Tuesday, August 2, 2016

August 2016 goals + July goal recap

It's August. Gulp. Last year it felt like some months flew by while others dragged on. But that is not the case this year. I feel like every time I blink it's a new week & then a new month. Like I said last month  summer is always busy for me. I take the opportunities to say yes to fun activities & spend time outside - not necessarily making big strides in my life.


Let's get to it, I'm trying out a new goal post format - Goal | How I did.
So first things first, my July goal recap.

Run a 5K | Nailed it
I didn't just run one, I ran two.
Crafton 4th of July 5K & REI Trail Series 5K - click the links for recaps.

Drop 5LBs | Meh
I dropped about 1-1.5 lbs in June. But made no progress in July. It stems back to slacking off on tracking meals in MFP. It's so easy to pretend something isn't terrible for you if you don't see the calories. I held steady, but I'm back on the grind for August.

Track all meals in MFP | Nope, 40%?
See above. I just slacked off. Didn't bother tracking because my eats were similar to the day prior. But I eat something totally different for dinner, so then, really, it all needs tracked. I'm better off tracking everything, not only to see calories, but because sometimes I notice patterns. Like, I don't feel well after I eat xyz thing.

70,000+ steps per week | Made it
I kind of skated by on this one. I made it, but didn't have any weeks where I met my 10,000 step goal the majority of the days. Actually, I barely made it last week. The only reason I did is because I ran in the AM & hiked in the PM, 25,000+ step day anyone?

P.S. If we're not already Fitbit friends, let's be! Leave a comment with your username // email & I'll add you!


Use the stick | NOPE
Welp, that's a big ol' nope. I just didn't. And all of my muscles are so tight. I need to be stretching, I need to be foam rolling & using the stick. And I'm just not. No excuses.

Up my evergreen content game | You be the judge

2 x race recaps + a post on Exploring Montenegro - I had // still have lots of other posts in the works, but none quite ready to hit publish on. I did go back & add some Pinterest graphics to a few older posts that were getting page views, so I'm pleased with my progress.

_________________________________________________________________________________

What are my August goals? Lots of carry over from July, I've got some unfinished business with those goals where I fell short.

Decide fall running plans | I still haven't decided whether or not I'll do a fall HM, but I'm running out of time to train // decide.

Finish Europe recap posts | I'm not sure why it has been such a struggle to write these. I had a blast on my trip. But writing my recap posts has been pulling teeth. I want to write everything out before I forget the little details, so it's time to get cracking. If you haven't checked out my new Travel page, take a look - it's got links to all my travel posts!

Rock the Two Face 10K | August 14th - 2 x 10K, 1 road & 1 trail

Drop 5LBs | No more slacking, see below.

Track all meals in MFP | I notice a huge difference in my eating habits when I do this.

80,000+ steps per week | This is usually NBD for me, but I don't want to barely make my goal. So, I'm upping it to 80K steps per week.

Use the stick | More running + biking + hiking means homegirl needs to stretch.

Up my evergreen content game | Some planned posts include : What's in my hiking daypack, a camping eats round-up, ways to save $ painlessly + cooking for one, grocery lists & tips.

I'm linking up with Ange + Kristen + Gretchen 

24 comments:

  1. Words can't describe how much I need a read on how to save money painlessly! Meal tracking is the biggest pain in the ass for me. MFP format was too complex so I just kinda stopped using it. Oops. My hope is that if I'm eating clean 80% of the time that I'll just get into the habit of doing that and ween myself off bad foods. We'll see how it goes.

    Danielle @ afloat on a full sea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thing isn't that I eat bad foods so much as I eat enormous portion sizes. My problem with MFP is tracking homemade things, especially if I didn't make them myself. So hard, or you just have to type something in and pick one that seems close enough.

      Delete
  2. I'm also a big fan of logging meals in MFP & I just started doing it again yesterday. It's the only way I can hold myself accountable. Lets be friends on there! my username is ciaraelyse01. And I should also put 'stretch' on my list of goals because well... I never do it. And I always wonder why my legs feel like crap haha. Hike soon please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! So many places around here we can hike! So, I'm in for sure! Always love hiking buddies!

      Delete
  3. I really should track what I eat. I think it would be pretty eye-opening for me and force me to finally get my diet in shape.

    I love Fitbit but I have to admit I get a little irrationally competitive with all my Fitbit friends. I had one week in July where I tried for 7 days of 10K steps, and I did it, but the rest of the time I kinda slacked. Hopefully now that I'm training again my weekly numbers will improve and I'll start kicking all your butts in step count again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Umm, I definitely get a strange warm fuzzy feeling when I'm at the top of my friend board on FitBit. But, I'll pretty much have no chance once you start training!

      Delete
  4. I need to be better at using the stick and foam rolling - for some reason, it sounds like such a process and "work" to do it at the end of the day, but like you, my legs are sore and heavy. Need to just do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto, even a few minutes would be better than nothing. I think I'm going to start using it as a "buy in" before I can watch Netflix. Like 5 minutes of sticking before I can even think about turning my laptop on. Haha

      Delete
  5. I'm with you on the weight and tracking meals. I know I do much better when I track my food but I just have been falling down on that recently. I'll start out the week really good but then the weekend hits, I have a couple drinks, and it all goes out the window :( I'm trying to get better too. Let's be fitbit friends :) chaita_1@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Same here, the drinks kill me. Especially the sweet, can't even taste the alcohol drinks. And any restaurant meal just kills me too. :(

      Delete
  6. I so need to get my step count up - I've become a slug not training for a race.
    Can you believe its time to start getting ready for fall races? TIME FLIES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW! I don't even know what I want to run yet this fall. Seems crazy to be considering NOT running a half marathon, but seems like a waste of money if I don't want to put in the work.

      Delete
  7. Good luck with your 10k races coming up! I'm still pumped for the rest of your Europe posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! Thank you! I don't know why they've been so hard to write. Maybe 'cause it's hard to narrow down all the awesome to something short enough that anyone will read it?

      Delete
  8. You totally smashed your July goals! How is it August already?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right!? It feels crazy to say it, but I'm afraid I'll blink & it'll be 2017!

      Delete
  9. I'm with you, I'm not sure where this month has gone at all! Or this year in fact!

    Congrats on the two 5K runs! And all those steps too!

    I'm similar when I have to write about trips. If it's a small weekend trip, it's no problem. But my husband and I went on a 3 week trip to the US in December and it took my 6 months to finish blogging about it. Mostly it was because I couldn't find the time to edit the photos and put the posts together, but you still get a little demotivated by the end of it. Although, for a change, I typed up notes from the days whilst I was on holiday so I saved myself a little effort there.

    Have a great week!

    ~ K

    www.lifeasunusuals.com



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think that's exactly it! Editing photos, choosing photos when I have 6 million. And all the little details, esp since I know I care about it more than people reading may.

      Next time I take a big trip I'll have to be proactive and type up notes, or write up bullet points. I write in a journal, but it's just for me, so it's pretty sloppy, and filled with mostly just odd things I noticed. And food I ate. Haha.

      Delete
  10. i totally have days where i'm like 3 or 4k, and then other days when i am almost 30k. it's insane! one of my goals this month is to get 10,000 each day and i am on track so far lol. 3 days but still!
    i am the same with eating and not thinking something is bad for me if i don't see the calories... i mean i know it's bad for me, but seeing the calories makes it real. plus, i'm also like 'yeah that's totally a cup' when it's more like 5 cups. haha.
    i go back and forth on myfitnesspal or lose it... sometimes i get too obsessive with it, you know? i think it helps when i actually do it and do it properly but i struggle with both ends of the spectrum - eating too much and not recording it, or eating too little and then passing out lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I am so bad about what a cup is. I do the exact same thing.

      I do the same thing on FitBit too. Usually on the weekend I hit 25K on Saturday + Sunday, but only hit 10,000 once or twice during the week. It's just so hard! GOOD LUCK!

      Delete
  11. i need to figure out how to run without my knee killing me. i started running again yesterday and still, my knee gave me the finger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am no help there. :( I hope you figure something out!

      Fortunately my knee issues recently were my old shoes. That's a fix I can live with. Knock on wood, 'cause that's all for now.

      Delete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!