Monday, May 2, 2016

May 2016 goals + April Goal Review

Cliche time...but April flew by. I guess spending 2 weeks on vacation will do that for ya. I've been busy getting back into the groove. I feel like I'm not quite there yet. Workouts have been weird, attempting to taper for my half marathon, after 2 weeks of no running? Is there even a point. Haha. I'll have my half marathon recap up tomorrow. But, now that I'm finished I can get back into the swing of my workouts & focus on my next goals.


First, let's check in on how I did with my April goals.
I'm linking up with Holly & Tricia to share.

{finish my green belt}
This work project has been hanging over my head for far too long. And it has been making working unnecessarily stressful. I presented to the internal review board last Thursday & am working to get my external & FINAL review set up for May. So, success!

{host a dinner party}
So, my two attempts at this failed. Life came up. The BF & I hosted a campfire & had a few friends over after the half marathon on Sunday for a cookout & some drinks. Technically it was May 1st, but I'm gonna call this one done-zo.

{read 3+ books}
LOL. Nope. I didn't even finish the one I took to Europe with me. Hahahaha.
Total books read in April, .25 books.

{ride bikes}
So, my road bike didn't make it out of the basement, but I spent an hour or two riding around Bled.




{pack for Europe in a carry-on}
NAILED IT. Pretty much everywhere we went people were like, "Is that all you brought"? With the exception of one skirt, which I brought in case of fancy restaurants, I packed perfectly. I was so pleased with myself. :)

Now, what's on tap for May???

{Run more 5Ks}
I still have my sub 25:00 goal to smash for the year. There are lots of local 5Ks during the warm months. I want to run at least 1 during May. 

{Read 3 books}
Let's try this one again, shall we? I love the warmer weather when I can sit out on the back porch, just as I'm doing while I type this & read. Sip something cool & refreshing & just soak up the sunshine & warmth.

 {Drop 5 LBs}
So, I'm not trying to do this all in May. But, some half marathon training weight crept up on me. I thought I was holding it well until I saw a few photos of myself that let me know I wasn't carrying it as well as I thought. I'm not tied to a specific scale #, especially since I lift heaving weights 2+ days per week, but more concerned with getting back to a weight that makes me comfortable showing off. In a bathing suit, in a form fitting dress, whatever.

{Meet the Parents}
My parents still live in KY, but, in a few weekends they're driving up to Pittsburgh to meet the BF's family. EEK. I think everything will be just fine, but the BF & I will be hosting the meet & greet cook-out. So, lots of general cooking, cleaning & planning to make sure everything goes down smooth.

{Invest my $$$}
I got a decent sized tax return + 2015 work bonus deposited into my account while on vacation & I've just been letting it sit. I want to take a look at my investments & figure out the best place(s) for this $$$ to go, so I can get future Jessie the best bang for her book.

What are your May goals?
What did you do with your tax refund?
What was the best part of your weekend?

Posted to A Little R&R

22 comments:

  1. Meeting the parents, huh? That will be fun! And I think you're excused from not reading 3 books when you're galivanting in Europe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I figured instead of going brain dead watching 378 movies in a row I could read, but NOPE, just watched movies.

      Delete
  2. Good luck with the meeting of the parents! I recently had this happen for me too with my fiancee's family, and I was quite nervous ahead of time but everything went fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm sure we'll have some awkward lulls in conversation, but we just plan to keep the margaritas flowing.

      Delete
  3. OHH - parent meet up - I just think of all the Focker movies :) haha
    I love reading in Spring. I sat on my porch last night & just read & soaked up the falling rain hitting the roof.
    Dinner parties petrify me - good for you wanting to do it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cooking & trying out new recipes & having willing taste testers. And, in terms of socializing I find it to be more enjoyable than a restaurant environment.

      What I don't like is cleaning the house before people come over.

      Delete
  4. I'm so impressed by packing in just a carry on. I want to try that sometime on a longer vacation and challenge myself to actually plan outfits.. not just throw 14 shirts in a bag like I normally do haha. I'm dying to go to Australia one day (hopefully sooner than later) and I've been putting my tax refunds/bonuses for the past 2 years in an account and not touching a penny of it! Future me will thank me:) Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Future Amanda will definitely thank you! That will be such an incredible trip!!!

      Carry-on packing wasn't that hard. But, I'm also not exactly a fashionista. I had 3 pairs pants, 1 skirt, 1 dress, 2 pair shorts + pants for the plane & then 11 or so shirts? People think it sounds scary, but I really managed to cram a lot in there.

      Delete
  5. Good luck with the parents meeting! I remember that being stressful the first time but it all worked out great and I think the stress was just in my head. I am impressed that you carried everything in a carry on. I'm going to give it a try for Iceland but am not sure I'll be successful. Sadly, I owed taxes instead of getting a refund :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Booo to owing taxes. That's the worst.

      And I have faith you can make it work for Iceland! But you'll definitely have to be strategic!

      Delete
  6. I am seriously impressed that you traveled around Europe with only a carry on! I could definitely do it on the way there, but I feel like I'd need an extra bag on the way back to bring home lots of goodies :P

    Eek! How exciting and nerve wracking/daunting that you're meeting your man's parents this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have to check a bag on the way home. I bought a bunch of liquids that I couldn't carry on. But, it was free, and I knew I had clean clothes at home in case my bag didn't make it.

      Actually it's my parents meeting his parents. Which is even more weird. Haha. I'm over with his parents for Sunday dinner all the time.

      Delete
  7. great job on the carry on through eurpoe that is a major accomplishment!! i am so with you on drop the 5lbs! mine from christmas are still sticking around they just dont want to leave!! eeep good luck meeting the parents im sure it will be fine but its always nerve racking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've had my luggage lost a few times, so it's always a pretty big motivator to make sure I get to my destination & don't have to buy new clothes.

      Delete
  8. Great goals for May! I LOVE packing efficiently - I make it a mission to try to wear/use every single thing I pack when I am traveling. =D Woo hoo for your parents getting to meet your BF's family! Nervewracking, I know, but I am sure everything will go very smoothly. It's a standing goal for me to read more books, too, but it can be hard when there are so many competing priorities. And I totally understand wanting to get to that point where you are comfortable showing off the body. You will get there - you are doing all the right things, especially the heavy lifting 2x a week!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. That is always my goal too. :)

      I think the awkward part is more that it can't quite be a natural meeting. My parents are visiting from KY for this very specific reason. And we all know the reason. Maybe it's all in my head.

      Delete
  9. One carry-on for 2 weeks in Europe? Holy moly. I'm not worthy! I'm sharing the same 5 lbs problem. It won't come off this time and I'm aggravated. I used to love reading books and have just quit cold turkey. No desire. (Could it be because I spend all my time reading blogs? LOL) The BF parents should be nervous to me you! Not the other way around. Thanks for linking with us Jessie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easier when you don't have tons of clothes. There isn't even a ton to pack if you wanted to!

      LOL, maybe. I get that way sometimes. I'll go from reading a book or two a week to nothing for a month. Glad I'm not the only one.

      Delete
  10. you go girl on the carry on! i figure one just in case thing is pretty good, i definitely always have at least one thing i don't wear but am glad i brought just in case. i'm with you on the 5lbs (i would love to lose 10lbs but it's not realistic before my cruise lol).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually have one or two of those as well, but I'm getting better about it being 1 or 2 vs half my bag. :)

      Delete
  11. I think for the most part you did great on your goals. Whoa the meeting of the parents sounds nerve racking for sure but I'm sure everything will be just fine!
    You can never start saving too soon! I regret not having a rainy day fund set up before now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tricia! I've been saving for a while now, but mostly just in a savings account. But, it's just the same as stuffing it under my mattress, so I figure it's time to start investing.

      Delete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!