Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Workout Recap & the hardest part about running

I was going to be back in force this week with my workout recap & fancy graphic & then I'm not. No real reason for why, just don't feel like I had much to share on the workout front. & can't really remember what I did. I've sort of fallen off the tracking wagon. I usually log my workouts on SparkPeople or MyFitnessPal & have done neither of those since before I left for New Zealand. Sigh. Does a workout even count if you don't track it?

Anyways, I'm linking up today with MarciaPatty & Erika for Tuesdays on the Run to chat about the hardest part of running.


The hardest part of running for me is balance. I don't mean in the keeping myself from falling over way, but more in the keeping things in equilibrium way.

How do I balance running with cross training?
How do I balance fuel in with fuel out?
How do I balance time spent with friends vs time spent training?

At first it seems simple. Run 5 days a week, or however many days feels good. But you soon find out that comes at the cost of cross training & strength training. Does ignoring those things make you a better runner since it means you run more? Unfortunately, nope.

And okay, I ran 10 miles today. I can eat whatever I want. I earned it. Also nope. Sure, you could eat that whole pepperoni pizza. And trust me, I've been known to do that. But the balance is in recognizing that the pizza will affect you negatively later & balancing your desire to fall in face first, with your desire to feel good & fuel well to make your next run a success.

The balance between training & friends // family may sound simple. If you run in the morning, what's the big deal. Just hang out with your people after work. Slow down there, skippy. Okay, I do run in the mornings. But if I'm up at 6, you can believe I'll want to be in bed by 10. While my friends are still going strong. So, do I stay up late & enjoy the quality time, or do I head to bed & wake up bright eyed the next morning.

I've been running for 6 years now & I still don't have the balance. Some weeks I am social & well fed & cross trained. Managing all of that makes me feel like I am on top of the world. Then there are other weeks where I barely make it out for my 3 scheduled runs, eat like shit & hole up in my house like a hermit.

What's the hardest part of running // working out for you?
Do you schedule your training around others schedules?
Do you feel like you have balance?

27 comments:

  1. I agree, balance definitely seems like one of the hardest things for me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one! Hopefully we can both find some while we finish out half marathon training!

      Delete
  2. I've often said that training for a marathon (or a half marathon, even!) is basically like having a 2nd job. Honestly, I think the best way to "have balance" during an intense training cycle is to accept the fact that I simply won't have as much. Before I go into a training cycle, I force myself to think long and hard about what I'm about to get myself into and come to terms with the fact that training for a race will mean making some sacrifices for the next few months. I think people put too much pressure on themselves to "have it all", but in reality, there is no such thing as perfect balance. We have to prioritize, and every choice we make has a cost. If I want to devote more time to running and training, inevitably that means cutting back on something else; if I don't want to cut back on other things in my life then, well, I better not expect I'm going to make breakthroughs in my running or be in peak fitness. Sure, it sucks sometimes and I often get really sick of devoting all this time to marathon training. But I made this decision and I knew what I was signing up for.

    It's normal that some weeks you feel one way and some you feel another way. Just take it one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Actually, part of the reason I'm only running the half in Pittsburgh this year is because the full last year was more time than I wanted to put in again. I felt like I missed out on a lot & that it wasn't worth it.

      It's hard to commit to not having any real fitness breakthroughs. 'Cause we always want that. + margaritas & late nights with friends & eating whatever.

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh - this is so spot on. I totally refused to take on any photo sessions during my training because I know how hard it is to focus on training while doing life in general... balance is a good word for it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! Knowing your limitations & working within them. I would bet that makes for a much happier training cycle.

      Delete
  4. The hardest part for me with running is staying consistent with it. Some weeks I'm so motivated and other weeks, it is torture. I'm just not a natural runner so it's all about the mind games for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems to be pretty true for me too. I'm getting more natural, if that's possible? But some weeks I really have to force myself out the door.

      Delete
  5. Yes! Balance is always so difficulty to find--I learned the hard way that I needed to cross train in order to stay injury free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully I did not have to get injured to learn, but it has definitely improved my running 10 fold.

      Delete
  6. I think balance with everything is tough. Running and marathon training takes a lot out of you (more than most people even realize). I loved this post because it's definitely true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely. When I was training for the marathon last year, I would do my long runs, but then be too tired to do anything & would need a nap & pretty much got nothing done all weekend & just repeated that cycle for 5 months.

      Delete
  7. That's a good one, Balance! On days I teach my classes I feel guilty when I don't get my runs in. But I have to keep reminding myself that cross training is just as important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No guilt! Not running on top of teaching is probably doing you more good anyways! Cross training is such an important tool.

      Delete
  8. Crazy how different we are all. You think going to bed at 10 is early, and I struggle to stay awake until 10 on the weekends! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely DO NOT get up as early as you. If I ran 8+ miles before the sun came up I would be passed out well before 10PM too. Haha. Sometimes 10PM is a struggle, but in general a fairly standard bedtime for me.

      Delete
  9. Balance is definitely tough, but I somehow make it work. Sidenote: I've also stopped tracking my workouts except my mileage on my phone notepad. I just have no desire to log my workouts anymore. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure about this not tracking. I like the freedom, but usually before a half or another race I'll look back at my training logs as a reminder of all the hard work I've put in as a confidence boost that I can do it.

      Delete
  10. I agree with all of this so much! Especially the part about being social. Some days I'm all for staying out late and other days I want to do nothing but go to bed early. Sometimes I wish I could just be consistent with everything, but then I would either A. never see my friends/have fun or B. never get enough sleep/be healthy/etc. So I guess it's alright to do a little of both:) haha. T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Sometimes I go too far to one side, either being social or getting lots of sleep. Usually my body tells me when it's time to get it together & get some balance, but sometimes by then it's too late.

      Delete
  11. I agree with all of this so much! Especially the part about being social. Some days I'm all for staying out late and other days I want to do nothing but go to bed early. Sometimes I wish I could just be consistent with everything, but then I would either A. never see my friends/have fun or B. never get enough sleep/be healthy/etc. So I guess it's alright to do a little of both:) haha. T

    ReplyDelete
  12. Balance is tough! The hardest part for me right now is getting up early in the morning to run/workout. I just know that if I do it, it will get me closer to my goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, I can vouch for how tough it is to wakeup early to workout, especially if it's still dark. But I've found it is oh so worth it. But even after years of working out early I still struggle with the snooze button.

      Delete
  13. I could not agree more that balance is tough. It's all such a juggling act and I never seem to get it right. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never seem to get it right either, but I am always in pursuit!

      Delete
  14. Yes, finding balance is always hard. I am training for my first marathon and my social life and late nights have taken a back seat. But I think the pendulum will swing back at some point...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was right where you are this time last year. The pendulum definitely swung back & when it did I was more than ready.

      Delete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!