Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Exposure to a Billionaire : Book Review

Let me start out by saying, I was able to get a free paperback copy of this book through Kristen's book club. And when it arrived to my house I felt like a SERIOUS super-star. I mean, the cover even has a little sticker that says it's a pre-release copy. If that doesn't make you feel important & exclusive then I think your expectations are a little high, and that we should hang out more. Show me the fast lane, friend. ;)

Exposure to a Billionaire

After my less than stellar reading record in April I jumped right into this, just a few short days into May. It looked fairly long & there was a little bit of print that told me this book would take 6 hours to read (I read fast-ish, but it took me more like 5 lunch breaks aka 5 hours). 

I wasn't exactly sure what to expect. Would this be several short stories from her time as a flight attendant, one big long novel? Somewhere in-between?
Exposure to a Billionaire is a fictional account based on author Ann Menke's twenty-five-year-plus career as a corporate flight attendant. She takes readers on an adventure spanning the globe and gives them an inside look into the world of flying the rich and famous. Get ready for the heroine, Anna St. James, to take off on a fast-paced journey into the exclusive club of private airplanes, yachts, exotic travel, and greed, while trying to stay true to herself.
There's two book rating scales.
Scale 1 : Was this book of great literary value? Did it make me think? Did it keep me guessing? Was it a book I would read again in 20 years? 
This is your Harry Potter & your LOTR.

Scale 2 : Was this book fun? Would I read this while sipping a drink on the porch? Is it a fairly quick read? Is there some element my every day life does not contain?
This is your bad romance novels. They're fun to read, but they're all similar, fairly predictable & in a year you won't be able to remember if you've read it or not.

If you rate every book against a classic, they'll all fall short. But that's okay, I read different style books for different reasons.

This book definitely falls under scale 2 rating. It was fun. I don't sit on the beach & read, but if I did I would take this. It was fine to read during my lunch break, as an escape from the workday. But its literary value was low. It talks about grand adventures that I may never have, traveling in the fast lane, but few of the characters are well developed. I can't picture these people. And I didn't feel connected to them.

The writing style is overly simple & repetitive. If that won't bother you, read it. It's different. But this is a book you turn your brain off, not on for.

Did you read Exposure to a Billionaire?
Do you ever prefer an easy read, something to help turn your brain off?
Do you prefer an e-reader or a physical book in your hands?

25 comments:

  1. Thank for linking up!! I love your honesty about it. Sometimes a simple read is needed right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your literary scale. I think people can get super judge-y about books because they think ALL BOOKS should be the end all be all of reading. But the reality is that not everyone can or should write life changing books. I dig the occasional trashy romance novel. Not gonna lie. Will it change my life? Absolutely not. Will it let me turn my brain off and give me some warm fuzzies? Yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely dig the trashy romance novel. No shame.

      Delete
  3. I felt the exact same way when I got the book in the mail! I kind of forgot that I signed up for it and was so confused by the package haha. I agree, I think it would be a one that would fall under a beach read.

    I go through phases with books so much- after reading something heavier, I want something light and quick. But after too many of those I want something that will leave me thinking even after finishing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I find it's the same way for me. I read a few by Dianne Chamberlin that were sort of heavy, so I'm back to beach reads for a few.

      Delete
  4. This book definetly falls into the "fun" category. It's not too bad for a beach or vacation read but I agree with you, it was pretty simple and repetitive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's what I want in a book, all depends on what you're looking for.

      Delete
  5. i love your scales! i think that is a great way to think about books because you are right, i totally read different kinds of books and think of them differently. thanks for reading this book with us. do you have a kindle? are you on netgalley? i always feel like a super star when i get netgalley books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so right on this book being repetitive. I enjoyed reading all the travel experiences but the materialism and shallowness to Anna really got on my nerves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I guess I was hoping for a more travel oriented book so that fell a little flat for me.

      Delete
  7. I haven't read it - but I can see how it would be for a beach read. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely like real books best. But Netgalley is great. :) Unfortunately I didn't like this very much. I had a hard time trying to finish it, so I finally gave up. Too many other ones out there that needed read. I liked reading the travel experiences, but it wasn't riveting enough to keep me interested. XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I may have stopped myself, but none of my library requests were in yet, so I pushed through.

      Delete
  9. This was definitely a very easy read to say the least, and I found myself flying through it too. I just couldn't get over how bad the writing was, which made me dislike the book a lot, even though I really liked the travel aspect. It was a lot of fun to get an early copy though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I was hoping for a book that was more about travel.

      Delete
  10. I couldnt hardly tolerate this book. I read it all the way through but felt like banging my head against the wall in the end. Glad it was free ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that's what I kept saying to myself. Now, like what do I do with it? Donate it?

      Delete
  11. Thanks for linking up! I love that you mentioned the different rating scales because it's so true. If I compared everything I read to HP I'd probably hate everything lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would for sure. I try to keep expectations low.

      Delete
  12. I am SO with you! I have different scales for different books. There's books I read because they make me think, there's books I read that I want to hand onto every single person in the world because it's so good and they can't possibly miss out (Mitch Albom's sales probably quadrupled when I discovered his books - pretty much all of my friends have them and I have multiple copies floating around friendship circles, haha) and then there's books I read when I need something lighthearted and fun - whether I'm on vacation or just need to escape!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never actually read anything by Mitch Albom...sounds like maybe I should change that. Any recommendations?

      Delete
  13. If you enjoy ARCs, you should totally do NetGalley! I love your two reading scales-those are so true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the 2nd or 3rd person to mention it, and I had never heard of it until today. I don't have a Kindle, but sounds like I could register anyways, so I may have to!

      Delete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!