Monday, May 16, 2016

Weekend Highlights : The Parentals Came to Town

Happy Monday, friends. Usually I'm sad to see the weekend go. And while this week is no exception, I'll be glad to have some downtime. Saturday was spent preparing to host a BBQ on Sunday.

I'm linking up with Holly & Tricia to share.

My parents drove up from KY on Saturday morning. Meanwhile, I spent Saturday morning running a local 5K (look for my recap tomorrow). I met them at their hotel once they arrived and we headed to dinner at a nearby-ish brewery, North Country Brewing. Despite arriving at 5PM there was already an hour wait. So we grabbed a beer from the bar and got to chatting. 

After dinner we made our way to Red Robin to get dessert. Where my Mom decided the strawberry sauce that came with the brownie was too good to waste a bit of.


Sunday, we had planned to spend walking around Pittsburgh. But, despite being May it was in the low 40's and sleeting // snowing. So instead, we gorged on Peace, Love & Little Donuts in their hotel lobby. 




I headed back to the BF's house for some last minute prep work, including some Sangria Margaritas (recipe to come later, but so simple & so good) before everyone arrived. Once we started chatting, the phone went away, but, suffice it to say, the first parental meeting went surprisingly well. Phew. 



The rest of the evening was spent cleaning up before an early bedtime. We'll check this Parental Meeting off the May goal list.

What's the craziest donut combination you've ever tried?
Cake donuts or yeast donuts?
What's your favorite kind of cheese?
Best part of your weekend?

19 comments:

  1. Glad you made it through the weekend - I knew it was going to be a busy one for you.
    mmmm... donuts. I'm all about the yeast ones. & cream filled always for the win.
    Cheese? I dont think I've met a cheese I haven't liked. I love pepper jack though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would make the best donut eating friends. I like cake donuts & definitely NOT the cream filled ones! Haha.

      Delete
  2. Those sangria margaritas look so pretty, I love the color! I'm glad the meeting with the parents went well :) As for donuts, I might love all of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chaitali! I actually think I love all donuts too.

      A bottle of sweet red wine wine gave it that great color!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like such a fun weekend! Those margaritas look wonderful. The best part of my weekend was the most relaxing Saturday in a long time filled with a massage, nap, and sushi:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just described my favorite day. Sushi is one of my faves!

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you had a great weekend! You did it! Haha ;)

    Those donuts look insanely delicious. I wish someone would open up a gluten free donut chain as I miss "real" donuts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I don't eat donuts super often, but when I do, I always think it's one of those things that probably just couldn't be properly replicated in a gluten free version.

      Delete
  5. Having the parents meet is a huge thing to get checked off! Donuts? Yes please. Cheese? Yes as well! Gawd the weather has been freakish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm almost at the point where if it's going to be cold, I wish it would just stay cold. Not get my hopes up & windows open with the sunshine & warmth!

      Delete
  6. Cake donuts for me! But I will literally eat any form :) I"m so glad the parentals meeting went well... I had no doubts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! Cake donuts for me too! But just my preference...I won't turn down the others. :)

      Delete
  7. oooh those donuts look good! honestly, i am very boring with donuts, i basically only like plain lol. i need to branch out more. love that your mom is drinking the sauce hahaha that is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, a plain donut is just about the only donut I can resist no problem. haha, but add sprinkles or fun icing & I am done for.

      Delete
  8. Wow! You favor your Dad. Just look at your picture up there next to his! I'm so happy everything went well for that first meeting of the boyfriend! I prefer cake donuts. The Sangria Margarita is such a pretty color. As a big fan of margaritas, I'm interest to hear how you made it. Thanks for linking with us Jessie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly!
      It's funny, people have always said I looked at my Mom, but that picture I posted I can really see how I am just like my Dad.

      I plan to post the recipe once I get some better pics, but I used 1 x 750ML bottle sweet red wine, 1 cup OJ, 1 cup triple sec, 1 generous cup tequila & the juice of 3-4 limes. It made enough for 8 - 10 small glasses. But I would probably double it next time I have people over. It was so good!

      Delete
    2. Oops, and 1 can frozen lemonade concentrate!

      Delete
  9. Glad the "Meet the Parents" went well. That's always a big deal. I'm boring. I like plain old fashioned donuts the best. Those donuts sure look yummy though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad the parental meeting went well! I definitely prefer yeast donuts, although I have not ever tried any crazy combinations. Best part of my weekend (last weekend) was celebrating my little sister's graduation from college!

    ReplyDelete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!