Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Though the truth may vary...

Y'all may remember a song from a few years back, it was called "Little Talks" by Of Monsters & Men. You can click below to listen it if the name doesn't ring a bell.


I think it came out in 2012-ish? One of the things I love about music is how a song can evoke a specific emotion, but for so many reasons. Maybe it's the lyrics, maybe you first listened to the song with a specific someone, maybe it was always on during a certain time of your life, maybe you've devised your own meaning for the lyrics. But either way, just a few chords of a song can bring this emotion to the foreground.

This song does things for me. You can read the full lyrics here if you're curious. But here's the bit that sticks out to me.

And some days I can't even trust myself
It's killing me to see you this way
'Cause though the truth may vary
This ship will carry our bodies safe to shore
Hey! Hey! Hey!
There's an old voice in my head
That's holding me back
Well tell her that I miss our little talks

I first heard this song while I was biking cross country. I was at a rest stop, in who knows what state, and it came on the radio while I was wolfing down a sandwich before I hopped back on my bike. Some days I couldn't trust myself. Some days my body betrayed me. Some days my mind betrayed me. Waking up each morning to bike 75+ miles seemed like an impossible task some mornings & a joy & privilege some days. 



I didn't know what games my mind would play, but I knew my body would put in the work to get me where I needed to be. I've both loved & hated my body in its 26 years on this earth. Some days it's both. I hate searching for jeans that will accommodate my hip to waist ratio, without requiring a weird dance to squeeze into them. I love this body when I cross the finish line at a marathon, or finish a tough training run. But, regardless of my pant size, or my eternal desire for visible abs, I trust this body.

I trust it to get me where I need to go. I fuel it the best that I can, and I put in the training hours to make this body capable of what I will ask of it. You wouldn't run a marathon having never trained, and you certainly wouldn't do it without eating breakfast first. And you wouldn't cross the finish line without at least a few internal pep talks, reminding yourself that YES, you can do it!

Fuel your mind, fuel your body & you'll go wherever it is you want to go. Don't let your brain tell you otherwise.

What's a song that evokes serious emotion within you?
Does this song speak to anyone else?
Anyone have a song lyric tattoo?

2 comments:

  1. I've never listened to the lyrics of that song before. isn't it funny how you can hear a song but never really LISTEN to it?
    But I love this. TRUSTING your body. that is so powerful. Yep, my body fails & aches & does amazing things all at once, but yep, I do trust it to do so much ... every day... its even more motivation to take care of it :)
    I have so many songs that the words move me to tears. I've mentioned it before but Defying Gravity hits me in the soul every time. I dreamed a Dream also gets me... apparently Broadway musicals are my soft spot :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I trust it to get me where I need to go. I fuel it the best that I can, and I put in the training hours to make this body capable of what I will ask of it. You wouldn't run a marathon having never trained, and you certainly wouldn't do it without eating breakfast first. And you wouldn't cross the finish line without at least a few internal pep talks, reminding yourself that YES, you can do it!"

    SO much yes! So often we expect our bodies to just be able to do things and are so horrible to ourselves when they don't - but we have to realise that things take time!

    ReplyDelete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!