Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Books I read in July (and whether or not you should read them)

I'm linking up with Steph & Jana today, to talk about the books I read in July...and whether or not you should read them. But first, a rant (ish)...

I go to the library last Saturday, all excited, I had 2 books on hold, ready to be picked up, including Me Before You! I hand over my card, whereupon the circ clerk tells me I have a HUGE fine ($26.XX) for returning a water damaged book. Umm, say what!? She told me the title, interestingly enough, it's one in this post & that she was actually the one to check it in. I told her I returned that specific book in the book drop on a Monday evening, along with 2 other books and that it was fine when I put it in. She said it wasn't her call as it was an inter-library loan book, but that I was welcome to call that library. I did - but was told they couldn't do anything, because their "Quality Manager" didn't work weekends. I'm upset at the accusation that I would put a sopping wet book into a book drop. The Circ Clerk said it was dripping wet when she checked it in on Tuesday morning. Did someone use the book drop as a trash can? Did it rain that night? I really can't remember. Furthermore, when did a paperback book cost $26. XX? I'm waiting on a call from the QM - so, we'll see how this one plays out. But looks like I won't be putting more books in the book drop any time soon.

Life According to Steph

Now on to the books I read in July...

The Problem With Forever - Jennifer L Armentrout : 5 stars

Well how's that for starting things off with a bang? 5 stars? Yeah. I went there. This is a YA book. It's long, but an easy read, and honestly I think would make a good movie.
 

Mallory runs into a ghost of the past, which makes her realize the past doesn't always stay in the past. This book tackles anxiety, crushes, love, and what happens when the past doesn't quite stay the past.








To All the Boys I've Loved Before - Jenny Han : 3 stars

I had seen this book on so many blogs I figured I had to read it. But it was slow going and I almost put it down more than once. It's also a YA read, and I just didn't feel like I got to know the characters as much as I would have liked. I don't quite know how to describe the writing style, but it took me a while to get into.

The author writes love letters to get over old loves, but what happens when they get mailed out - they were never supposed to see the light of day.











P.S. I Still Love you - Jenny Han : 4 stars 

This is the sequel to To All the Boys I've Loved Before. I started this one right away after finishing the other, so I was more used to the writing style. I was dissatisfied with the ending, but sort of expected it, because teenagers. I was still longing to know more about the characters by the end and wish the author had let us get to know them better.





 
After I Do


After I Do - Taylor Jenkins Reid : 4 stars

I would call this a love story. Probably not in the traditional sense, but I liked how real it was. Husband & Wife try to save their marriage in an unconventional way. They take a year off from each other. It's about taking a step back & finding yourself again & how you fit into the bigger picture.









Six Years - Harlan Coben : 4 stars

It had been a while since I had picked up a good mystery book. I enjoyed it. I thought the author took a few leaps that took some thinking and a few extra minutes to catch up with.

Jake lost the love of his life 6 years ago when she married another man, but after her husband dies, he shows up at the funeral to find not Natalie, his love. The rest of the book is unraveling what happened to Natalie, where she is, and why no one has seen her in 6 years.







Still Missing - Chevy Stevens : 3 stars

Loved the beginning, got creeped out in the middle, disliked the end. Annie is kidnapped, this is her story as told to her therapist, long after the initial trauma has ended.
The kidnapper is not who you think, and the reasons behind it are not what you want them to be.

This book is creepy, though not quite scary, and more than a little screwed up. But, it's different that any book I remember reading, which I enjoyed, but after every chapter starting with her saying hello to the therapist, I was ready for that to end.




So, TL ; DR : Read 'After I Do' & 'The Problem with Forever'. Leave the rest.

Any of these strike your fancy?
What was the best book you read in July?

17 comments:

  1. I was into a YA phase for a long time and read pretty much all of the popular ones (wonder, perks of a wallflower etc) so I'm definitely going to check out The Problem with Forever. Thanks for the reco!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way about Still Missing. The end was not at all good but I really liked the rest of the book.

    I love me some TJR.

    I had never heard of Harlan Coben until a few months ago and now his books are EVERYWHERE. I think I'm going to have to read him at some point soon. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read After I Do! I think I may have teared up at that book? Or it was another one by that author. Either way, I love her books. Lately I've been super into suspenseful books. The best book I've read in awhile is "Where They Found Her" by Kimberly McCreight. She wrote "Reconstructing Amelia" which was good too. Ahhh I couldn't put it down!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still Missing was creepy.

    After I Do is on my list, and I added your first one just now.

    I'd be ticked off at the accusation too. CALL ME, QM. Rude.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my god, i would be infuriated at that accusation! i only just finally joined a real library so i will make sure and put all my books in plastic bags in case some idiot throws a drink in afterwards. how rude! i would buy the paperback off amazon and give it to them rather than pay the fine haha but i don't think you can do that.
    the problem with forever is on my list!
    i read jenny han's other series and it was like i hate read it haha i read all 3 books in a row on a flight i think and it annoyed me so much. i have heard the other series is better but i haven't been bothered to pick it up yet.
    still missing is on my list. i'm unsure if i should check it out or not.. i might leave it for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So were you wanting the other guy to be chosen in "PS I Still Love you"? I TOTALLY WAS!!! ;)

    That is CRAZY they are charging you that much for a book. Especially when its pulled from the outside bin. it doesnt take a genius to think water some how got in there. I would wager money that wasn't the ONLY wet book that day. You may want to ask that to prove a point.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd be royally pissed too and $26 is an excessive fine. Hopefully, you can get it straightened out. I'm adding The Problem with Forever to my TBR. I love me some YA. I've read a few of the books from Coben's Myron Bolitar series and enjoyed them. I'll have to give his stand-alone book a try. Still Missing is already on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  8. $26 is crazy! I know they have restocking fees and such, but man. I hope it gets resolved.

    Both of these books sound good. I'll add them to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just added "the Problem with Forever" to be TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed Still Missing and Six Years. I love a good suspense book and thought these both were fitting. I recently read To All the Boys I've Loved Before but never got to the sequel. After I Do is already on my to read list and I just added The Problem with Forever. I love a good YA book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love book reviews! I can't wait to check out a few of these reads. The last one seems sooo interesting, that sucks it ended poorly. :/

    xx, Melissa

    www.GreenPalateLife.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would be so mad about being falsely accused! I've been curious about After I Do-glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Problem with Forever sounds great! Added it.
    I enjoyed Still Missing...then again, I enjoy creepy books.
    Six Years is already on my tbr. Every time I see someone mention it, I keep reminding myself to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've just got a new eReader and I've just finished two books so now I think I need to buy The Problem With Forever!

    I just finished reading "My Heart Can't Even Believe It" by Amy Silverman and whilst it's a little different to what I've been reading lately, I LOVED it. It's primarily a story about life with her daughter, Sophie (who has down syndrome) but it's actually a big life 101 on everything from genetics and education to pop culture, history and social norms.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wasn't a fan of the PS I Love You series. I tried to like it but the teen angst was just more than I could handle at times. Plus it was as you said pretty predictable.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm a big Harlan Coben fan and really enjoyed Six Years. I have Still Missing on my list along with some Taylor Jenkins Reid. I'd be so pissed about the library accusation! I hope it's been settled by now.

    ReplyDelete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!