Friday, August 26, 2016

Friady Five #36

If you're a regular around here then first of all, you're pretty much my favorite. And second of all, you saw there was no weekend recap to speak of on Monday. When I sat down to write it my laptop was on the struggle bus, I had lots to do around the house & typing it all out on my phone sounded like pretty much the worst. So I said fuck it. But, I'm back.

In case you missed it : I posted my REAL budget on Tuesday - complete with real budgeted spending for each month. And apparently you all liked it. It was my most commented on post ever. That's good news, because I'll be back on Wednesday to share what a normal-ish week of spending looks like for me. Every purchase broken down.

So, back to our regularly scheduled Friday Five.

one // I applied to be a Legend Compression Wear ambassador and was chosen! My compression sleeves finally arrived last Friday night, so obviously I tested them out while I stockpiled some blog posts & laid in bed. I wore them again on Saturday & Sunday, but wanted a chance to run in them a time or two before I go writing a review. But, they're my favorite color. If you were already looking to order, you can use AmbFriend2016 for 15% off your order. But, I'll make sure to re-post the code again if someone is interested after they see a review.


Also, who's loving the kitchen flooring in my apartment? It doesn't get better than that folks. ;) That's genuine vintage laminate.

two // Today is National Dog Day! Since dogs are pretty much the best, I thought I would give a shout out to the two pups in my life. :)

If you've been here a while, you've seen Tuck pop up before. He's my former roommates pup, technically. Not related by blood, but we call him my neph-dog. He may be a "bully breed" - but don't bully my bully, because this one is a big softie. Let him sit on your feet or rub his belly & you've got a friend for life. He has a great handshake and loves to give high-fives. His favorite way to greet me is to collapse, immediately, belly up onto the floor & roll around until I pet him.




And then meet Buddy, he's popped up here a time or two for sure, he's my "Home Dog" - pun fully intended. He's no longer quite a "pup" as he turned 10 earlier this year. His favorite activities include softly barking until someone will carry him down the stairs. Only to run back up them & repeat. Following my Mom everywhere, laying on top of your head & chewing on dirty underwear.


three // Pumpkin Mania is coming soon. PSL's are set to be at McDonalds & Dunkin soon - also pumpkin glazed munchkins at Dunkin? Yeah, not gonna bother resisting those. And I'm sure Starbucks will be soon to follow. Anyone got a great make at home PSL recipe!? Link that right up in a comment, please.

four // I made Buckeye Brownies for the boss man earlier this week. He turned 50, so we all brought in things to cover breakfast & lunch. They're so simple. Boxed brownie mix - make it & bake it. Top it with your PB mixture (3-ish cups powdered sugar, 1/3 stick melted butter + PB until it's a light brown color. Maybe 2 cups? I don't measure a thing) It should be the consistency of playdoh. Then top it all with melted chocolate almond bark, or chocolate chips + butter, melted together. Ta-da!


 five // And finally a few funnies...


What are you up to this weekend?
What's your go-to homemade PSL recipe?
Or any pumpkin recipe - bring on the pumpkin!

 

 

linking up with Heather, Amanda, Andrea, Tif, Della & Katie.

 

28 comments:

  1. I've tried a few at-home PSL's in the past but they're all awful. It's probably all the chemicals they use that make it taste good ;) I heard that Starbucks is selling their syrup this year though, so I might have to try that with my Nespresso and see if that helps at all. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy some syrup. Usually I buy some pumpkin spice creamer & that is enough for me. I don't like my PSL to be too sweet.

      Delete
  2. As usual, those funnies are so on point.

    Congrats on racking up the comments on that budget post! It's not surprising that it's so popular - money is one of those things that is still sort of taboo to talk about, so the fact that you laid it all out there was intriguing to readers. And, we all deal with money so it's probably the most universally relatable topic ever. I don't think I'd be comfortable putting my own financial details on the blog so kudos to you for starting a conversation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm comfortable talking about money, but there is something so different about putting it on the Internet. Writing it still made me nervous.

      Delete
  3. i can already smell the pumpkin! i cant wait to have some in my life. i wish i had a good recipe but alas i do not. i bet there are tons on pinterest though. congrats on being an ambassador thats awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I found a few, but they're kind of eh. That's what I get for trying to find something with no chemicals I guess. ;)

      Delete
  4. I love some compression sleeves. I get in phases of wearing them. Especially winter :)
    I'm preparing for all things pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a tad too warm for me to wear them for all my outdoor runs so I'm excited to use them more when the fall weather rolls around.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on the ambassadorship! I need to buy a new set of compression sleeves, I might check this ones out!

    I'm the one person who doesn't buy a single PS anything, but did see that the grocery store put out their pumpkin spice cereal.

    Adorable doggies! I miss mine :~(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go hard on the pumpkin spice stuff. Especially when Trader Joes is really just a pumpkin flavored everything store. I buy one of everything and throw my budget right out the window!

      Delete
  6. OH WOW those buckeye brownies look SO GOOD! I love pumpkin season; I can't wait to make all the pumpkin spice bread and such. Congratulations friend for the ambassadorship! That's so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily! And yes to pumpkin spice bread! Yum!

      Delete
  7. The dogs are both so cute! And the buckeye brownies look amazing. I grew up in Ohio and love Buckeyes but never heard of the brownie version before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you? What part? I grew up just south of Cincinnati. So, I hope it's not Cleveland. ;) The brownie version is sort of me being lazy. I hate rolling the buckeyes and then getting chocolate everywhere when I dip them.

      Delete
    2. It was the middle of nowhere, Ohio :) It's a town called Cambridge, 2 hours south of Cleveland and 90 minutes east of Columbus.

      Delete
  8. Those brownies look delish! And YAY for National Doggy Day - best day ever :-D
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, as a dog person I totally agree!

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on the ambassadorship! Did you just apply? What are the requirements for an ambassadorship?

    I am not a HUGE pumpkin spice fan, but I will indulge in the occasional pumpkin-treat this fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did just apply. Let me find you a link & I'll DM it to you!

      Delete
  10. pitties get a bad rap from all those stupid awful people who TRAIN them to be vicious or abuse them. think about it, people - if you were abused and basically had to defend yourself from people who kept coming at you to hurt you, you'd be a vicious mofo too! banning the breed is NOT an answer; prosecuting and preventing animal abuse is. sheesh.

    Tuck is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes, exactly. The same way a person who isn't raised well can turn out to be not so great, it's the same with animals.

      Delete
  11. Cute post!! Thanks so much for stopping by!! It is never too early to start planning for your retirement! I just wish we had started earlier!
    Hugs
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  12. the flooring in your kitchen is so fetch! haha. i have never tried compression anything.
    awww tuck is so cute!! i've honestly never really met a 'bully breed' that wasn't a big ol' softie.
    that pink bag funny is hilarious.
    i don't do pumpkin spice anything, not a fan of pumpkin as a sweet tasting thing - but i could eat (drink? but eat, right?) pumpkin soup every single day, especially my mum's. so good!
    have a good weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty much what I've encountered too. All the "mean dogs" just want to sit in your lap and be snuggled.

      Not a fan of pumpkin!?

      I did find a red lentil & pumpkin soup from Budget Bytes last year that was DELICIOUS & so simple. It's what I plan to make first when it gets cold this year. I added goat cheese on top & OMG so good. And served with a big hunk of bread. Mmm.

      Delete
  13. THOSE BUCKEYE BROWNIES LOOK SOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

    Caps was totally necessary because helloooo heaven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO GOOD. And so simple, because you don't have to roll the mixture into little balls & then dip it into chocolate. You could probably do that with your brownie recipe you posted recently. Mmm.

      Delete
  14. HAHA genuine laminate! Hilarious! But those sleeves are an awesome color!!! So cheerful. Hope you've been having a great week!

    Katie @ Cup of Tea

    ReplyDelete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!