Friday, May 6, 2016

Friday Five #20

Happy Friday, friends. I'm not quite sure how, but this week flew by for me. I have a busy weekend ahead. I'll be back Monday with another travel guide // recap. In the meantime, if you missed it, I posted my Venice travel guide yesterday. Check it out, and if you like it, don't forget to Pin it!

I hope the week flew by for you, but if not, no worries, you made it to Friday!
Now let's get down to some Friday Five.
I'm linking up with MarCynthia, CourtneyHeather, Amanda & Andrea

{one}
I don't know about y'all, but I've got friends scattered everywhere. It's both a good thing, I've always got somewhere to stay, but a bad thing, because we rarely see each other. BUUUUTTT...a big group of us are getting our asses in gear to make a summer reunion happen. It's been January 2015 since we've all been together. I booked my flights last night & I am so excited. Milwaukee, I'll see you this summer. :)

{two}
I mentioned last week that my brother was starting his thru-hike of the Pacific Crest Trail. Some of you said you were interested in updates. As I write this, he's already walked more than 100 miles, so far, an average of 20+ per day. He's doing just fine, he ran into a buddy he met while hiking the Appalachian Trail last year, and has a wicked "dirt tan". And since I'm about to post a picture of dirty feet I gleeped from his FB, I would suggest you page down now if you have no interest in seeing such a picture.


{three}
The BF & I are heading backpacking this weekend. It's been a year+ since we've done a true backpacking trip. We've been camping since, but within 20 feet of our car in case we needed anything. We're planning a long weekend & hoping to hike about 25 miles total. Fingers crossed the weather holds out. And let me tell you, meal planning for hiking is hard. We'll have a stove, but no refrigeration & we have to carry everything, so we're focused on 'bang for your buck' calories compared to weight & prep time.

A picture from our last backpacking trip...when we thought camping in December was a good idea...and when the BF wore JEANS on our hiking trip. Haha. We've gotten him new pants, and got some sense knocked into us. No more winter camping for us.


{four}
So I came up with this idea...tell me if it sucks...actually, maybe don't. I really like this idea. I was thinking about having a ladies night party, where for each friend I invite, they're in charge of bringing a friend that no one knows. A lot of my friends aren't friends with each other. I just happen to know them from different things. But, I think everyone can agree that making friends as a grown-up is rough. Maybe this could help?

{five}
Not-So-Guilty Pleasure? This song.
Work from Home by Fifth Harmony?
So catchy! And if you drive past me while this is on the radio? You best believe I'm belting it out.
#NoShame


{link love}
If you're a blogger & don't have a template (uhh, like me) then this is a great read. Morgan has lots of helpful posts if you're just getting started in the blogging world.

I've always been a firm believer that weight loss is more than just calories in vs calories out. That our bodies weren't tricked that easily. Interesting to see some science behind different theories.

All those wondering how I did 2 weeks in Europe in a carry-on? Take some tips. I wasn't smart enough to take pics & make notes of everything I did. Guess I'll have to wait for my next trip for that. In the meantime, check out these tips.

What are you up to this weekend?
Think my friend finding party idea is any good?
Ever done something like it?
What's your current guilty pleasure song?

32 comments:

  1. I love your ladies night idea - such a great way to meet more people! SO cool about your brother, cheering for him! Milwaukee is on my bucket list. I may be heading there in the next year for some professional development, so I'll need your reccomendations! Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to make some notes! I've been once before & found some neat places. There are lots of cool breweries that do tours + tastings!

      Delete
  2. Love the idea of your bring a friend party!
    Hope the weather is nice for your backpacking trip and good luck to your brother as he continues his journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Me too, the trail we're heading to has been known to be super difficult in the rain. Unfortunately this is the weekend that we have available, so we may have to make some last minute adjustments.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for linking up to me, lady! I love your brother's dirt tan, ha! Good luck backpacking, I hope the weather is so nice for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! I've been loving all your posts about how you make blogging work & how you're growing. You're so organized!

      And thank you!

      Delete
  4. I love your 'friend' idea. What a cool way to meet new people. Its all about expanding the circle.
    Thanks for the bro update. I think this is the coolest! & that he 'ran into' someone he knew - what are those odds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca Jo!

      It was pretty cool he ran into this kid, they actually met mid-way through the trail last year, lost each other, but then ended up finishing together their final day. Gives me shivers just thinking about it. I have to think they found each other when they both needed it.

      Delete
  5. I love the friend finding party! I've had a super hard time meeting people in CO, and that would be so much fun! Have fun camping!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Savannah! Most of my friends are fairly outgoing, so I feel like it could work really well. SO many of my friends moved away after college & it has been tough to make new ones.

      Delete
  6. I think the party to meet new friends sounds AMAZING! I hope that it goes well. We definitely have the issue that most of our friends are now scattered around the US! It can be great for travel and catching up... but hard because we definitely miss them! Good you are able to do reunions. I feel like it would be hard to get anyone to commit to that/commit to bring a friend to a ladies night party. Intrigued though for sure. I've always wanted to do a "Pinterest" party where we pick a few DIYs and I buy the supplies and facilitate it with my girlfriends. :) Thank you for stopping by my blog! XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if I offer sangria & some snacks my friends will be all over it. Haha. ;) Just have to find a date that actually works for people. Now THAT will be the hard part!

      I went to a Pinterest party once, except instead of crafts we just made all the snacks & drinks we had pinned but never tried.

      Delete
  7. That friend party is such a good idea! YES.. making friends as an adult is hard.. I agree. My friends and I are all spread out too and I think we may be planning a trip to Portland later this summer. None of us live there so we figured it'd be fun to explore a new city together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to Portland once when I was younger. But I remember having so much fun! So I'm sure you will too.

      Delete
  8. that is one serious dirt tan!!! cracked me up!!! even if that hiking trip was rough its a great picture of the two of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachael. I told my brother he reminded me of Dan the worlds dirtiest man. From the Shel Silverstein poem.

      Delete
  9. YOU'RE COMING TO MILWAUKEE?!?!?!?! We MUST connect!!

    Haha, oh the dirt tan. I'm quite familiar with it from my Habitat trips to El Salvador and Guatemala.

    The ladies night party sounds like a great idea, although if there are a lot of peeps coming it could be quite a headache trying to figure out if your guest does or doesn't know any of them. But worth a shot!

    Fingers crossed for good backpacking weather this weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point. Maybe I would phrase it as someone who others don't know well? I guess my main point is if everyone already is bff then there's no point.

      And yup, I am coming to Milwaukee! I'll email you.

      Delete
  10. Wow! that's fantastic for your brother hiking the PCT!I hope he is enjoying his hike!

    I hope you have a fun camping trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ana! Camping was pretty fun. Though the last morning was a little chilly. I definitely didn't want to get out of my sleeping bag.

      Delete
  11. Making friends once you're out of school is tough! I think this is a great idea. I've never gone back packing like that. We go camping where we set up the tent close by the car and just go on hikes from there. That type of trip You're talking about does sound hard to plan food for. I'd probably end up living on PB&J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are a little better than pbj. But it's hard because everything you bring you have to think of its worth it to carry around for a day or two before you eat it.

      Delete
  12. As a person who rarely makes friends as an adult, I can agree that friend-making is hard and that sounds like a good idea :). I love hiking, but I don't know how I would do hiking so long. We lived out of a camper van in Iceland for a week, and that's as close to roughing it as I've gotten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A camper van in Iceland? That sounds incredible. So long as I'm warm and fed I usually don't mind camping.

      Delete
  13. Your friend reunion will be so fun! I feel ya, I have friends everywhere and it is fun but so hard to go months without seeing each other!!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Darcy! I'm excited! We're always able to pick up like we saw each other yesterday.

      Delete
  14. Your brother's dirt tan is disgusting but awesome! A tribute to how kickass his adventure is! I love your ladies night idea! Let us know how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that was pretty much my exact reaction as well.

      And thanks Kylie! I will. :)

      Delete
  15. Amazing article!
    Have a nice week-end!
    Gil Zetbase
    http://gilzetbase.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your BYO friend party idea! I'm actually planning on doing a similar thing but with an afternoon tea! Making friends as an adult is definitely much harder than when you're a kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man. Afternoon tea sounds super classy. Let me know how it goes!

      Delete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!