Thursday, April 28, 2016

I don't care about your wedding...but here's what I do care about



I don't care about your wedding.

There. I said it. I won't take it back. I mean it.

I don't care about your centerpieces, or your venue, or your bridesmaids dress, and I really don't care if I'm in your wedding. Because I don't care about wedding favors, or shower invitations, or who is sitting with whom and at what table. Bridesmaid status or not, it speaks nothing of our friendship & the memories we have shared.

I don't care what your hair looks like, or what your color scheme is, whether you have a wedding website, or a band vs a DJ. I don't care if you have a buffet or sit down dinner, I don't care if you invite your second cousins, and I don't care about your something blue.

I guarantee I won't remember any of these details if asked about them later.

I just don't care.

What do I care about?

I care that you're marrying a man that you love, one that loves you back, and fiercely.
I care how your dress makes you feel. I hope it makes you feel beautiful and special, because you are. This is your day.

I hope your hair makes you feel like a princess and that your bridesmaids, whoever they are (but please not me) make your wedding day a breeze. I hope they handle the chaos so you don't have to. 

I care that you are surrounded by the friends and family who love you most & who can't wait to see you join your life with another.

I care that you can take time to breathe, to celebrate. To look all around & see that this is all for you. That everyone is here to celebrate you, your new husband and your life together. I care that you take a second to drown everything out, all the noise, everyone vying for your attention & take your husband's hand. Take it, look at him & remember this moment.

I care about the great memories I'll have in 10 years about how I danced my face off, to whatever music you decide to play, because I know I'm going to have the best time helping you celebrate.

I care that in 10 years you can still look at this man you've chosen & say you love him.

But centerpieces? I don't give a fuck about centerpieces.

Linking up with A little R&RAmanda x Twinkly Tuesday 

20 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, yes, yes! When I was engaged I flirted with the idea of a fancy, traditional wedding but it wasn't worth it to us for the price. We got married out of state at the most gorgeous b&b with just 10 people. It was so perfect and let us ficus on the important part of our wedding - getting married and enjoying the day with friends and family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate!

      Delete
  2. ameh! but change wedding to baby shower because i care about your baby but i dont care about the games, the cake and all that garbage just that you have a healthy happy baby...all my friends are married now so i have moved into the baby shower rather than wedding season of life lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG yes. And I certainly don't need to attend a party where you reveal the gender of your unborn child.

      Delete
  3. YES! I've never understood how people could get so caught up in all the tiny details to the point where the whole wedding becomes a stressful experience for them. I used to think I wanted a huge fancy wedding, but the older I get, the more I think I just want something simple and intimate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting that way too. Especially the more I hear about how much all these things cost too.

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh this is awesome. I've never been involved in planning a wedding but I'm a bridesmaid in a friend's wedding this fall. I always think of the phrase "the devil is in the details" and it can be so true in this situation. Whenever I plan my wedding someday I don't ever want to give in to all the minor details that like you said, people will not remember at all. This post is great:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bridesmaid in a few right now. And I swear, people keep wanting my opinion on these little details. My only opinion is that I wish you would stop asking me.

      Delete
  5. oh i am such a bitter mean person because i was super mad that i was not in a certain someone's wedding.. in fact, i've never been in a wedding at all. i know everyone is like it's not all it's cracked up to be, but i would be a freaking great bridesmaid, i know it lol. but yeah i don't actually care about all the things a wedding entails, like decor and shit, i just like being there for people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, so next time I get asked to be in a wedding I'm actually going to recommend you instead. Haha.

      Delete
  6. Love this! You have a great way with words - When I was a bride, I worried about so much of that and how my friends/bridesmaids would feel - it's refreshing to read this from another's perspective on the other side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah :)

      Honestly, I just want my friends to be happy & it just never seems like all the stress about centerpieces or tiny details brings joy for all the stress it causes.

      Delete
  7. Haha. This is so funny but so real. I am glad you wrote the other side with all the things you do care about instead. Great post.
    Visiting from the TOL linkup
    https://runwright.net/2016/04/28/thursdays-tumbled-thoughts/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :)

      Too many bridesmaid duties will make a girl a little bitter, ya know?

      Delete
  8. Lol and THIS is exactly why I'm very hesitant to even mention my wedding on my blog!! I feel the same way. I don't care about these things about my own one so why would I care about someone elses? Lol that's a quick way for me to unsubscribe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha none of that talk here Gretchen!

      Delete
  9. i like the idea of wedding and all that but lately, since my facebook is overloaded with wedding stuff - im starting to feel the same way too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My newsfeed is pretty much just engagements, followed by weddings, followed by babies. And I'm just over here trying to keep my house stocked with dish soap. Haha.

      Delete
  10. So true! The wedding is just a day. It's the marriage and the life together afterwards that counts. :).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to print this out & give to all my brides!!!
    I've seen brides cry over things that I've literally said, "Is that going to make you not become a wife at the end of the day?"... & under my breath saying, "SUCK IT UP!!!!!" :) haha

    ReplyDelete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!