Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Running Lately : Are we there yet?

Today is going to be short, sweet & to the point folks. Yesterday kicked my ass. Work managed to both speed by & drag on. I had nary a second to spare. I've got a lot going on this week & I'm just feeling all around ready for the week to be over. Unfortunately it's only Tuesday, so I've got to suck it up for a few more days. A short rant below. Linking up with Marcia x Patty x Erika for Tuesdays on the run to share.

tuesdays

I don't know about you, but some training cycles I am all "Rah Rah Sis Boom Bah" & others I find that I'm not quite as into it as I thought I was. I'm not sure when, but some time over the last 16 or so weeks my mind switched from the former to the latter. Maybe it was when I found out my goal race was going to be a no-go. That left me with the Pittsburgh Half Marathon. 

I've run either the Pittsburgh half or full 5 times now. And I've never done well. Last year it was 70+ degrees, sunny & humid after being in the 40's the weeks prior. The course is hilly, the first few miles are crowded, there is a long uphill around mile 11 for the half. Honestly, this is not a PR race. So, once I accepted that this training cycle was not leading me to a goal race I tapped out. I still get my long runs in, but my speed workouts have been a joke recently, and unfortunately I just don't care.

I have a time goal in mind for my upcoming half, essentially a course PR. I think I can do it. But I owe myself some quality runs. Unfortunately, right now, I want to get back to running on my schedule. Short & sweet & working on speed. I want to do some serious damage to the 5K distance this summer. I'm ready for my weekend "long runs" to be 8 miles, not 12. 

How does my running feel lately? Uninspired. I'm ready to finish my half & run on my terms, my way. Run when I want to, stop when I don't want to.


Anyone else feeling uninspired lately?
How do you keep motivated when training for a race you aren't using as a goal race?
What's your favorite thing about the "seasons" in between races? The times with no plans.

12 comments:

  1. I feel the same exact way- uninspired. Maybe it's just that point in spring training because I know a lot of others who feel the same way! I'm not using this full as a goal race so maybe that's why I don't even care at this point lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you, sister! The upside is that running on your own terms will be so much sweeter after you get through training and the half. You're almost there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I was in the same spot. I had a pretty long training cycle and it seems like it's hard to sustain the energy and excitement for that long. I hope you enjoy the shorter runs and speedy 5ks after Pittsburgh :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, be thankful your long runs are 12 and not 18!! But, I get it. I'm tired of training too. And yes, we really are almost there. It feels forever away but in 4 weeks it will be post race and I guarantee you all of us will be saying "where did the time go??" Hang in there

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! Uninspired sounds rough! Maybe it's the awful swinging weather ! I know that the strong cold wind has me wishing for warm weather... and I normally don't complain about the weather.

    I hope you find some good inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally feel you. I loved starting my half marathon training & having a plan ahead of me... but I'm now at the point where I'm able to run without a plan - make a good 5 or 6 mile run as my normal weekend run - not whatever the schedule says :) Uninspired is a good word for it

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear that you are feeling uninspired. I don't normally ever feel like that but if I do, I would still get out there bc I always feel better when I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. honestly? i think i have been feeling that way for 4 years. i have just been feeling blah with running, and it all started because i took too much time off after a really good half marathon (for me) and never got back up to where i was, so i am constantly comparing, constantly getting further away, and constantly hating that. it's stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally get you! I felt like this for my past 2 half marathon training cycles. I actually am somewhat opposite at the moment.. but who knows for how long! Haha. I'm starting training this week for a half at the end of May and I'm really excited. Hopefully that will pay off and not result in burning out or something.

    I think when I have done a half marathon before it doesn't get me as excited or motivated. Knowing the course or having a race be at home instead of traveling for it doesn't have the excitement that a new-to-me race does. I don't know.. I'm weird haha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you find your mojo. We all go through it from time to time. When I get stuck I try and mix thing up a bit, find the fun side of things to help me. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think this uninspired thing is going around. I've totally been there done that. It's really why I didn't signup for any big race this spring. Just was not feeling it. Burnout is real. Wow kudos to you for continuing to run a race that is so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was this way all winter. I'm just now finally getting back into it and it's still a bit of a struggle. I ended up signing up for a billion races so that I occasionally push myself.

    Hope your mojo arrives before the race. And then enjoy the freedom after.

    ReplyDelete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!