Friday, August 12, 2016

Friday Five #34

Happy Friday, friends. We made it! I don't know about y'all, but after a not so relaxing weekend last weekend, I am super excited for this one. Not sure it'll be any more relaxing though. I've got lots of plans.

But, I did get some exciting bloggy news this week...I'm this weeks featured blogger over at High Five For Friday (H54F) - a Friday link-up hosted each week by Tif, Della & Katie. If you've not linked up with them before, head on over!

grab button for Bright on a Budget 


In the meantime, what's going on in your world this week? Here's a little bit of what's going on in mine...

one // Is wine a good pre-race meal? What if you add cheese? I'm racing the Two Face 10K on Sunday. A 10K road race, followed by a 10K trail race! All before I dive face first into a massive pile of food, and a nap. But, first, I'll spend Saturday at some nearby wineries to meet up with a friend before she moves away. And, since it's only an hour from Pittsburgh, I'll make sure to get you locals the scoop!



Look for a Two Face 10K recap (or at least the first part) on Monday! I have no idea what to expect, so I'm excited & more than a little nervous. But I do hope to see a few familiar faces!

two // Olympics. Cue all the emojis! While this is the one time every four years where I wish I owned a television, I've been making due. As a former swimmer & rower, the summer Olympics are my JAM. I'm probably with everyone else when I say I have not had a full nights sleep ANY night this week.

three // My brother made it to Washington State. I can't thank all of you who have said a prayer, sent a good vibe, or a well wish enough. My very own baby brother has hiked his ass all the way from the super southern tip of California to Washington state. He has 600-ish miles left to hike to make it to Canada. But, there's no stopping him now!

If you're new here, he is thru-hiking the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail)! All by his lonesome, before he heads back to Louisville to start his big boy job in the fall.


four // Pickle - mania may be slowing down, but all that means it it's salsa time! The BF sent me a text to say he picked a few tomatoes & might make some salsa...imagine my surprise that this was what he meant by a "few" tomatoes...


 ...we canned 16 jars of salsa + a little fresh version to munch on last night.


five // And what would Friday be without some funnies...





In case you missed it :
I posted on Wednesday about how to get started making a budget. You can find it here. And I love all the great responses I got. I'm excited & nervous to share a post (hopefully next week!?) with my real budget numbers. Especially if you're generally nosy like I am, it'll be a peek into exactly where my numbers go. If you haven't already, check out my initial post.

What are you up to this weekend?
Have you ever tried your hand at canning?
What's your go-to wine - type or brand?
I always love trying new things!

 Also linking up with Heather, Amanda, Andrea

28 comments:

  1. That remote one always makes me laugh! Hope to see you on Sunday @ Two Face! I'm running the road portion, but am sticking around to cheer friends (including you!) on for the trail portion! Good luck lady, you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wahoo! I'm running both parts, so, you'll definitely see me! And so glad you're sticking around to cheer!

      Delete
  2. OMG that last meme....lol!

    Congrats to your bro! That is so cool!! And that salsa looks delish. I think we probably killed our tomato plants but there is always the farmers market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. We are swimming in tomatoes, I feel like every day a whole new crop have ripened. It's actually kind of crazy.

      Delete
  3. i was wondering how far your brother had made it, thanks for the update!! i always love your memes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things sped up like super speed in the past week, he'll probably finish by the end of August!

      Delete
  4. i hope you're able to find some relaxing time in between all your plans lol i've had like 5 relaxing weekends in a row and i'm not ready to give them up haha
    that last funny is hilarious and SO true.
    congrats to your brother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My winery trip was so fun & relaxing & such a needed break from the madness. Even if it did involve driving all over the place.

      Delete
  5. So exciting for your brother! And yes.. I believe wine is always a good idea :) I still prefer more of the sweeter wines but maybe one day I'll start liking the dry wines haha. Good luck with your races!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've come to like a little bit drier (sometimes) but I do still love me the super sweet, alcoholic grape juice type wines. :)

      Delete
  6. Woah that's more than a few tomatoes! And wine and cheese for a race sounds like a unique idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It ended up working well, so maybe I need to do that more often!

      Delete
  7. That funny with the kids & back in the day/phone - that is going to be so true. Sad... but true.
    YIPEEE for your brother. That's just amazing.
    I so cant wait for running events on the Olympics. I always dig that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've loved watching them this past week! I am always just so amazed about how they don't look like they're trying hard at all. Even though their times show they are!

      Delete
  8. Yumss!! wine and cheese!! I haven't had wine in a while!

    I have been watching the Olympics through whatever I can get on Youtube, because I'm barely home to watch them on TV. I did catch the rowing the other day, and honestly, I thought of you and how you used to do that as a sport! amazing!

    That salsa looks Amazing!

    Thank you for the update on your brother, it looks like an amazing journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I managed to miss all the rowing, so I've gone back & found clips & such. Don't know how it happened, it was what I had been so looking forward to watching!

      Delete
  9. I've always wanted to can my salsa! What do you use to preserve it? Kosher salt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So we actually use a water bath & boil for 10 minutes or so which seals the jars, this is all after the salsa is boiled for a few minutes too.

      There are tons of recipes online, but it definitely makes a salsa more like a commercial store bought jar versus a fresh chopped type of salsa. Hope that makes sense. I can send a few links your way if you like, but we have an old cookbook we use & then just kind of make it up as we go.

      Delete
    2. Oh yes this makes sense to cook the salsa a bit first. I have canned banana peppers before and though of using just the same process but wasn't sure if I needed to add anything to really keep the tomatoes fresh. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  10. Awesome about your brother! See you Sunday! Probably! I'm actually annoyed that there's a staggered start for the trail race. I don't want to start at 10 a.m. when it's 90 degrees out! But, I already registered so I'll probably be there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have so many tomatoes and I have no idea what I'm going to do with it all. Might have to make some salsa this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely make some salsa. We made homemade pasta sauce too!

      Delete
  12. I love reislings and vidals! i bought a case when i went to wine country and can't wait to dig into them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Visiting wine country sounds like so much fun! I do love Rieslings. Don't know that I've tried many Vidals.

      Delete
  13. Love a fresh link up . . . I stopped by to say hello to everyone! Woot on your back to back 10K races . . . beastmode! Good luck tomorrow!

    Super pumped for your brother - man, what an accomplishment! So glad he's safe and sound and nearing the end! And I'm kind of wishing I was your neighbor so you could share some of the fresh tomatoes and cukes withe me - I've been making a tomato/cuke salad every week and noshing on it as a side dish most meals!! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, yum, maybe we should do something like that. We are running out of new ideas! We're definitely like the neighborhood farmers market right now. Haha.

      Delete
  14. You are the canning queen! You need to teach me your ways as I've always wanted to try canning my nomato sauce but I have NO idea how to (or even if I can!) do it safely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you can, I sent you the longest, wordiest email ever. Haha

      Delete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!