Monday, April 4, 2016

Weekend Highlights : It's snowing...in April

Hi Friends. Happy Monday? Hate that my weekend is over, but I have lots of excitement on the horizon, so I suppose, as always, life will go on.

I'm linking up with Holly,TriciaKatie as I share my weekend highlights,

What were you up to this weekend in your neck of the woods? Saturday here was fine & dandy. Warm-ish, 50's and sunny. Then I wake up Sunday morning...SNOW. IN APRIL. WTF? No thanks.


Of course, being the brilliant souls that we are, the BF & I had made plans to go adventuring on Sunday. We had decided (per my Springtime bucket list (is it "springtime" if there is snow on the ground?)) to go hiking somewhere new. We headed about 2 hours southeast of Pittsburgh to Mt. Davis, the tallest peak in PA.

When we arrived & parked the wind was whipping snow into little snow tornados all around us, we couldn't find the trail head & we were walking in about a foot of snow. Literally. So, we wandered around for a few minutes, hopped back in the car & headed further down road. We found the fire tower we had hoped to hike to, climbed it, experienced the ridiculous wind, but now 50 feet in the air...


I snapped a picture or two before we headed down. 


We found ourselves a short mile long trail & traipsed through the woods before one of us got hungry. And hint hint, for once it was NOT me. Back to the car for some sandwiches before we forged on.


We found ourselves a nice overlook of nearby High Point Lake.


Before having to turn back around...and yes, we did hop out of the car in hopes that we had acquired super strength & could move the tree. No such luck.


We picked a new to us route home & stopped in the little town of Confluence, at the confluence of  the Youghiogheny River (said Yock-A-Gane-E) & enjoyed some rails to trails hiking before calling it a day.


While it was still cold, it turned out to be a bright sunny day.


What were you up to this weekend?
Was it cold in your neck of the woods?
Any totally unpronounceable towns, rivers or other landmarks where you live?
Like seriously. Youghiogheny?

22 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos! It got a bit cold for us this weekend as well, and more cold tomorrow. I'm sure Spring is on the way though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oof. I sure hope so. The wind made everything feel even colder! But the sky was bright & crisp & it looked more like spring than dreary winter, so I think you're right!

      Delete
  2. Wow, you got more snow! Praise God for all this awesome moisture. Colorado has mostly pronounceable towns and rivers and lakes. The hardest one for me sometimes to get right is Buena Vista. O_o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buena Vista is one I think I could manage to get right. Some of my years of Spanish class coming in handy! We have a bunch around here that I just cannot get right. Duquesne is another that trips a lot of people up.

      Delete
  3. These pictures are so pretty! I love hiking new places so much. It was so cold and windy on Saturday (especially during my 5k.. of course right?) and then Sunday it got up to 70. #spring. This time of year I'm constantly flipping between the heat and air conditioning in my car haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course during your 5K. Haha. That's how I feel, I'll bust out my sandals & drive with the windows down one day, the next I'm trying to remember where I set my coat.

      Delete
  4. I would have been scared to death to go up that tower with winds that are knocking down trees :)
    Mother Nature is drunk - I'm convinced

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The worst part was the dinky little metal steps that were half iced over. Up wasn't so bad, it was trying to get down that was quite the harrowing experience.

      Agreed. I was joking that this was how Mother Nature's hangover from Saturday night manifested itself. Haha.

      Delete
  5. what a beautiful day! that last picture of the river looks so serene. Its all flat and boring where i live so i always love mountain / river pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bummer to flat & boring. But I have to say it was super peaceful where I snagged this picture. The BF & I were the only ones out & we headed down from the trail to the waters edge & just took it all in for a few minutes.

      Delete
  6. I wish I went on a hike this weekend!! It was so nice in NY but then yeah the snow came back over here too!! =P

    Melanie | Blog: Toots + Dill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gross, right? Snow.

      Get out there soon! Hiking is one of my favorite activities & it's free, or darn close to it, which makes it even better!

      Delete
  7. Your pictures are STUNNING. Absolutely gorgeous!

    I was in disbelief at the crazy winter-like weather over the weekend, too. Thanks for the pronunciation guidance on Youghiogheny. I had to have some help learning how to say "Monongahela" at first. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily!

      I'm convinced that's why it just gets shorted to The Mon. Who wants to say Monongahela all the time?

      Delete
  8. bahahaha i love that you tried to move the tree!! i reckon we would have tried as well. seriously, kudos to you for getting out in that weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it was worth a shot right? We really wanted to get to an abandoned camp we wanted to explore, but this was the only "road" that went there.

      Delete
  9. I feel like the southern hemisphere must be stealing some of your spring heat! We are supposedly in Autumn (fall) in Australia but we've been having summer-like weather mixed up with gross cold and rainy days!

    Funnily enough, last year during winter we had an insane storm which brought down heaps of trees and Jesse decided we should go for a drive through the national park to check it out - only to find trees blocking our path. So what did Jesse do? Get out in the rain in his raincoat and superman haul the trees out of the way. I swear, the look on his face was like all of his childhood dreams came true in that moment, haha! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be. Give me back my spring! Haha.

      Oh wow. Go Jesse! I was so hoping we would be able to move this one with the two of us. It was pretty heavy & maybe a little stuck too? The BF should really hit the gym more. I'm doing my part. Haha.

      Delete
  10. That sounds like a fun and spontaneous weekend adventure, despite Mother Nature's joke. I'm not sure I'd like to be up in the fire tower on a windy day. I wonder if anyone uses (or works in) those any more? We have a few "oosas" around here: Tallapoosa, Coosa, Tuscaloosa. Sadly, we have no rails to trails around here. Thanks for linking with us Jessie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I did not like being up there, so I just snapped my pictures & sloooowly walked down.

      Tuscaloosa I've heard of, but never the others, I guess I never realized there were multiple "oosas". Interesting!

      Delete
  11. That sounds like a fun weekend adventure. I agree with you - it is spring and it should NOT be snowing anymore! I have my first 50K this weekend and they are now calling for snow. Fabulous.

    It would be scary to go up on that fire tower with the wind! I like going up on those things to see the view, but being up there always gives me a slightly dizzy feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck on your 50K & fingers crossed it DOES NOT SNOW.

      I was afraid it would be shaking with all the wind when we got to the top, but luckily it wasn't. Or I definitely would have gotten dizzy.

      Delete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!