Friday, September 9, 2016

Friday Five #38

I don't know about y'all but my brain has been a day behind all week. Monday meant no work for me, and Tuesday I worked remotely from one of the warehouses I manage. Which meant a long day, as I slept in KY Monday night, woke up early to drive to my warehouse in Columbus, OH & then drove to Pittsburgh after work. To summarize, I wasn't back in the office until Wednesday, which really played some mind games.

All just in time to unpack & repack for an out of town wedding this weekend. I'm tired just thinking about it, as I'm also trying to pack a little each night in anticipation of the move. Let's just say I'm not exactly firing on all cylinders here. I'm looking forward to the weekend (wedding #3 of 6 here we come!) but I also already feel like I'm gonna need a nap.

I'll be back on Monday with some weekend highlights, since the BF & I will turn the weekend into a mini getaway with a hike on Sunday, but in the meantime here's your Friday Five. Let me know what you're up to this weekend in the comments!

one // On Wednesday it was SEVENTY NINE degrees in the office. We had the thermostat set to 59 degrees & still hot air was blowing out. My knee caps were sweating. Like. Literally through my khaki dress capris.

two // I'm usually all about the meal prep. I love it. It's enjoyable for me, not the dishes, but the chopping, mixing, cooking portion + the grocery shopping. But these next few weeks, I'm going for minimum prep for maximum nutrition. Usually Sunday is meal prep day, but I'm busy every Sunday through the end of September (and Saturday too) so salad kits, no fuss crock pot recipes & things that freeze well will be having some major stage time around here.

Like this, right?


But seriously, I love this salad kit from Aldi - I talked about it on Instagram already, but if you add some protein + extra veggies like carrots & tomatoes it's a fairly healthy & cheap meal!


three // Derp de derp, I was making some homemade chocolate icing for my Dad's birthday cake last weekend, the secret to super chocolatey icing is instant coffee! It really deepens the coffee flavor. BUT, imagine my surprise when I caught the expiration date on this coffee. My mother claims it never goes bad...while I would tend to agree, I say, hey, live a little, splurge on a new jar every 12 years whether you need it or not...


But, the icing was a hit & so was the cake. So happy belated birthday to my Daddy-O. He turned 50-ish again year. ;)


four // Almost lost my cool last weekend as I sat down for sushi with some friends and the table of teenagers next to us decided it was worth filming us for Snapchat because as they said "We got sooooo much food". - I thought to myself, I'll need this food as fuel to shove your phone up your ass if you don't stop that shit. While I really wanted to unleash a verbal beating on them, I resisted at the insistence of another friend who was trying to "rise above". I still wish I had gone for it.


And just for the record, this plate of sushi is child's play. 3 rolls & a piece of egg nigiri is NOTHING. Their antics definitely put a damper on our evening. But we rallied to make the most of our time to catch up on everything.

five // And some funnies...
My current commute life...





What are you up to this weekend?
What are your favorite quick, easy, get food in your belly hacks?
Instant coffee - good forever, or buy some more?

linking up with Heather, Amanda, AndreaTifDella & Katie.

21 comments:

  1. Umm so your Mom and mine sound like the same person. My Mum gets SO MAD when I clean out her fridge because I just throw everything out if it's well passed the use by :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha usually that's me at the BF's house. Especially because he had things that were so long expired it meant they were expired when he packed them up and moved them to a new house, like WHYYYY.

      Delete
  2. 12 year old coffee... LOL! Yeah, I'd say it's okay to splurge every 12 years too. Hahaha.

    Something new I've started for work lunches are making quiches and then freezing individual portions. They freeze well and are delicious. Plus, pretty healthy since I make a zucchini quiche.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quiche has never crossed my mind, but what a simple way to get protein & some veggies. Plus, in my experience, quiche is great for using up odds and ends from the fridge.

      Delete
  3. I definitely would have said something to those kids had I been the one with you. Of course, I would have said something politely, but I really don't put up with garbage like that. UGH. See you laterrr!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I get for trying to help my friend rise above. It's one of those situations I just keep replaying over & over in my head & wishing I had said something.

      Delete
  4. Oh those teenagers! Unfortunately I think we're only going to see more of this as the first "digital natives" start coming of age. I mean, it's one thing if an adult did this because they're probably just an ass. But when kids do it...well, they're probably still an ass, but they also literally don't know how rude they're being because it's so normal to just go around filming things and taking pictures of strangers.

    Besides who wants to film strangers getting food? How boring is that?

    Anyway, that pizza meme has me dying. You always find the funnies that speak to my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid you're right...which is how I know I'm getting old & crotchety. Why has that become normal? If I saw my kid do that I would beat them upside the head, & then they would walk over & apologize.

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday to your Dad!

    ja ja! teens! teens are hilarious!

    I'm not allowed to look at my moms fridge or pantry, because I toss anything that is expired. she doesn't believe some things expire either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The BF is exactly the same & he hates when I go through his cabinets on the hunt. He jokes I zero in on the expiration date. He's all, "I didn't even know there was one".

      Delete
  6. What the heck with those kids snapchatting your food? Things are getting out of hand with kids & their phones anymore. i'm afraid of where its going to go. I would have said, "Hey kid, I'm in protective custody - dont film me" - freak them out a bit.

    I hate when the air is out in my office. I usually freeze, but when its out, being hot is MISERABLE!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crossed my mind. Next time.

      Last winter was FREEZING, so my whole team has heated blankets because they were on sale at Costco! Haha

      Delete
  7. LOL the meal prep one made me laugh so hard. i wish meal prep were like that because pizza.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hell yeah. The problem is, one piece of pizza is nothing. Slice a whole pizza in half & then we're talking. But one piece? Nah.

      Delete
  8. OK, I just read your post on moving that I'd missed. Very exciting! It will all turn out just fine! I moved in with my now-husband just a few months after we met and we never considered any of those questions. We just showed up with our boxes, and it all worked out! I tried that kale salad mix and loved it...and then realized the dressing isn't vegan. Oops. But I found a vegan version of that dressing and now make that salad a lot at home. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to over think things like this. Millions of other couples have gone before me & managed to survive.

      Oh no, Glad you found a vegan version, I love that dressing, so it's definitely something I wouldn't mind finding a homemade replica of.

      Delete
  9. Our office is always either hot or cold. They can't figure it out (and by 'they' I mean campus maintenance. They have been working on this problem for
    YEARS!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've decided they always make it too hot or too cold & that's their form of job security. If everything was just right we may not need them anymore.

      Delete
  10. Hope you had a great wedding weekend! And 79 degrees in office abuse! I'm a terrible meal prepper - I hate all the things you listed above! The shopping, the chopping . . . all of it! I love to get rid of out of date things so I would for sure toss! Happy B-day to your dad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It crossed my mind to start a grocery shopping // prep business one day. Do all that work, families can pick up meals for the week & it would still be way cheaper than take out. Still crosses my mind sometimes.

      Delete
  11. EXCUSE ME?! I would have slapped those teenagers. are you freaking kidding me? oh my gosh, i am SO mad right now. i would have thrown my water at them - or better yet, their phones, stupid annoying little shits!!

    ReplyDelete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!