Monday, October 17, 2016

Our Engagement Story

If you've been here a while, then you've met "the BF". If not, you can read more about our love story here. But if not, he's no longer the BF, we're engaged! 

Which means two things.

1. Now I can't call him the BF. 'Cause, he's not anymore. But, just keepin' it real, I am way too lazy to type fiance every time I want to mention the man. I could type out his name, it's not long, but, he's asked me to not 100% reveal his identity to the Interwebs, which, I can respect. So, like, do I go with PH - for pre-husband? Just H? For husband, since he will be? I'm taking alternate suggestions. Like maybe just first letter of his first name? Chime in.

2. Now I have to plan a wedding. Help.

But, before all that nonsense - and no, we haven't picked a date yet. I want to talk our "engagement story".

We booked this trip way back in June. We saw the BF would have a 3 day weekend (which never happens), so we decided to each burn a vacation day or two and make a long weekend out of it. Then we saw a B&B pop up on Groupon that sounded good, and before we knew it we were headed to the Poconos.

When we book in June it never crossed my mind that I would be proposed to on our trip, but as it got closer the thought creeped into my mind. I talked it over obsessively with a few girlfriends, who all agreed, that while it wasn't 100% certain, this definitely was a golden opportunity.

Thursday, our first day of the trip, we headed to the PA Grand Canyon. We were definitely underwhelmed, expecting rim trails and lots of vistas, rather than two individual state parks on either side with short sidewalks to average views.


Then we headed to an old "fire tower" we had seen advertised - hoping we could see some of the great leaves we had spotted on the drive up. But what we found was this...



A janky, rusted out "fire tower", where for just a mere $3 (one swipe of the credit card) we could climb to the top. So of course we did. And the views from the top were worth it. Sketchy when the wind blew through, but worth it.


After we descended down the fire tower it was time for a stop at a nearby brewery for dinner, followed by the final drive to our first B&B. Cherry Mills Lodge.


The next day we headed to Ricketts Glen State Park, which is known for the Falls Trail. A trail that allows you to see over 20 waterfalls in a single hike. After no hint of a proposal on Day One, I started my hike with low expectations. Thinking clearly my friends had no idea what they were talking about. The BF wasn't acting funny, he wasn't extra sweaty, none of the "typical" signs.


We got to the third or fourth waterfall, maybe 1 mile into our hike, we hopped out into the middle of the creek, to get a better view of the waterfall. I snapped a few pictures & started to hop back towards the trail, but he stopped me.


One he said my name, and grabbed my hand, I knew what was happening. He said a few quick things, and before I knew it he was down on one knee, pulling a ring from his pocket. I nodded profusely, yes, yes! He slipped the ring on, but apparently in a fit of nervousness missed my emphatic head nodding, and a few minutes later asked me if all of this meant "yes". IT DID!


Once we finally hopped back over to the trail I pestered him for details, did he ask my parents? Yes. In fact, I almost screwed it all up when I went home last minute to visit them one weekend. Had he been planning this for a while? Yes. The ring had been in the safe since August. Did anyone else know this was happening? Yes. Literally all of our friends. Props to them for keeping their mouths shut.


The proposal was perfect. On a hike, which is absolutely "us" - one of our favorite things to do together, and part of what brought us together.

Being nosy like I am I loved hearing all the details. Like, he had planned it for the day prior, but changed his mind when the PA Grand Canyon was underwhelming. He had distracted me so he could untape the ring box in his pocket. And how he was so afraid he would accidently drop the ring in the water, which was why he was holding it with two hands like his life depended on it.

Any good engagement stories to share?
What's something that you & your SO share together?
Any new nickname suggestions for the BF?

Linking up with Holly & Tricia  

43 comments:

  1. Ahhhh I love this! This is so sweet and the scenery looks absolutely gorgeous. Yeah for real though.. how do people plan weddings? Haha we can help each other:) Congrats again and I'm so happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda! I had no idea. I swear vendors and venues make it more complicated on purpose!

      Delete
  2. what a cute story! your right it is totally yall. all the hiking you guys do this was so perfect. I think you should stick with "the BF" for now, cause its still cute, fiance is too long of a word...maybe come up with a nickname for him?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, fiance is definitely too long. I'll work on the nickname bit. :)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations!! What a sweet proposal! The fire tower would have creeped me out but I still would have climbed up, lol. Glad you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we probably would have skipped it but some people who went up were leaving just as we arrived & they said it was creepy, but worth it.

      Delete
  4. What a sweet story! That's impressive that so many people knew and everyone was able to keep it a secret :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, everyone I see now, I'm like, did you know? Did you know?

      Delete
  5. That is precious... I love a guy who gets parents approval.
    Doing it near water freaks me out a bit... I just see that ring going down the stream. :) haha
    Maybe you can just make up a name. Like I've seen some people use names like Rooster, Hubby, The Man, The Mr. Or just call him Mr. Jessie ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my parents might have walloped him good if he hadn't. Yeah, afterwards he told me how afraid it was he was going to drop it & watch it go over the waterfall. I like Mr. Jessie. Or maybe Mr. Sass Haha.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations! What a sweet way to propose!! and doing what you both love!

    I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the PA Grand Canyon! there is some really cool places to hike in Colton State park, and when we went, there was even a wedding taking place.

    I do love Ricketts Glen and the falls, It is a beautiful place for a proposal! and also for a wedding... hint hint!! My fiancé and I thought about getting married there.

    Maybe you can find a funny nickname for him... ive seen other bloggers call their husbands Mr. (whatever their blog name is) so for you guys, it could be Mr. Acquired Sass? I call my fiancé Rundelmort when he makes me mad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a bummer - we went to Colton Point State Park, but couldn't find any maps, and the only trail we could find was the rim trail. So we ate lunch & walked a bit, but weren't there very long.

      I like the idea of calling him Mr. Sass. 'Cause sometimes that man really gives me a run for my money.

      Delete
  7. i skipped the fiance. he was my boyfriend and then he was my husband. haha. but, i mean, i call him KC on the blog because... that's his name and it just so happens he's always gone by his initials so i don't worry about slipping up :) congrats, seriously! i love that it was so you guys. good luck with the wedding planning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's already calling me wifey, so apparently that's where we're at in his mind. Which is fine with me. I may see if he comes around to having his name on the Interwebs. It's not exactly so rare it immediately identifies him.

      Delete
  8. AWE!!!! What a lovely story!!! Congrats to you both!!!! I'd say go for DF (dear fiancé) until you are actually married...hehe! Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the story! So cute! Your ring is beautiful! I went up to P.A. Grand Canyon last summer on a motorcycle ride. Fun going up, way too cold coming back home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet a motorcycle ride would be beautiful when the weather is right. We wanted to ride bikes through the bottom of the Canyon but couldn't find the rental place!

      Delete
  10. Congratulations!!! Great engagement story! We went to the PA Grand Canyon years ago but only did the hike down to the bottom and then back up. I remember liking it but can't remember too much else. Would you be revealing his identity if you just used his first name--unless he has some crazy first-name-only like Prince? At first my husband didn't want to be on my blog at all, so I just never posted pics of him. Now he could care less! My husband also planned to propose to me on a hike, but it ended up raining that day and we had to cancel last minute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We saw that trail. Turkey something maybe? It was super steep & we didn't notice it until later in the afternoon as it was close to time to leave.

      I would not, luckily his first name is NOT Prince. I may see if he's cool if I just go with that. Mines rule is, if it's something I would post to FB, then he's cool if I post it to the blog.

      Delete
  11. BF still works-boy fiance. I like MF my fiance I liked the idea of calling him Mr.Sass! Lol. And never planned a wedding for myself but helped with a few- but Pintrest of course is a great place to start. �� congrats and good luck

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww, love it! That's a great story and one that will be good to share for years to come! Happy Engagement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! Obviously this story is my favorite. :)

      Delete
  13. This is such a sweet story!

    I knew Jesse was going to propose as we'd bought the ring together and it literally arrived the day before I was heading back home to Australia but I pretended I didn't know, hahaha! Like you, Jesse got down on one knee whilst I was snapping photos in the middle of the Kisatchie National Forest and grabbed my hand and called my name to get my attention and well hey! Whaddayaknow ;)

    As for a name for the previously BF... do you have an inside joke? Or a nickname? Or something unusual he likes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AH. I don't know if I could deal if I had seen the ring arrive! Pretending you didn't know had to take some serious skill!

      Haha - he hates all the nicknames I've given him, so they're usually reserved for if he's done something bad. Which I realize makes him sound like a dog. But, mostly for when he eats all my nicely packed lunches out of the fridge!

      Delete
  14. This is adorable! Jessie you could call him 'the Mr.'--that won't be changing and it's still short. Aly told me he was proposing to you after we got back to PDX. I kind of gave him a hard time at our wedding-not sorry bout it. If you ever want advice/input about wedding stuff I'm here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, you definitely gave him a hard time at the wedding, but I actually loved it. And hey, he can take it. I'm certain I will need advice // input. I LOVED your ceremony - it was so "you" (meaning you two) & your vows were incredible. Which I know I can't copy word for word, but still.

      Delete
  15. What a sweet moment and tailored just to you both! I wish you many many years of happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this story and especially that he waited until the "better" hike the next day. Mr. Sass is good. Or Man Sass? LOL. A impressed that so many people kept that secret for so long! Congratulations. I'll be following your engagement journey all the way to the wedding. Thanks for linking, Jessie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh I love Mr. Sass! I actually have you in my phone as Jessie Sass so that works ;)

      Delete
    2. Hahaha. I love this. Mostly because I have so many people in my phone with "qualifiers" to help me remember them. Like 8 years of friendship & I still have a friend who is Mike with the Beard in my phone.

      Delete
    3. I'm really digging Mr. Sass. That may just be the winner!

      Delete
  17. Yay Jessie! Congratulations to both of you! This is such a perfect engagement story for the two of you :) I never called Dan my fiance because frankly I think the term sounds really snotty and pretentious, so I just called him my boyfriend, or when I mentioned him on my blog Dan. So maybe an initial? Or JM- Jessie's Man ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I've been rolling with pre-husband, or just going straight to husband, 'cause it's my life.

      Delete
  18. THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I IGNORE MY BLOGGING DUTIES. My favorites goand get ENGAGED! CONGRATS!!! AHHHHH I'm so excited for you. Enjoy it, don't stress about weddings and big days - in the end it's just another day. A beautiful and meaningful one, but the end product (marriage) is what really counts!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awww, I love your engagement story and he proposed on a hike!

    Since I don't have an engagement story, I live vicariously through my friends' stories :)

    P.S. I only use my husband's first initial on the blog... makes it easier for the future, if you pick something that won't change ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations to you and your pre-hubs 😊 On the blog, I call my husband the "hubs" or his nickname. I like your PH idea! Or his initials!

    Meh, don't stress on the wedding details (my opinion)! Remember this special engagement day always. Enjoy planning for the beginning of your beautiful marriage and your forever together ❤ Marriage is such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!