Monday, March 21, 2016

Weekend Highlights : It's a tough job, but someone has got to do it

Really hard to believe it's Sunday afternoon already as I sit down to type this. I feel like the weekend FLEW by. I got not nearly enough accomplished around the house & somehow it's already almost Monday again.

Luckily this coming week is a short week for me. We get Friday off of work. So I've got my eye on that 3 day weekend prize!

Friday night was a delicious fish fry, that I inhaled & managed to capture no pictures of...
But picture clam chowder, fried fish, mac & cheese, homemade coleslaw, bread & butter & a dixie cup full of Franzia...because no church fish fry is complete without room temperature Franzia.

Saturday morning was a nice long 13 mile run. I had 12 on the schedule, but the group run route was set for 13, so I went a little further than needed. It's always worth it. Though I'm definitely feeling it today, thanks to a serious hill or two in the first 3 miles.


After my run I had the terribly hard job of stand-in fiance for a friend who had a wedding cake tasting scheduled. We headed to a local Pittsburgh bakery to test out the options. Unfortunately neither of us were impressed. But, I guess that's just one more option to take of the table. We headed back to her favorite bakery so far, Grandview Bakery & snagged a cupcake to share.


And then proceeded to snag a few pictures of the pup all "dressed" up for a belated St. Patrick's Day, before he rebelled & said NO MORE.


This morning I set out to make these Mint Chip Oreos from Your Cup of Cake. They are absolutely delicious & were so simple since they used a boxed cake mix for the cookie portion. I added much more mint extract that the recipe called for since it wasn't minty enough for my liking, but other than that, I followed the recipe as written. Unfortunately, the recipe only made 15 or so. I probably could have eeked a few more out, but I made my last set of cookies a bit larger than I realized.


I'll just be busy trying to distract myself to avoid eating these for the next few hours since I made them to take to a house warming party later tonight. MUST. BE. STRONG.

How was your weekend?
Anyone else with a short work week on the horizon?
What's your favorite kind of cake? 

I'm linking up with  Holly,Tricia, Erin & Katie. 
 

20 comments:

  1. Great job on that 13 miler! Those mint chip oreos look delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were so good, turned out even better than I expected. I thought I would have some to take home from the party, but they were all gone!

      Delete
  2. 13 miles? Great job! And then standing in for wedding cake tasting sounds perfect. I want allll the clam chowder and mac 'n cheese!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. She was all, can I ask a favor. When I found out it was cake tasting I was all over that!

      Delete
  3. Those cookies. oh my word!!!
    I keep seeing where people try to get a date to sign up with them for wedding cake tastings :) haha
    My hero - I struggled to get in 9 miles & you're zooming through 13. I toast a room temp Franzia to you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I will drink to that!

      Seriously. I think those cookies are getting made again this weekend. So simply. So tasty & I only got to eat 2, which is like 5 less than I would usually eat. Haha.

      Delete
  4. Oh man, wedding cake testing sounds like a dream job haha. Congrats on your run! I have to work on Friday but the second I'm off I'm headed home to a fish fry with my family.. I've been looking forward to this for way too many days haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't been to one in forever. I forgot how much I love them. The food is always great. And tons of food for the $$$ too. And at least where we went, we ran into all kinds of people we hadn't seen in forever.

      Delete
  5. Mint-chocolate is one of my favorite flavors. I still have my mint chocolate chip cookies from Christmas in the freezer but only because I've lost a lot of my sweet tooth. Great 13-mile run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep indulging my sweet tooth, which makes it hard to lose. I love mint chocolate too. These were great, I was afraid people would think the filling tasted like toothpaste if they were picky about mint, but everyone loved them!

      Delete
  6. Cake is my weakness. I love the traditional minty wedding cake too. Cupcakes. Any cake. The last few posts I've read included sweet treats and I'm now seriously struggling. After your 13 mile run, especially with those hills, I think you deserved the whole cupcake. I would have told your friend to get her own. LOL. Thanks for linking with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I ate most of it. She mostly wanted me to be able to compare the two types of chocolate cake we had tried that day to the bakery that was her favorite so far.

      Delete
  7. Oh, those look yummy! I have a peanut butter cookie recipe that uses yellow cake mix -- so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sounds great! I love how cake mixes can really simplify a recipe, but somehow taste nothing like cake!

      Delete
  8. oh those cookies look amazing! i never bake anything because i have zero self control and would eat them all, no exaggeration. that sucks about the wedding cake testing, can't believe you shared that cupcake! i don't share hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never occurred to me to be like get your own cupcake. Haha. IDK why now that everyone is saying it though.

      The only reason I didn't eat them all is because I promise my friend I would bake something for the party & couldn't show up empty handed. I didn't expect them to be as big a hit as they were. So I was counting on having one or two to gobble on the ride home. But no dice.

      Delete
  9. Is this an app used to track your run? Very interesting with all the colors what does the percent mean?
    I could so be a wedding cake taster!! Wow, that would be cool. Although I'd just want to keep tasting! Thanks Jessie for linking up with us in the Weekly Wrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So it's actually an elevation chat & the percentages // colors are supposed to represent the elevation change in the route we ran. I find it so interesting to see. It's from MapMyRun. I think you can get the app on your phone, but I just plug our route in on the computer afterwards & grab this handy chart.

      Delete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!