Sunday, June 12, 2016

Weekend Highlights (I've been busy) + An Announcement

Hi Friends. Welcome to Monday. :/  
(unless you're reading this early)
Last week was such a drag. I felt pretty blah the whole week, time seemed to standstill & I just had some not so great luck. I was psyched to make it to the weekend & after a great weekend, I KNOW this week will be better than last.

What were you up to this weekend?
I'm linking up with Holly & Tricia & to share my Weekend Highlights

Saturday was brutally hot. 90+ and super humid. The day started with a big ol' mug of coffee while I used my new rocker on the back porch.

Saturday night I met up with some friends to see Red Jumpsuit Apparatus. A band I fell in love with over 10 years ago.

We met up in the Strip District of Pittsburgh & grabbed a famous Primanti Bros sandwich. Primanti Brothers is one of those things that's just iconic Pittsburgh. If you ask someone about a Pittsburgh staple? This is one of 'em. All their sandwiches come with tomatoes, fries (as is the Pittsburgh way) & "coleslaw" - which is more like shredded cabbage with a tangy oil based dressing, nothing like coleslaw in the south, or at your BBQ.


After Primantis we grabbed a drink before heading into the show at Altar Bar, a former church, turned intimate concert venue. We were lucky enough to grab a spot to stand on the stairs to the upper balcony. Which ensured we were out of the fray of any rowdy concert goers (though there were none) & afforded us a great view of the stage.


I wasn't a fan of the opening acts, but it seemed the rest of the crowd was. Red Jumpsuit Apparatus played their 2006 studio album from start to finish & while it included all the songs I really wanted to hear, I was a little disappointed they didn't play any others.


Sunday's weather was absolute perfection. 75-ish, sunny, with a slight breeze & low humidity. Is there someplace with weather like this all the time? If so, I think I want to move.

The BF & I headed to the Rachel Carson Trail, a 35 mile+ trail that snakes through all different parts of the county. We've hiked a few sections before & headed back to hike where we last left off. 


We hiked a solid 4-ish miles before deciding we better turn around before one of us got hangry.
Not that that has ever happened before...



Then it was time to settle down for some booking (reading, but booking sounded better) & blogging. While the BF grilled up some brats & picked lettuce from the garden for a salad. Not a bad view right?

And now, for an announcement. I've been posting 5 days a week, but I plan to cut back to 3 days for the summer (through Labor Day) popping in for a 4th day if I've got lots of things to say. I plan to post M, W, F. I love this weather, I love being outside reading a book, hiking, biking, saying yes to whatever outdoor plans come along, so I've got no plans to skip any of that to write a blog post. I would rather under-commit & over-deliver & I hope you all can understand.

I still plan to be around, reading other blogs & commenting, but, sheesh, I know everyone says it, but blogging can be really hard work. So, see y'all Wednesday!


Bloggers - have you ever cut back on posting?
How was your weekend?
What's an iconic food // establishment where you live?

38 comments:

  1. I always say that when people cut back blogging it just means they are out living life and that is SO much better!
    We use to post 5 days a week but also cut back to just MWF and the weekly wrap on Sundays sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Glad I'm not the only one!

      Delete
  2. I am trying to cut down for the same reason. I'm already down to 3 times a week (plus a fourth for the monthly coffee date link up) and really need to figure out how to go down to twice, but I like the Weekly Wrap, Wednesday Word, and Friday Five so I'm not sure what to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the problem, I love so many different link-ups. I figure just because I post on Wednesday doesn't mean I can't link-up on a Thursday.

      Delete
  3. I have never seen a sandwich with fries ON IT. How interesting.
    I post 3 times a week too, more often usually stresses me out. Sometime 4 if a really interesting topic comes up.
    Enjoy your summer !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! It's a Pittsburgh thing for sure, they even put them on salads around here, which kind of defeats the purpose of eating a salad...

      Delete
  4. That sandwich looks so thick with those fries I can't imagine how you could bite into that. However, it does look pretty tasty. I get the whole blogging less days thing. We did the same thing because honestly we try to keep our content at a high level and it's hard to do that for a long period of time. Plus, it gives us more free time to run and do other things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite the mouthful of sandwich.

      I agree completely, and it's really nice to hear I'm not the only one.

      Delete
  5. The Rachel Carson Trail looks so pretty and shady! Let me know if you find that perfect weather place. Honestly, I've cut down to 1-2 times weekly. I want to be outside not stuck on a computer. I think it's pretty common for active bloggers in the summer. Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UGH. Still looking, but if I find it, I'll post & tell the world!

      I have to soak up all the sunshine before Pittsburgh turns gloomy for the winter, so I've really enjoyed this 3 days a week bit.

      Delete
  6. It sounds like a really fun time! I haven't been to a concert in a really long time...it always seemed like when I would go, they'd never play the songs I'd want to hear, haha! Cutting back on blogging is so understandable, I'm still trying to figure out what my frequency will be moving forward as I want to have fun exploring and relaxing too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3 days a week has been nice so far, I'm hoping it will also give me a chance to get ahead. I feel like 5 days a week, even if I get a post or two ahead that can get eaten up so quickly if I'm busy a day or two.

      Delete
  7. I have to laugh when you and Gretchen say you're cutting back to "only" 3 days a week of posting. 3x a week is a LOT for me no matter what time of year! Good for you. I'm cutting out blogging and social media completely next month. But I'm already feeling like I need a break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I saw that. Honestly, that may be a next summer "goal" for me. I feel like I'm just getting started into all of this, so I'm still pretty energized by it all, but going down to 3 days a week has been really refreshing.

      Delete
  8. The fries on sandwiches thing is so interesting! I think Pittsburgh is the only place I've seen that. And cutting back makes sense :) Posting 2-3 times a week was pretty much the only way blogging stayed sustainable for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the only place I've seen it too!

      I'm loving it for now, sometimes I just feel like I have so much to say // share, but maybe it's something I'll consider permanently.

      Delete
  9. I've heard of a lot of people saying they were going to cut back on blogging for the summer... but I like that because I'm used to seeing people completely disappear. A little is better than none :)

    It seems summer has kicked in full gear this weekend. It is mid-June so I guess its to be expected :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I passively read blogs for YEARS before I ever started mine, so I don't think I would ever completely cut it out. I really love reading them while I sip my coffee in the AM at work.

      Delete
  10. Ok I am queen of getting hangry and becoming the most obnoxious person ever until I get food haha sorry Paul! That hike looks super pretty!

    And when I started blogging I was set on doing MWF but now I'm more lenient and don't really follow any strict schedule. I like to aim for 2-3 posts per week usually. I never want to feel like I "have" to blog because once I get that feeling, it's the last thing I want to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty much how I am with the BF all the time. I go to his house after work, he's all "How was your day" & I'm just like "I'm hungry". So, I get that. Haha.

      Delete
  11. The sandwich looks delicious! sign me up for 3 and one for the road!

    I hope you had lots of fun at the concert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG their so salty & I suffer for days, but it's worth it, because they're delicious.

      Delete
  12. i don't commit to any specific blogging schedule. life is for living, not for blogging ;) enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I tend to thrive on some semblance of routine, so telling myself MWF helps me. :)

      Delete
  13. I am SO glad you had a good weekend after a pretty blah week!

    I've definitely cut back on posting! I used to share three recipes a week, one DIY/random/whatever I felt like post and then a weekly things post (and I think at one stage I would share 4-5 recipes per week) and now I've cut it right back to two recipes a week plus a recent things post and whatever I feel like posting in between - but it's only a lose schedule!

    If I have a seriously busy week and don't have time to post or are on vacation, I don't hesitate to choose life over blogging as I don't feel like you need to have a rigid blogging schedule! My life isn't perfect and neither is my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THREE RECIPES!? Girl, I cannot even imagine. That must have been so time consuming. I even feel like two recipes must take so much time & effort, getting good pics, not to mention what happens if it doesn't turn out right. I am always so impressed by recipe bloggers. Not only do you create it all, but you actually write down measurements, not just eyeball things & HOPE it turns out, which is what I do.

      Delete
  14. I accidentally posted this on your about me page post, oops haha. That's what I get for clicking too many windows open. Anyway, It's a great time for hiking and reading. I would love to do some reading outdoors. Looks so relaxing. Haha one day I hope to have a porch. Blogging is hard work, and most times I'd rather be outdoors relaxing if I could be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it happens to the best of us!

      I don't even have a porch, it's the BF's house that has one & I've staked my claim. Haha. Sometimes I go over & read there when he isn't home!

      Delete
  15. Let me know if you learn of a place with weather like Sunday's year-round, because I'll move there too! I agree about fewer posts in summer. It's just too nice to not be out enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, nada. But really, how perfect was that weather!?

      Delete
  16. That sandwich looks delicious! Nice trails! The weather sounds perfect! I can't remember the last time it was in the 70's here. I've only been posting once a week. I have several race recaps that I need to catch up on, but I haven't been motivated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same but with travel recaps. IDK why, they're not hard to write, they're actually a fun way to relive my travel, but I can't work up the motivation!

      Delete
  17. That trail looks exciting to explore. Funny you are cutting back to blogging 3 days a week, I feel like I have really accomplished something if I get in 3 posts. So many blogs and so little time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all in what we're used to I guess. A few bloggers I follow post multiple times each DAY!

      Delete
  18. Blogging is definitely hard! It's kind of ridiculous how hard it is. I definitely agree that ditching plans for blogging is lame, so I'm glad that you'll be cutting back to enjoy the summer!
    Can we please talk about how much I used to love (and forgot!) Red Jumpsuit Apparatus!? I was totally screamo/emo/pop punk in high school (I even did the whole platinum on top, black on the bottom hair style. So fierce, not a great look for me..) and I LOVE listening to all of that music still , ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, so as we were heading into the show we got handed free tickets to an upcoming "Emo Karaoke" night, I asked what that was & the bouncer goes, "Uhh, music like this...". I could not stop laughing. 'Cause I guess I never saw these guys as emo bands.

      Delete
  19. That concert venue is so cool that used to be a church! Getting hangry is a usual occurrence for ya? This girl too. And blogging is so much work, I'm impressed you used to blog 5x/week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pretty much alternate between happy & hangry. It just happen so quickly. You would think after a quarter century in this body I would have it figured out, but I just don't.

      Delete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!