Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Adulting 101 : Fake it 'til you make it

I wrote an Adulting 101 post a while back, you can read it here.

I had just finished up a whole week of fails & I felt like I wasn't qualified to 'adult'. I wrote the post to cheer myself up & it worked. It also seemed like a lot of you could relate. Like you too didn't always feel qualified to adult. I've read it a time or two recently when I felt like I was in over my head.

I've realized that the adults that seem to have it all together, don't. They've got some of it together & those are the parts you see. But, you miss all the times they accidentally used the wrong soap in the dishwasher & it overflowed, or the time they ate nothing but popcorn for dinner for 3 days straight.

I thought maybe the key to adulting was to "Fake it 'til you make it". Maybe we can't always have it together but we can look like we do. And that if we look like we do, others will believe & just maybe we'll actually start to get it together.


Here's 10 ways to "Fake it 'til you make it"!
I hope you'll chime in with some of your favorites, serious or not, in the comments. 


1. Make your bed
It takes 12 seconds to pull the covers up & it instantly makes the room look more neat. The other upside, you can show a guest your room without them knowing you still use the same sheets you did in college (not that I speak from experience).

2. Cook your own food & eat your veggies
Even if all this means is a grocery store salad kit, or a rotisserie chicken + bag of steamer veggies. Put it all on a real plate, use a real fork & bask in your adult-ness, nothing says "I'm a grown-up" like eating veggies when no one is forcing you.


3. Go to bed on time

4. Keep a stock of beverages
I cannot even tell you how many times I've had people over, offered them a drink & realized the only thing I had to offer them was TAP WATER. And not even with ice, because I do not like ice, so I don't make any. Keep a bottle of wine, or some Cokes or beer or something around that you can offer if someone pops over. They may not take you up on it, but the offer will not go unnoticed.

5. Be the best dressed
Wear a blazer, or a well fitted dress. Something that makes you say, hey, I'm the head bitch boss around here. Dress the part. Then act the part. Nail whatever it is you've got going on today.

6. Pay a bill (on-time)
Nothing says adult like secure finances, or at least secure enough that your electric didn't get turned off. Go pay that bill! Or go for bonus points & put that shit on automatic bill pay!

7. Take out the trash

8. Put a little something away for retirement
If you can spare $5, toss it into your Roth IRA, or 401K, or even just your savings account, same thing if you can spare $50, or $500. It's not so much the amount as the act. Be consistent. Trust me. You'd rather be able to retire in 40 years than have had one more Starbucks Latte.


9. Fold // Hang your laundry
Anyone else do their laundry & then just wear everything out of the basket, but never actually put it away, until it's all dirty again? And then repeat that forever, wearing only the same 10 outfits? No? Just me? Okay. Well. When I want to feel like a grown-up I fold clothes, put them where they belong & I even hang up the nice stuff. BAM. ADULTING.


10. Clean your bathroom
Wipe all the toothpaste globs out of the sink, get the hair out of the drain & wipe down the mirror so it's not full of spots where you accidentally spit on it. When in doubt, Clorox wipes can do all of these things for you. And the Dollar Tree version works just find too, for those of us on a tight budget.

Tell me about an adulting fail you've had.
How do you fake it?

Linking up with Amanda, Emily & Little R&R to share.

19 comments:

  1. This was hilarious! and very helpful! All excellent points!

    My latest Adult fail was not returning my books to the library on time! and now I have a $5 fine... and they won't let me take more books out until I pay that. BUT I'm going to go pay that today, and that will become my "I'm such an adult" moment of the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I have a $5.85 fine that is YEARS old, but luckily our library doesn't cut you off 'til you hit $10. But paying library fines is serious adulting!

      Delete
  2. Adulting is so hard.
    I fake it for most of my life ;)
    My new thing is trying to keep the kitchen sink empty... wash it, or put it in the dishwasher - dont leave anything in the sink. It makes your kitchen always look messy - or messiER in my case ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oof, that's 100% true & yet I haven't managed to hop on the bandwagon yet. I really should just wash dishes as I eat from them at work rather than bringing them home dirty. But yet I don't do that either.

      Delete
  3. I am fully qualified to be an adult with my age, but hey I still make "wet behind the ear" mistakes.
    I'm with you on the make your bed part. IDK why this matters so much but it does!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes such a huge difference, I'm on quite the streak with getting it done. And it makes it harder to crawl back in & hit snooze!

      Delete
  4. I am the queen of messiness, laziness, and general adulting fails but for all my faults, the one thing I do right is that I ALWAYS put my laundry away. Bringing the basket up and immediately folding/putting things away is such an ingrained habit for me that I can't imagine any other way. Kevin doesn't put his laundry away and it drives me up the wall. I'll see his clothes lying on the floor and put them back in the laundry hamper and then he'll get mad at me because they were clean. THEN PUT THEM AWAY!!

    It's a shame my one good habit couldn't be something more useful like doing dishes right away or paying bills on time or taking the trash out in a timely manner. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, if it helps. I can pay bills on time, but can't remember the last time my laundry got folded & put away.

      And my whole childhood was my Mom picking up my laundry & trying to wash it when it was already clean!!!

      Delete
  5. I need to be better about making my bed! Fortunately, I always put my laundry away :) So with you on the prepping/cooking your own food (you definitely look like you have it together if you're not eating out alllll the time)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's expensive & sodium filled & it always makes me feel like crap if it's more than a meal or two!

      Sounding more & more like I'm the only grown-up still wearing everything out of the laundry basket! Haha

      Delete
  6. Yesssss to all of this. I am a big believer in faking it til you make it - but I think I'll be faking adultness til I'm 105 :P

    I am really, horribly bad at folding laundry.... I mean really... somehow Jesse manages to wear like three hundred people's worth of clothes in five seconds so I always have mountainous piles of laundry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, make that man fold his own laundry! Haha. The BF won't let me help fold his. He says I do it wrong. Shrugs. Fine by me!

      Delete
  7. Yes!! Making my bed, making my food, sleeping well, paying bills..nailed it! Definite believer in faking it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you managed to do all of those, especially in one day, you really did nail it!

      Delete
  8. I CAN NOT wait for that moment where I feel like of yeah I'm now and adult....most of time I feel like it's a large game pretend. And I'm two somebody's mom! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't let the kiddos know you're faking it! ;) They can smell fear & they'll pounce when you're weak!

      Delete
  9. It's literally amazing how these little, quick things can me feel like I have my act together.

    There's this book called Adulting: How To Become an Adult in 468 Easy(ish) Steps that I want to pull the trigger on on Amazon so bad. It'll probably be my coffee table book for the next 15 years.

    xoxo
    Danielle
    Afloat On A Full Sea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that book a year or two back, it was great. An easy read for a few minutes a day when I had time, most sections are super short, which makes it easy to put down, but you won't want to. I would definitely pull the trigger!

      Delete
  10. ugh cleaning the bathroom is the worst! haha.

    ReplyDelete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!