) - and was feeling dangerously low on fuel.


I strapped on my headlamp, blinking taillight + reflective vest & it was time for Leg #2.


This leg was set to be 3.5-ish miles, but, for better or worse, I didn't look at the elevation chart beforehand and got a nice little surprise when miles 1.5 to 2.3-ish were all uphill. So much so that I walked. 



I passed a flag waving high in the dark and stopped to snap a picture. But soon after the road was surrounded by trees & there wasn't a headlamp or taillight in sight. Which - is really creepy. So, once I finished the uphill I busted ass on the downhill.


I finished 3.51 miles in 33:49 for an average pace of 9:37 / mile.

After I finished my leg we made a beeline back to the van & sped off to Germantown, conveniently near our next major exchange & also home to one of our teammates. We grabbed showers & a few hours of sleep, and by a few I do mean about 2.5 hours of glorious sleep.

Linking up with Amanda to share.

10 comments:

  1. How did your body handle the run on the low on fuel aspect? I guess 3.5 miles I could power through if necessary. Suuuper creepy running at night. Can't wait to experience everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, seriously, those cheeseballs were such a lifesaver. The thing I wasn't thinking about was that of all the granola // energy bars I brought none had more than a few % of sodium. Which. After a sweaty first run, I desperately needed. But I was SO HUNGRY. Definitely didn't feel well fueled.

      Delete
  2. I would think those late night runs would have to be the coolest... & the creepiest :)
    THUMBS up for all the vegetarian/vegan runners on your team :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so much fun. But usually I can see at least a few other people. My leg was oddly desolate while I was running this year. So I was glad I had my cell phone just in case!

      Delete
  3. That uphill looks tough! I guess it is a mixed blessing you didn't look at it in advance :) Super convenient that one of your teammates lived near the next exchange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely didn't have time to dread it. But I also had no idea when it would end. Since it was dark it just felt like it stretched on forever!

      Delete
  4. This sounds like such a killer race - and HILLSSSS! ugh!

    I can't imagine running in the dark - I'm clumsy enough when I can see everything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you're amazing. And, oh those cheese balls are making me crave.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bummer on your nighttime hungry leg but high five for rocking a great pace!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kudos to you - night-time and hills? That's hardcore.

    ReplyDelete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!