Monday, May 9, 2016

48 Hours in Slovenia : Bled & Ljubljana

For those of you who are new here, I just spent 2 weeks in Europe. Croatia, Slovenia, Montenegro & Venice. I posted my Venice travel guide last Thursday & you can find it here

I'm here today to recap my time in Slovenia. While I only had about 48 hours to soak up all the scenery I could, I made sure to pack everything in that I could.

| edit | Okay, so this is gonna be part 1...'cause I got carried away with the pictures. :) 
I'll be back with Part 2 later this week.

In the meantime, I'm linking up with Holly & Tricia for my loose interpretation of 'Weekend Wrap' (forgive me ladies. ;) )

We spent the day driving through the Slovenian country side before finally arriving in Bled. We checked into the Hotel Golf in Bled. I immediately changed clothes & headed down to the famous Lake Bled.

The lake has a 4 mile-ish paved loop that circles it, and a portion of it is pedestrian only. You can bike it or walk it & it affords beautiful views of the church on the lake, Blejski Grad (Bled Castle) & the Alps.


I walked the 4 mile loop, stopping about every 15 feet to take a few pictures, realizing that each time the view improved. Row boats line the lake available for rent & can take you out to the church in the middle.
 
 
The views of the castle are framed by the Alps in the distance.
 
 
 
We headed to a nearby village for dinner at a local restaurant.
 
 
After an early morning breakfast, and some spectacular views. It was time to visit the Castle up close & personal.


While the Castle itself held a small interesting museum, the best part was the views of Lake Bled down below.




While the words vacation & 630AM wake-up don't necessarily go together, I was grateful for the morning sun. The one reflecting off the lake, a view so beautiful even our tour guide stopped to take a photo. Bled was a fairy tale town, straight from the pages of a story book.

Have you ever been to Bled // Slovenia?
 What's the most storybook place you've ever visited?
Tell me about the best part of your weekend.

21 comments:

  1. I had no idea this is what Slovenia would look like - it is absolutely beautiful! The most storkbook place I've ever visited is probably Charleston or savannah! The best part of my weekend was making homemade 7 hour briscuit tacos with pineapple! have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! I had no idea it was going to be to beautiful either. Slovenia really surprised me.

      Delete
  2. I'm lame - I have no storybook places - except Disney World :) haha
    Those reflection of clouds in the water - GORGEOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so excited by the reflections. I thought that was something that people edited their photos to add. But nope. It was real life.

      Delete
  3. This is so freaking pretty! Those mountains.. oh my gosh. The most storybook-like place I've visited was this small town in Alaska called Sitka and when we went kayaking it reminded me of a postcard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah. I've been to Sitka. It was beautiful!

      Delete
  4. wow that is gorgeous!! the most storybook place Ive been is Florence but I am dying to go to Austria and see all those castles. cant wait for the rest of the pics!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet Austria would be super storybook. I've heard fantastic things. I hope you get to go soon!

      Delete
  5. Your photos are stunning! It really does look like a fairytale. I think the most storybook place I've visited was Neuschwanstein Castle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've never heard of that castle. I'll have to go look it up. Maybe I'll visit on my next adventure. :)

      Delete
  6. Your pictures are jawdropping! I love the reflections of the mountains in the water. I've never been to Slovenia but would LOVE to go. The most storybook place I've ever been to was Banff in Alberta, Canada. It's such an incredibly beautiful ski town and it is pure perfection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh yes. Banff is on the short list of places I can't wait to go. Every picture I've seen has been incredible. And I love camping // hiking. So I know I would love it there.

      Delete
  7. Ahhhhhhhhh, these pictures make me want to jump on a plane right now! What an incredible place to explore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was! And there are so many other towns within a short days drive. That was one of my favorite things about Europe. Everything was so close together!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful! I have to admit that Slovenia hasn't even been on my radar until this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly it wasn't on mine either until this trip. Now there's more I want to explore!

      Delete
  9. Amazing pictures! How cool to see a real castle and all of that beautiful scenery! The only out-of-country traveling I have done is to Canada. The most amazing place I have been to is the Grand Canyon and Slovenia sure looks like a wonderful trip!
    Amy @ http://www.livinglifetruth.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy!

      The Grand Canyon is amazing isn't it? The whole southwest of the US continues to amaze me. So different from the east coast!

      Delete
  10. I so loved seeing all of these pictures Jessie! I highly doubt I'll ever visit here so seeing pictures is very cool! I've never been out of the country and there is so much of this country I have yet to see. I don't even have a passport! I know after I type that I'm all of a sudden feeling so sheltered, got to change that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some of those pictures look like paintings! Gorgeous. I love seeing the alps in the background too. I hope you went out on a boat while you were there. I can't say I've been to a storybook type place. Our trips outside of the US have all been tropical in nature. Thanks for linking with us Jessie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I spent 3 weeks in Slovenia about 10 years ago, and I also got to visit Lake Bled during that time. Your pictures brought back so many wonderful memories :)

    ReplyDelete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!