Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Becoming an Early Riser : 5 Tips to make you one too

I get comments all the time from co-workers about how dedicated I must be to go to the gym each morning before work. That they wish they could, but they can't get up that early. Wanna know secret? I'm not a morning person. I would say at least 3 days a week I fight the urge to hit the snooze button, at least twice. Or, sometimes I do hit it. But I get out of bed. How? It's not always easy, but here are the 5 tips that have helped me.



1. Get out of bed
No, seriously. I know you're thinking "that's not a tip". Okay, maybe it's not. But, get out of bed & see if by golly, turning on a light or two & walking around doesn't make you more awake already.

2. Prep ahead of time
I pack my gym bag the night before, I lay out my planned workout outfit, & I gather all of my food together in the fridge. ALL I have to do in the morning is brush my teeth, get dressed & grab my things. I'm out the door & ready to workout.

3. Be consistent
While my week day wake-up call is usually 6AM, even when I "sleep in" I'm up by 8AM. This makes my transition back to Monday mornings that much easier. Spend your Sunday sleeping in until 10 or 11AM & you'll never get back up early. Not only do I make a practice of 5 day a week early wakeups but, soon enough, 8AM really will feel luxurious.

4. Remember the benefits
I'm not a morning person. I never have been. I have come, however, to appreciate how much I can get done if I start early.

Those hours before my phone is blowing up, those hours before people are vying for my attention & those hours when the rest of the world is still fairly quiet. I get a lot done. Most days that means a workout. Some days that may mean grocery shopping or quiet time to reflect on the week.

I spend the rest of the day more energetic & get more done overall. And somehow, waking up earlier, in time for a workout, seems to mean less cups of coffee that I NEED to function. Doesn't mean I still don't drink my fair share. But it's more because the office is freezing & less because my brain needs it.

5. Drink water
Sleep dehydrates you. I mean think about it. When else do you go 8 hours without drinking any water? I grab a cold glass of water first thing in the morning before I brush my teeth. The cold water wakes me up & helps me get hydrated.

What are your tips for getting out of bed early in the morning?
Are you a naturally early riser?

I'm linking up with Deb for her Wednesday Word : Energetic.

Deb Runs

22 comments:

  1. Don't hit the snooze button. I think that's the worst way to try to get up. Just do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am such a snoozer. I usually hit the button at least twice. I would have so much more time in the mornings if I just woke up when the alarm went off.

      Delete
  2. I think having a plan helps too. Otherwise I stay in bed figuring out what I'm going to do (what type of workout) until it's too late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Such a good tip & one I forgot, even though it's one I use.

      Delete
  3. Prep'ing the night before really helps. And I'm consistent with my wake up times between the weekends and weekdays which makes working out on weekend mornings easy. I'm contemplating trying to push up my weekday wake up time so I can get morning workouts in on the weekdays but I'm not sure how it will work. I guess no way to know other than to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely give it a try. I think the success might entail things like what time you start work & commute times, etc. And how you like to work out. I keep everything between 30 - 50 minutes on weekdays since I know that's how much time I'm willing to devote before work.

      Delete
  4. I have no choice to get up at 5am :) Work calls :)
    But it takes similar dedication to do night time workouts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 5AM, just to get to work. Sheesh. Honestly. Half the reason I'm "dedicated" enough to work out in the morning is because I'm always too lazy & full of excuses by the time evening rolls around. I can talk myself out of just about anything.

      Delete
  5. I was up early 4-5 days a week for my workouts during my first 9 weeks of training? I'm still trying to figure out how the heck I did it. Honestly I think the only thing that kept me going was that my hatred for running after work was just a little bit greater than my hatred for running in the AM. When that alarm would go off I just had to tell myself "seriously, just do it. You will feel so much better if you get this done." It also helped to break it up into mini tasks. If I said to myself "I have to go to the gym and run 9 miles of intervals," that made me wanna crawl back under the covers. But if I said, "Ok, all you have to do is get up, get dressed. Then you can make coffee." Once I did that I would focus on the next step: "get to the bus stop. Then you can relax inside the nice warm bus for a few minutes." And so on, until before I knew it, I was done with the damn workout! Yay!

    I'm hoping to get back into AM running now that the weather is warmer, the sun rises earlier and my mileage will be shorter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I try to focus on just getting out of bed, not the whole day & workout ahead of me. It usually works.

      I love morning running in the summer. When it's starting to get light out, there is dew on the grass & so few people are outside. Plus, otherwise it's stiflingly hot & humid here.

      Delete
  6. oh number 1...i think all the others are just sub points because if you dont get out of bed it doesnt even matter. the struggle is real especially when its cold outside and the warm bed just feels so nice :) great list!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss. Such a struggle. Especially when it's dark outside. At least now that it gets lighter earlier it's a little easier. My room faces East so it's sometimes hard to sleep once the sun is up anyways.

      Delete
  7. I usually mix it up between working out after work or in the morning. These are all great tips though. I've learned that I have to commmit to it. If I say "maybe I'll workout in the morning" I for sure will snooze my alarm and not get up. I have to fully say "yes Amanda, you are working out in the morning or else not at all today." It sounds weird haha. The days when I start my morning with a run or workout are my favorite though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely have to give myself a pep talk & a verbal self commitment. If I even contemplate for a second that maybe I could snooze & workout some other time it's game over. And I really can't convince myself to workout after work. It's the wost.

      Delete
  8. yes to all of this. haha. seriously. i was not a morning person and now i call myself one but i am still not someone who bounces out of bed ready to take on the day. i always want to lay there. i think that being consistent is the number 1 thing for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've literally never bounced out of bed. I'd love to know the secret. I think we're probably in the same boat. I still don't love waking up early. But I like the effects, so I do it. And that ruins my internal clock & my ability to sleep late on weekends, so I guess by default, I am a morning person.

      Delete
  9. I am a naturally early riser as my body gives me no choice, haha! I am up and ready to go by 6am at the latest every morning :P To the point where, if I "sleep in" til 7am my family automatically assume I'm ill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if that makes you lucky or not!? Getting up early definitely has its perks. Nerd Status...but I would totally go grocery shopping super early on the weekends before the mobs of people were out, I mean if you're already up, why not. Haha

      Delete
  10. What time do you have to be to work in the morning? I have to be at work before 8am and I have a half hour drive so I never get a run/workout in before work but am very proud of those who do. I notice that I do feel so much better when I wake up early on the weekends to. Like you, I barely sleep past 8am and love those morning hours to catch up on things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I start work at 830AM. But I am extra lucky. My gym is close to my work, so I skip the morning traffic by going early AND only have a few minutes drive after my workout is complete.

      I really don't know if my morning workout routine would hold strong if I had to work earlier in the morning or had a longer commute.

      Delete
  11. I'm struggling to get back into the habit of waking up earlier. You are right once you get into the habit it doesn't take much work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wake up between 4:30 and 6:30 on weekdays, 6 on Saturdays (for my long run), and 8 on Sundays. Like you, I love what I can get done when no one else is awake.

    Your water tip is spot on. I drink at least 16 ounces of water first thing when I wake up and it really wakes me up and gets me going. I've been doing that for almost 20 years.

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!