Monday, September 5, 2016

September 2016 Goals + August Goal Recap

Pretty much every blog I read has come to the consensus that August flew by & I am here to echo that sentiment. Because it definitely did. Busy every weekend + work weeks that flew by as I impatiently awaited my fun weekend plans.

So here we are, and it's September. Which to me means bye bye bathing suits & hello plaid & pumpkin spice. Before I jump in to my September goals, I want to take a look back at how I fared in August.


Decide Fall running plans | Ehhh...
Still looking at 2 Cleveland area half marathons for later this year. One is the last weekend in October, the other in the middle of November. Part of my hesitation to train for other fall halves is that I wasn't really digging this hot summer running, nor did they work well with my crazy schedule. These two would both work, so, still hammering out some details.

Finish Europe Recap Posts | Nope
I finally uploaded my Europe pics to FB, only took 4 months. The next step is to finish up my blog posts.

Rock the Two Face 10K | NAILED IT!
You can read my recap here. But seriously, it has been years since I raced the 10K distance, but for the first time ever my splits were Even Steven the whole 10K road portion & I followed that up by beating my course preview time on the trail section. Which, considering my legs were trashed I was damn excited about.

Drop 5 LBs | Every little bit counts
Getting there. I'm another 1-2 LBs down this month. Right around the 5LBs down mark, but thinking I'll keep going. I have a few pairs of goal pants // shorts from a few years back that I am using as a guide.

Track all meals in MFP | B-
I'm great about tracking breakfast and lunch. and terrible about forgetting to track dinner. If I know in advance what I'm having it's not too difficult to remember, but when I just toss something together I rarely remember to track it.

80,000 steps per week | Hit or miss
I will say, I'm definitely doing better at getting more steps on the weekdays. I'm usually over 5,000 when I leave work, even without an AM workout, and I've been taking a 10-15 minute stroll each evening after dinner just to make sure I don't spend the whole night sitting. One week I was at 93K, another only at 74K.

Use the stick | NOPE
Total fail. Don't think I picked the damn thing up once.

Up my Evergreen Content game | Rock on
Budgeting 101 : 6 steps to get you started + my REAL budget with real numbers + a day trip to Lake Milton - which if you're near Cleveland or Pittsburgh is a must-do day trip.

_____________________________________________________________________________

So, what's on tap for September? Well, if you tuned in last Monday, you heard the news. If not, you can check it out here. But, I'm moving. Again. A lot of my goals are centered around not just packing everything up, but making sure I'm not carting around junk I never use.

Lighten the load | I want to send 3+ garbage bags to Goodwill + another 5 trash bags straight out the door. I already got a good start & sent a huge pile of clothes to the Goodwill stack, including some never worn items that don't fit or I know I'll never wear.

Rock Ragnar | I'll run Ragnar DC later this month - if you're running it too, holler, let's meet up! A 200- ish mile relay from Cumberland, MD to DC proper.

Write my Ragnar packing guide | This will be Ragnar #3 for me, so I definitely think I've got this packing bit down. I want to highlight my must haves + how I pack efficiently.

80,000 steps per week | I can do this!

Track all meals in MFP | I find I eat much more balanced meals & all my veggies when I do this

Finish Europe recap posts | I promise this time, I'm for real. It's on my to-do list, so it's basically already done.

Though I'm keeping my goals a little on the light side so I can focus on moving & the like, I do have my Fall Bucket List I am excited to share soon, how soon is too soon to jump into fall // pumpkin madness - asking for a friend.

What are some of your September goals?
Any tips // tricks for getting rid of things you don't use?
Any packing tips?

I'm linking up with Holly & Tricia for Weekend Highlights + Ange

27 comments:

  1. With the Ragnar in September, you're totally going to hit that goal!!!
    Some weight off is ALWAYS on the right track. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca. I figure the weight didn't all plop on in one or two months, so it's not going to come off in that time either.

      Delete

  2. Your Evergreen content was killer this month! I'll say it again, I was beyond fascinated by both of your financial posts. I guess financial talk is so scary to me because mine are nowhere near under control, but it's still great to hear how other people spend (and conserve) their money. Lightening my load of possessions is something I've been trying to do as well. Cleaning my room out is super cathartic to me (like a DEEP clean), and something I've been meaning to do for awhile now!
    Danielle @ afloat on a full sea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish cleaning anything was cathartic for me. It's more just overwhelming & I never know where to start & always some how make more of a mess than I started with.

      Delete
  3. I say this every time I read your goals and recaps - but seriously, I need to do this. Just set a few monthly goals and then focus. I'm not feeling very sorted and organized these days so writing it down helps . . . and putting it out there makes you accountable for sure! And as a CPA, super impressed with your financial posts. I could stand to cut back . . . winky face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DO IT. Seriously. At least for me, if I don't record my goals here it is so easy to make one & then forget about it & never make any progress. At least here, if I fail I'm gently reminded of it so I can do better next time.

      Delete
  4. I promised myself to track all my meals in MFP for 6 weeks. I am learning a lot ! Like I can live with a lot less food than I thought. I think it would drive me nuts to do it all the time, but I have done it for 3 weeks consistently and am finding it really interesting. Good luck on your move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll say that tracking gets easier because I tend to repeat a lot of the same meals, so I can create a recipe & then it's saved forever if I make the same thing again!

      Delete
  5. Umm don't ask me for tips for getting rid of things because I'm totally ruthless :P

    Jesse on the other hand is the polar opposite and likes to keep everything so I've had to make him ask himself "have I used this in the last XXX months" (he would like to say 12 - I say 6 because at least you know you're not ruling things out just because of the season) and if the answer is no, it goes in the bin :P

    Usually he'll then say "BUTTTTTTTTTT I forgot all about it/really need it/will use it when pigs fly" and I'm like nope. out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you're exactly what I need. Honestly, back in the day my friends or Mom would hold things up individually & ask if I needed them. IDK what it is, but if I touch something then all the memories come flooding back & it is so much harder to give // throw away. But if I don't have to pick it up myself I am ruthless.

      Delete
  6. It is NEVER too soon to jump into Fall things. I want to ASAP. Meaning a trip to Soregels in the near future. Never been but dying to do some apple picking/drinking apple cider/hay rides.. all that basic shiz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so much yes to Soregels. It's tons of fun & you can pick your own apples & then drink the cider that they make there with their own apples & YES.

      Delete
  7. as of today, i'm tracking my food because i'm going to cut down to 118/119lbs which is new territory since i haven't been that weight since grade 11! that's fighting weight and although i'm not officially in the tournament, i'm going to see if i can do that just in case i enter! good luck on your goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how I would love to weight what I did in 11th grade when I thought I weighed a TON. I guess that's only about 12 lbs shy of where I am now, but boy does that sound like a lot!

      Delete
  8. My big September goal is to clean up my eating. I really let myself go and had too much junk food in August! How exciting that you'll be doing Ragnar, I really need to make it a priority to sign up for one next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have so much fun & it's such a unique fitness challenge, but easy to integrate into HM training, which is usually how it has worked out for me in the past.

      Delete
  9. Ooh... that's exciting that you're doing Ragnar DC. Good luck! It sounds like a fun race from everything I've read about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much fun! I hope the weather holds out this year, last year it ended up being the weekend that hurricane Joaquin hit DC & it POURED.

      Delete
  10. I love your budgeting posts - those are definitely evergreen! Also, congrats on the 5 lbs down! I try to track in MFP occasionally to make sure I'm getting what i need (especially during marathon training) and I also find that dinner is the hardest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the things I love about MFP, is if I have a bad run or a bad week of runs usually I can look back at my food & pin point some days where I was low on carbs or overall nutrition & that kicks my butt back into gear.

      Delete
  11. I wanna see the post on packing for Ragnar, you know just in case I ever get to do one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! And you should make it a point to run Ragnar, it's such a fun event, more like a party than a race, but in all the best ways!

      Delete
  12. It's good that you're trying to declutter while packing up for your move. You don't want to move stuff that you end up throwing out/giving away anyway. My best tip is: really think long and hard when was the last time that you used (or even thought of!) that item (e.g. my rule is "if it's more than a year, get rid off it). Then decide to keep or give away accordingly. I realize there might be a few items, where you might go against your own rule, but most of the time it'll help you make that decision.

    Oh and in regards to packing: label your boxes well. You will try to find things and don't know in which box you put it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a good rule, now I just need someone who will bring the hammer down if I don't enforce it. I have boxes I never even opened from the last time I moved. I wish I could just throw the whole box out but I am too afraid there is something important inside, though clearly I never use whatever it is!

      Delete
  13. Ragnar! How fun! You certainly will be very busy in September, just like August. I need serious help on lightening the load and getting organized around the house. Those type of chores just don't seem to get done when I'm training for a marathon. Good luck on the move. Thanks for linking, Jessie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, if I wasn't moving I wouldn't have any motivation to lighten the load, so I guess it's a good thing. Thinking about everything going on in September just makes me ready for a long nap!

      Delete
  14. i've always found dinner super hard to track, no matter what tracking thingy i am using, i don't know why. maybe because i have more complex meals? not complex as in fancy, but actual recipes, where i am more simple for breakfast and lunch.
    eh, you aren't the only one jumping in to talking about fall crap lol - well, i mean your friend ;)
    good luck with moving! i forget, have you read the magic of tidying up or whatever it is called? i don't jive with all her advice, but in theory she really helped me get rid of things that have served their purpose, like a dress that cost $200 but is too short and doesn't fit anyway.. why am i keeping that? i say in theory because i haven't gotten to the purging/decluttering part yet but i swear when i get there, i'll be good.
    oh, but i did this huge purge/declutter last year and i told myself i'd leave the bags there for a couple of weeks, and if i didn't need any of the things, that showed i didn't need them at all, you know? well the bags are all still there and i've never gone into them, so clearly that worked as well ;) lol

    ReplyDelete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!