Monday, August 15, 2016

Two Face 10K Recap

I had an internal debate a while back. There were 3 races I wanted to run and all of them took place on the same weekend. I ended up picking the Two Face 10K, a local race put on by my running store. It involves 2 x 10K. One on the road, followed by one on the trails. There is of course the option to run just one of the races, but if you run both you receive two medals, that hook together to make a better double medal. So, go big or go home, right?

The Two Face 10K took place at local North Park. It's one of my go to spots for biking, hiking, running and walking. Early registration was $40, if you ran both races, or $25 for just one. Packet pick-up was easy peasy the Friday & Saturday before the race, or race day pick-up on site.

I knew I would be running both races, but didn't know exactly how the weather would pan out. I originally planned to pack 2 whole outfits, but, left one at home, so my flat Jessie was a sad state of affairs.


Race day logistics were simple. Parking near the start line was plentiful, and since the race was all of 5 minutes from my house, it made for a stress free start to the day.

The 10K road race started at 730AM, and the local county police did a great job of blocking off the roadways & major intersections. My goal for the first race was two-fold. First, I wanted to run somewhere between 55 - 60 minutes, and I finished in 57:48. Second I wanted to run even pacing - I haven't synced my Garmin yet, but I do believe I nailed it.

The course ran around the familiar "Lake Loop" as the locals call it. After a flat first half mile, there was a 3-ish minute climb, followed by a descent to mirror it. The rest of the course is rolling hills. I made a game time decision to wear my hydration pack for the road race, rather than relying on aid stations, and I was grateful I did.

I finished just before 830AM, which gave me 35-40 minutes before the start of the trail 10K portion. I was able to drink some Gatorade (blue, the best of all the flavors) & water as well as eating a banana. After that, I made a beeline for my car to change my socks and shoes, and wipe the sweat from my eyes. Literally.

The trail race was a wave start. Runners were separated based off their 10K road finish. One wave, of 25 runners each was released each minute and I found myself in wave 4. I knew from my preview run that the first mile is very challenging and features some steep rocky uphill, which I planned to walk. I situated myself towards the back of my wave, but was pleased I was not the only one walking.


After the first mile, the trail is mostly single track, AKA not wide enough to pass easily. I spent some time stuck in a traffic jam, as there was nowhere to pass. Safely or otherwise. Pittsburgh got lots of rain this week so I was pleasantly surprised with the condition of the trails. Definitely some muddy spots, but nothing like the mud bath I had anticipated. I carried my hydration pack again, which was desperately needed.


The course is rolling hills, but somehow felt like I ran more up than down. The 6.2 mile course was very well flagged, while I knew the course from a preview run I didn't hear of any runners who were confused or lost, and there were volunteers at each major turn to direct runners. 3 aid stations each featured water & Gatorade for which I was grateful.

Miles 3 - 5 were slow going, but before I knew it after what felt like an eternity, we were down to 1 mile to go. I finished my first trail 10K in 1:19.51, almost a minute faster than the course preview run I did a few weeks earlier, on fresh legs. I planned to use that time as a gauge, so I was ecstatic to see I beat it!


Post-race refreshments included the usual, water, Gatorade, bananas, pretzels & cookies. But the best was the free shaved ice! I combined mango & margarita flavors for one of my favorite post-race treats ever!


The medals feature two faces, that magnet back to back to make one larger medal!

I've committed myself to spending the rest of the day on the couch, and am already scared about how sore I'll be tomorrow. But I had a great (and even enjoyable) day of racing! It was exactly what I needed after a few blah weeks of workouts.

Anyone race this weekend?
Ever done a race like this?
Shaved ice - what's your go-to flavor?
Best tips // tricks for avoiding DOMS?

Linking up with :
Holly & Tricia for Weekend Highlights 
 Marcia x Patty x Erika for Tuesdays on the Run

36 comments:

  1. The last thing I wanted to do when I got home was finish my weekly recap, but I somehow managed to do it after my hours long nap. Congrats again.. so great to see you! yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did it before I took a nap or I knew it would never get done. Luckily GOLF was on TV, so it wasn't like I was engrossed. I just busted it out. Haha.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on two great races! Those medals are hilarious. I bailed. It was too humid, I didn't want to start running that late, and I didn't want to do all those hills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was super humid. Someone told me I looked like I hadn't sweat. I told her it was only because I had sweat on EVERYTHING, so it was all the same darker color now. Gross.

      Delete
  3. Awesome job! You seem so happy in your pics, I'm glad you had an awesome race! That's a really fun idea to do a road and trail race together like that. Race organizers are getting really creative these days. Now take a day (or two) off, you earned it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a tough race (or two races?) but I never had one of those OMG why am I here moments. Which, I definitely had during the PGH Half this year.

      Girl, don't have to tell me twice, I can be lazy with the best of 'em. :)

      Delete
  4. What a cool idea for a double race! I don't think I've heard of another one like this. And the medals snapping together like that is even better. I'm sure that shaved ice tasted like the best thing ever after the races.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I picked this race because it really was unique! I'm excited to race it again next year.

      Delete
  5. YOU ARE A BEAST! That's impressive to do races back to back like that... but what a fun challenge too. & who doesnt love TWO medals :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friends thought two medals meant I won both races! Haha. I wish.

      Delete
  6. Wow!! that is super impressive! Two 10Ks back to back ! Amazing! Way to go! those medals look really cool! Congratulations on your double 10Ks !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ana! It was a tough one, but super unique & fun in a twisted, painful way. I can't wait to do it again!

      Delete
  7. Congrats on the races! This looks like such a fun/tough race! And omg shaved ice sounds like the best post-race treat ever. That's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was seriously amazing & there were so many flavor options and it was a decent sized cup not like a chinsy little sample size.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on both your races. I always find it frustrating when the path is too narrow to be able to pass other runners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely frustrating, but I will say I was surprised at how cognizant other runners were of making room for you two pass.

      Delete
  9. The fact that the medals are magnets and stick to each other is GENIUS! So creative and what a cool addition to your medal collection :) Shaved ice does sound good after a solid run... Grape or cherry would probably be my favs!

    Amy @ http://www.livinglifetruth.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I don't have any medals like it so definitely a unique addition to my collection!

      Delete
  10. i have never had shaved ice so i don't know what my favourite flavour would be.. but mango sounds good!
    congrats on both runs! you did super great. i hope you're not too sore today! i don't know much about muscle soreness, but after every race or long run i take a bath and do yoga and then lay on the couch all day. i don't do that during the week of course because my boss would frown upon that, but i do it every sunday and then any time i do a race. but that could be me wanting to be lazy, and not trying to not be sore. haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NEVER HAD SHAVED ICE!? Is Louisville under a rock? Make KC take you! Find a little stand. They're the best.

      I definitely laid on the couch all day shoveling Chipotle in my face. The BF was like, "You haven't moved in hours." -- Uhh, yes. And your point?

      Delete
  11. Shaved ice sounds perfect after a day of two races - congrats to you for beating your PR on tired legs. Sounds like a fun event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! It was fun & so different from anything I've ever run!

      Delete
  12. 20Ks?!?!?! Phewwwwwwww! I feel exhausted just reading about that :P What an awesome job you did with both - and how clever are the medals?!

    Mango shaved ice is definitely my go to! That or watermelon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, watermelon. He must not have had that flavor, or I was too tired to see it! That would have been a good one after a race too!

      Delete
  13. congrats on the runs! you did amazing. i've never done a running race but man, 10Ks back to back? you're a beast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Kathy! This race was definitely not for the faint of heart. I've done 20K many a time, but this may have been the hardest.

      Delete
  14. Congrats on doing both! I only did one trail 10K and it was not marked well and yes, people did get off track because there was a 5K going on at the same time. -M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, that was one of my big fears for race day. Even though I had run the course before I was afraid someone would wander off & then I would question myself & get lost!

      Delete
  15. nice job that is a great time for a back to back 10k and a trail race at that! those medals are pretty sweet and shaved ice for the win!!! i had shaved ice for the first time in a really long time the other day and remembered why its so awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that may have been my first this summer, which is obviously a crime. But the price tag made it twice as sweet! So much better than just a plain ol' bottle of water after a race!

      Delete
  16. This sounds like a great race and what's even better is the price for both! We have a great trail system around a lake near me and it also has bike trails we will run sometimes. It's been awhile since I've been on them because when it gets warm I'm afraid snakes will be in places I can't see until I"m on top of them. I want to get in some runs there this winter! DOMS I really should be an expert since I have them so often. My go too, Epson Salt Bath with a glass of wine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I do hear wine is good for DOMS ;) Haha

      It really was a great price! And worth every penny. I love the t-shirt & the TWO medals!

      Delete
  17. Glad to read that your race went well. We all have blah weeks, but good races and good runs make those down weeks worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Did someone say shaved ice? That would be perfection in this heat. Congrats on two races. Trail races are no joke!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's a very unique concept for a double race -- one I haven't seen around here. Congratulations! Great job on both! I've only done a few 5k trail races. They do make me a little more sore, especially in the foot/ankle area. I've had shaved ice after races, but they are usually premade and frozen in little cups...blue and red (who know what flavors!) I'd rather make my own. Thanks for linking, Jessie!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Flat Jesse made me giggle! And rock on with double races - you're a beast . . . in the nicest sense of that word!!

    ReplyDelete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!