Thursday, April 7, 2016

Adulting 101 : How to adult when you don't feel qualified

 Ever have those days where you fail at something, even a tiny little inconsequential thing & all of a sudden you question how ANYONE could consider you an adult? Yeah. Been there. Like, pretty much this whole week so far.


My house ran out of dish soap & hand soap, because we had been using dish soap as hand soap, so, is it safe to wash my dishes with shampoo? Or is body wash a better choice? Head & Shoulders vs Mango Pomegranate Body Scrub...opinions anyone?

When I was 22 I laughed this stuff off. Of course I'm not an adult. I'm 22. But as I got a few years older I started to feel like I should have it together. Like these moments that I'm not adulty enough should go away, or be few & far between. & instead, they seem to happen just as often. Though I've gotten some of the basics down.



Sometimes, you just need a reminder that you, yes, YOU, are adulting just as well as anybody else. So, read on, see if you too, are adulting well & hold your head high, for you my friend, are an adult!

1. The clothes you decided to wear today passed the sniff test

2. You are employed
Dream job or not. Errybody needs $$$.

3. You arrived to your employment on time
Eh. Within a 10 minute window or so. Good enough.

4. Your residence currently has electricity
This means you (or maybe someone else) paid the bill last month & they haven't shut your power off.

5. You've eaten today (unless you're reading this super early)
Takeout, homemade, chips & guac, stale (but free) bagel you found at work. Whatever. Are you fed? Two thumbs up for basic adulting.

Please tell me you all have a plastic bag full of plastic bags at home.
That you never seem to use so it just keeps multiplying...

6. Your house has toilet paper
Yup. Pretty much speaks for itself. Can't live without it.

7. Your debit // credit card was not declined today
You have at least enough $$$ to cover whatever you were trying to buy. Maybe it was your takeout from #5 to keep yourself fed.

8. Your sink is not full of dirty dishes 

9. You put on a bra for work today



Tell me about some adulting you did today.
Anyone still failing at adulting on occasion?


21 comments:

  1. I always really feel like an adult when I have to go to the bank or make a doctors appointment. It's so weird, but I hate calling and making appointments - I want my mom to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh this is fabulous! we have a trader joes paper bag that we keep our plastic bags in and we actually do use them because we have 3 cats haha. but the 'when a person is your house, you should feed them' that's gold. but honestly, i love this. less than 10 years ago, i was not paying all my bills or feeding myself or wearing bras all the time, so i am really an adult now. also, we have hand soap and dish soap right next to each other in the kitchen, but after i have been touching raw chicken or anything else, i use dish soap haha. no shame. thanks for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It still freaks me out sometimes that I am the one in charge of decisions in life. I dont like it. one bit :)
    ... & I miss my snack & nap time :) haha
    Paying freaking property taxes - that's adulting x's 1000 for me this week :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh geeze. No property tax is one of my few, fleeting benefits of renting. Those sound so scary. Like why does no one bring this up in high school!?

      Delete
  4. Definitely fail at adulting at times. We did our taxes early and were so proud of ourselves. Of course we forgot something and now we have to redo them. Adulting fail :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no. That's such a bummer. And it means you can't get your refund yet either!

      Delete
  5. We all fail at adulting here and there, and usually in funny ways like having to think about alternate uses for dish liquid or TP. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good thing I finally broke down and bought some more dish soap. It's like a dollar. Idol what my problem is.

      Delete
  6. I got a nice pan set for Christmas and I don't even feel adult enough for them :/. I wonder if I am using them properly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only tip I have is don't use metal on non-stick pans. Other than that? Anything goes in my book! Haha

      Delete
  7. Hehe... I love this. I fail at adulting all the time, and I think I feel the most like an adult when I can fix something, because my mom is SO good at fixing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh. Fixing stuff is a good one. That's where Google seriously comes in to play!

      Delete
  8. you made your own doctor/dentist appointment and actually showed up...nothing says adult like deciding to go to the doctor without being forced. that plastic bag thing...i have one too!!! my mom would use them as trash bag liners, i use them to pick up dog poo...see useful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use them as trash bags for my little trash cans. Unfortunately I somehow obtain more than I use. So my collections keeps getting bigger. Ah. I'll have to get a dog so I can use them!

      Delete
  9. OMG I love this. I can't even pick out one thing on here because seriously all of it is MY LIFE STORY these days.

    My adulting fail is that we've been eating out instead of grocery shopping lately because we are too tired/lazy/time crunched to go and then make meals...and that I missed the deadline for my student loan bill 3 months in a row now (but I paid it!! Adulting WIN!)...and that I still have not done my taxes. Whatev, I have time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you for getting that loan paid, but girl. Get that automatic payment set up! Save yourself a headache every month!

      Delete
    2. Haha I have it set up for two of them, but for the third, I have to actually print out and sign a form and mail/fax it in (seems ironic for an online auto-debit program), so naturally, I just keep putting it off.

      Delete
  10. Hahaha I love this! I could talk about adulting all day long because it's just such a weird thing right?! Omg yes I have like 83 million plastic bags. I don't think we will ever run out.

    Sometimes I sound like such an adult (aka my mom).. like when I grocery shop and freak out at my boyfriend for buying brand name ketchup. Like no, we can save 43 cents by buying the cheaper generic version!

    A majority of the time I feel like I'm still 17. It's so weird right? Like when you're out of college you're supposed to be a grown up but you don't feel like it. Weird. Life is so weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I meal plan like a boss but if it was up to me I would never go to the doctors again. Some things are just hard. And I gotta say I'm wish the BF. Heinz is where it's at. That's a .43 splurge I'm willing to make every time!

      Delete
  11. I definitely have a bag full of bags! All of this is hilarious and so true! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The first thing that I moved into my house was toilet paper haha! SO I definitely agree with that one ;) Still working on that dream job but like you said- you just need to make money! Thank you for linking up with Kristen and me :)

    ReplyDelete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!