Sunday, September 11, 2016

Weekend Highlights : Lake Erie & the Bluffs

This weekend was a busy one. Or, alternate first sentence, intros are hard & I'm awkward. So, that's all the intro you get today. Besides hi, while I'm never glad to say goodbye to the weekend, I do love interacting with all of you through the comments each week. :) I hope you'll tell me something good about your weekend!

Saturday was a swampy 7.5 mile long run. Ciara & I are BOTH Legend Compression Wear ambassadors & since we were both wearing our compression sleeves Saturday morning, we needed to snap a picture.


After my long run it was time to rush home, hop in the shower, run around frantically grabbing items & hoping I managed to grab everything I needed before heading out the door & north for wedding #3. The BF's cousin got married about 1.5 hours north of Pittsburgh - and a 1:30 PM ceremony time meant leaving the house by 11-ish.

There were hors d'oeuvres in the church after the service, but the BF & I opted to dip out after a few cocktail shrimp & check into our hotel before the reception. On our drive we spotted Cambridge Cellars & bipped in. We were able to taste 10+ honey wines & left with a bottle of Cranberry Mead.


After that it was phone down for the rest of the night, until I snapped one last picture as the reception ended. Ya know, to prove we were really there, in our official wedding uniform, since it's the exact outfits we wore to wedding #2. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.


Sunday, after a surprisingly delicious hotel breakfast, shout out to the Holiday Inn Express in Meadville for having some tasty blueberry muffins and pumpkin spice coffee creamer, we hit the road & headed north again, another half hour towards Lake Erie.

First was a stop at Teresa's Deli, where a large 'Combination Nightmare' - aka Italian hoagie + some extras will run you $11.XX, but also come out weighing over 2 POUNDS. We ate lunch, twice & still didn't finish the whole thing. To top it all off it's delicious & all homemade. And our sandwich was just about as big as the one on their window.


Once lunch was in the cooler we headed to Elk Creek Wildlife Area for a jaunt down to the lake side.


Before we made it to the rocky beach we caught a glimpse of the lake through the trees. We kept trekking until we made it to the beach & the small strip of land that separates Elk Creek from Lake Erie.




We made our way back to the car for first lunch before we set off to find Erie Bluffs State Park. We figured we were close, but were surprised to find it was all of a 4 second drive down the road, and that our previous hike was actually inside the park boundary! We saw more great views of the lake from the tops of the bluffs before hunger got the best of us & we headed back to the car.

Then it was on to Presque Isle State Park. We had our eye on the Gull Point trail. The BF & I tried to hike it in the summer of 2015, but it was flooded due to high lake levels and lots of rain. Most of the trail is sand, since it lies around a peninsula jutting out into Lake Erie, but, we did have to cautiously skirt around some small flooded trail sections before we got going.


We were only ever a few hundred feet from the lake, but usually less. The trail leads to an observation "tower" that gives a good view of the lake as well as some land protected for migratory birds. We only managed to see some seagulls, but I'm told in fall it is quite the bird watchers paradise.



After a sunny selfie we hiked back to the car, strolled for a few minutes along the water & then headed home. Our days off don't always line up, but I am always amazed at how much we manage to pack into a day or weekend when we get the chance.


What were you up to this weekend?
Favorite song to dance to at a wedding?
Ever tried mead?

I'm linking up with Holly & Tricia for Weekend Highlights.

26 comments:

  1. It looks like you guys had a great weekend!

    I had to google what mead was because I had no idea so the answer is no, I haven't tried mead :P I don't drink alcohol (only because a. With my luck I'd probably have some crazy allergic/intolerant reaction and b. I just don't like the taste) but I am totally intrigued - is it sweet like honey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does! But it's neat because you can taste what type of pollen the bees were getting. So we tried an orange blossom one that tasted way different than a wildflower one! They can make it dry or sweet still based on how much honey they use I guess? I don't see it around here a lot so I always love to try it when I do!

      Delete
  2. Aw, you guys look like you had so much fun! Nice weekend. I finally got the rest of my long run in yesterday then watched a few Harry Potter movies. But the weather was so so nice. Honey wine sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honey wine is so good, and it actually reminds me of something that they would drink in Harry Potter. It has been too long since I watched those movies!

      Delete
  3. That water & waves & clouds... looks like something storybook.
    I swear, I think the WORLD had a wedding this weekend. SO MANY WEDDINGS!!!! EVERYWHERE!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was kind of crazy how many of my FB & IG friends were posting wedding pics!

      Delete
  4. Love all of the photos of the bluffs and trail....just stunning! Hope you guys had a great time. That honey-flavored wine sounds interesting too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, it's super interesting to me that even though they're honey wines some are still dry, some are still sweet. Though I definitely prefer the sweet.

      Delete
  5. Those views are amazing! Presque Isles is on my list of places to see in PA, and it looks like I need to get there soon! thanks for sharing your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I love it. Erie itself always seemed kind of run down and gross to me, but Presque Isle is great, and there is a wonderful 13.5 mile paved loop around it, perfect for walking, running or biking!

      Delete
  6. Wow, it sounds like a really full weekend! No wonder you had so many steps in the fitbit challenge :) The cranberry mead sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah, I was like Weekend Warrior challenge...alright!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a fun wkend. I haven't been to any weddings at all this season. I just bought my first container of pumpkin spice creamer this week. So good. Tis the season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ever since I bought mine more and more keep popping up in the fridge at work all labeled as "Do not use". :)

      Delete
  8. sounds like a fun weekend! hmmmm didn't know what mead was...had to google that LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun weekend! All of these pictures are gorgeous! I haven't been to a wedding in a long time. We were recently invited to one, but will not attend. It requires travel, and we don't know them that well! Is that rude? I'm intrigued with the honey wines. It sounds like something I would like. Thanks for linking, Jessie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that's rude at all. :) You're safe.

      They're delicious & it's so interesting because the wines taste different based on the type of honey that was used, or basically what the bees were "eating" when they made the honey, like orange blossom or honeysuckle!

      Delete
  10. You've made me want to take a trip to Erie soon! I've never been to that Elk Creek, but it looks really pretty, and my dog would like going in the water. Love the pic from the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elk Creek was perfect. We only saw one other couple. The weather was definitely cooler that day, but it would be a great place for Django. If he's good I would imagine it would be easy for him to be off leash too!

      Delete
  11. Look at those clouds! Love the views!
    Also love the picture of you guys at the wedding - what a good-looking couple you are :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :) Obviously I think so too.

      The clouds were really incredible, we kept commenting because they looked like they were sitting so low, almost like we could reach up and touch them!

      Delete
  12. Sounds like a great weekend to me . . . and you do know how to pack in some entertainment! You look fabulous in your dress . . . I'm all about wearing something again so love it! You guys are so adventurous and outdoorsy . . . always finding a great spot to hike - your pictures are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, I am getting plenty of wear out of that dress. It's my favorite. Seriously so comfortable! And easy to dance in which is a must.

      And we are definitely not folks who can sit still well, so we're always trying to find somewhere to explore.

      Delete
  13. Gosh Jessie I don't guess I've seen a picture of you with you hair down like that. Very pretty and so are the gorgeous views! Wow!
    I'm quite positive I'd like that wine, just saying :)
    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tricia! We ended up buying a bottle & I'm thinking of a special occasion or two that might warrant opening it. I almost hate to share since we only got one bottle!

      Delete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!