Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Team Alex 5K Race Recap

I raced the Team Alex 5K (there was a 5 mile option too) on Saturday, May 14th. This was the 7th annual event.

Linking up with  Marcia x Patty x Erika for Tuesdays on the Run to share my recap

The event originally started after a local boy was diagnosed with Spontaneous Spinal Epidural Hematoma, which eventually left him paralyzed. The Team Alex fund now helps children with spinal cord injuries get specialized therapy equipment & mobility devices (such as hand cycles) typically not covered by insurance. 

I signed up for this race on the Wednesday prior, mostly just because I wanted to race & this date was a good one for me. I was familiar with the race course area & it took place near my house, so I knew the drive in the AM would be short. But, once I read a little bit more about what the race supports,  I was so glad I signed up. As someone who loves to run and be active, I can't imagine not having the ability to do so, even if modified.

Saturday morning I woke up & it was POURING. Which, on any other Saturday I would have climbed back in bed & relished the sound of rain on the roof. Instead I had some coffee & tried to psych myself up. I had laid out my "Flat Jessie" the night before so I wouldn't forget anything, specifically my Garmin, which I tend to forget.


Packet pick-up was a breeze Friday afternoon. I work near the running store, so I bipped over during lunch. This made Saturday morning easy since I didn't have to arrive super early to pickup my packet. North Park was all of a 5 minute drive from my house, and an area I run in often. I arrived around 820 or so, for a 9AM start. Snagged a good parking spot & hung out in my car until 845, so I didn't have to stand in the rain.
 
Mile 1 {7:48}
I ended up one of the first few to cross the start line & was immediately passed by a million children. Damn those little ones are fast. Unfortunately, I think the rain kept a lot of people away for the day, and I ended up in an awkward middle of people, none of whom seemed to be trying to hold the same pace as me. I started out super fast, then managed to calm it down some & felt pretty good.

You can see me in the blue shirt :)
Mile 2 {8:22}
I went back & forth between "Okay, you're on pace to break 25:00" & "OMG, you'll never make it, you may as well just stop and walk". I kept getting choked up on my spit & feeling like I was going to hack up a lung. I hit the turn-around & there was an uphill portion that felt like it lasted forever.

Mile 3 & .1 .2{10:12}
My watch ended up a little long, but after my last 5K that ended short, I would always rather a bit long. I ended with an 8:09 AVG pace on my Garmin, for a time of 25:42. A far cry from my goal of sub-25.

I tried to remind myself that since my half marathon on May 1 this was my SECOND run. I had done no specific 5K training & it was indeed pouring down rain. Seriously, most of the walkers carried umbrellas. I checked on my time before I headed to my car & saw that I had placed 2nd in my 20-29 age group.

I also thought I had placed at my last 5K & had been barely edged out. So, I asked one of the volunteers to take a look at the results with me, to make sure I wasn't crazy. And to see if they even had age group awards. He said they did indeed, and that all the 5K finishers had already crossed. Meaning, I had REALLY placed 2nd in my age group!



So I headed to my car to grab a sweatshirt & wait for the awards to start. I've never placed at a race before! I enjoyed the DJ & took a look at the silent auction items before it was time for the awards to start.


Old Jessie would be disappointed all day she didn't run a sub-25. But instead I was psyched! I HAD PLACED! I took a million pictures before heading back to my car, sopping wet. This is definitely a race I'll have on my radar for next year


Have you ever skipped a race you'd paid for because the weather sucked?
What do you do with your age group awards // medals?
What's your favorite color race tee?

22 comments:

  1. Whoa! Congrats! I can't run because of my back condition. My doctor advised me against it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lux! I would definitely listen to the doc on that one. Running with injuries is no joke.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on placing in your age group, with such yucky weather. I have placed also in my age group while it was raining out and I was surprised as well. I always hang my medals and awards in my bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good call. I have a lot of medals all hanging on one hook, but I really should separate them out!

      Delete
  3. Awesome job on placing in your age group!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on placing!! That's awesome!

    I haven't skipped a race because of bad weather, but I have skipped a couple races because I just didn't feel like going. They were shorter, cheaper races and I just had a moment of "why did I sign up for this, I don't even want to do it." Oh well, in each case they were not expensive and the money at least went to a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hanna!

      I haven't had too many of those moments, but I don't race all that often. I wonder if as I incorporate more 5Ks if I'll feel like that a time or two.

      Delete
  5. YIPEEE!!! Look at you go!
    I love your picture, you are totally FLYING - no feet on the ground :)
    My favorite race shirt is anything with COLOR - I hate the ones that are just white or bland. I honestly dont want to do a chocolate 5K around here because the shirts are the ugliest brown. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEE! Thanks Rebecca Jo! Now, if only the rest of the race had looked like that! YES! I've seen those shirts & they're hideous. The race sounds so fun, but what's the point if all the swag is blah.

      Delete
  6. yay congrats on getting 2nd place that is exciting!!!! you totally would have gotten the sub 25 minutes if it wasnt for the rain. i always run a little slower when its raining because im scared im going to slip and fall. if i paid for a race though i will run rain or shine...my personal runs though are another story lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachael! Oh yeah, you best believe if I paid $$$ for something I'll be there, no matter what.

      Delete
  7. Congrats!! That's so exciting that you placed! I don't think I've ever skipped out of a race because of the weather. If I pay for something I don't want to not get my money's worth ya know. And I feel like I'd weirdly feel guilty haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda! And yup, I definitely feel ya, I'm the same way. Too cheap to waste my money. So, I'm going no matter what.

      Delete
  8. Congrats! That's awesome that you got second in your age group :) Especially since it sounds like the conditions weren't ideal. I've skipped out on a race because of rain since it was a half on trails. I hadn't trained on trails and was worried about the condition with the rains. Short races on pavement, I would totally go ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chaitali! Honestly, once I was running I sort of forgot it was raining. But, as soon as I crossed the finish line I remembered.

      Delete
  9. Way to go! How awesome that you got second! That's a HUGE achievement girl!

    I would have been running around waving that medal like it was my job! In fact... I'd probably still be wearing it today just because :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm STRONGLY considering hanging my meda up in my cube at work...overkill? I'm still trying to decide.

      Delete
  10. seriously the little ones are fast!!!! i'm always like HOW. go home and play video games lol.
    congrats on placing girl! seriously that is amazing. and congrats on your very close to your goal time! that is amazing. i have never skipped a race because of weather (i have been insanely lucky with weather, except for my last 2 half marathons) but i have skipped for other reasons (like i just hadn't trained and didn't want to do it because i'm lazy).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sign up for so few races because I don't ever want to get caught having not trained. 'Cause I'm too cheap to skip something I paid for! Haha.

      Delete
  11. Nice job!! And yeah, I've totally bailed on races because of the rain. But in my defense, they were untimed "fun runs" so I didn't feel bad about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on running a strong race and winning your age group! That's especially great given the 10 year age group division.

    I have never bailed on a race before. I'm always in the camp of "if they're holding it I'll be there." That has led to races in the pouring rain, and races in shin-deep snow.

    ReplyDelete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!