Thursday, March 17, 2016

5 Reasons to Travel with Groupon

The BF & I recently returned from a 10 day // 7 night trip to New Zealand. We booked through Groupon and our package included flight from LAX, hotel, rental car & several excursions.

I'm in no way affiliated or sponsored by Groupon & would even wager a guess that they don't know I exist. I truly feel that for those of us trying to see the world on a budget that Groupon can be a great resource. This is by no means the only way to do it, but here are my top 5 reasons to travel with Groupon.

Have you ever traveled with Groupon?
Let me know about your experience in the comments! 


1. The best of the best
While we definitely Googled the hotels mentioned within the Groupon, we were confident they were nice & we were not proven wrong. Always double check, read the fine print & Google for yourself, but this is not Motel 6 here people. These are nice hotels that would rather sell their extra space at a discount than sit empty.

2. No need to sweat the small stuff
Most of the international Groupon packages include flights, hotels & often times even a rental car. While I chose to NOT have the travel agent book our flights from PGH --> LAX, because I could do it for cheaper, they were more than willing. This made prep so easy. Our flights, hotels & car were booked with nothing more than ONE phone call from me to the agent + one follow up email to confirm passport information (since our flights were international). A google search & a few minutes on the American website locked in our flights from PGH --> LAX. Easy peasy.

3. One hell of a deal
It crossed my mind that perhaps this was all a scam somehow. Were we overpaying when we could book ourselves for cheaper? NOPE. I priced everything out individually...flights alone, per person from LAX to Christchurch were $1700 per person. Our hotels were booking for $189 - $250 per night as we traveled during peak summer season. We stayed 7 nights.

So, some math here...
2 x 1700 = $3400 for flights
7 x 189 (we'll just use the lowest cost here) = $1323 for hotels
$550 (little on the low side from what I understand, but we'll roll with it) = rental car
_______________________________________
$5273 for flights, hotels & rental car for the two of us.
Additional excursions were also included. I haven't bothered to price any of those. I already know we got a great deal. We paid ~$4200 between the two of us.

4. Groupon Guarantee
They take these things seriously. We had a fantastic experience & our trip dates were available. But automatically Groupon will refund you if your dates are not available when you go to book. They also welcome any feedback, positive or negative about the trip.

5. Options
I want to go everywhere. Seriously, there are very few places on this earth I wouldn't love to visit. So having a bucket list doesn't make much sense. I have some priorities & some places I would rather see than others. But in general, I want to see it all. The good news is that (sometimes) makes it easier deciding where to go on vacation. I peruse sites like Groupon Getaways & look for deals that work with my budget // timeline. In 2015 & 2016 I enjoyed taking a winter time vacation & heading south of the Equator, meaning I was getting all the benefits of a summer vacation, but escaping cold, dreary Pittsburgh winters.

Ever traveled with Groupon?
What sites do you look at when planning a vacation?
Where are you headed next? 

Linking up with Amanda x A Little R&R x Mar x Cynthia x Courtney

22 comments:

  1. I haven't traveled with Groupon! We're going to Ireland in May. Maybe I should find some deals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely see if they have anything for restaurants you want to try or places you want to see!

      Delete
  2. This is helpful, thanks! I keep seeing the groupon travel deals but I was a little wary of them. I didn't know about the refund if your dates aren't available. This may be the extra bit I needed to feel comfortable booking through them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're definitely worth a look. They may not work for everyone since they're usually good for specific dates, but we had a great experience!

      Delete
  3. This is super helpful! I've always looked at the Groupon deals, but haven't been too sure about the trips, so it's good to hear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear that this was helpful, Jessie!

      Delete
  4. I forget about traveling through Groupon all the time. This is an awesome reminder! I am the same way, I want to go everywhere too. Like now, haha. I'll have to check them out because from what you've said it sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Even if you don't take a trip through them, I usually check out deals before I go to a new city to see if there are any places I want to check out or restaurants I can get a deal on.

      Delete
  5. Funny story - my grandson accidentally ordered a cruise ship groupon on his momma's phone :) haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A CRUISE!? OMG. I hope they refunded her, or at least she got a good deal out of it. ;)

      Delete
  6. Found your blog from Friday Five and we LOVE to travel too! I've looked at the Groupon deals before but the restrictions always made me a little gun shy. Plus we don't live in a big city so airfare seemed challenging. But definitely good to know you guys had such a great experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the Groupons will quote you a rate to fly out of your city if you call. So I see a lot that fly out of NYC, but I usually call to see if they'll quote me out of Pittsburgh. Usually it's cheaper than buying a flight on my own to meet the advertised flight.

      Delete
  7. I have never traveled w Groupon. I didn't even know that was a thing. I'm going to have to look into that because we love to travel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a thing & a great one at that. They have everything from international trips with airfare to hotel deals in the US.

      Delete
  8. Wow! that's amazing. I have never traveled with Groupon but may have to investigate that for the future! Most of my trips are short plane rides or local/driving distance but definitely worth a look into!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still take a look Mar! Most of their deals are actually hotels & adventures within the US.

      Delete
  9. I always see those trips on Groupon but had never heard anything - good or bad - about them. I will definitely give them more consideration now! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worth a look for sure. They can save you so much $$$ if they fit into your schedule.

      Delete
  10. I've never used a travel package from Groupon, but when I travel I look at the local Groupon page for wherever I'm going - I've found lots of deals for attractions and restaurants that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's another great way to use Groupon. I'm guilty of sometimes forgetting to do that as well. Not sure when my next trip in the US will be, but I'll definitely have to remember that!

      Delete
  11. Sounds like it was a great trip - thanks for the Groupon recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 'scuse my french, but holy shit you got a good deal! i will absolutely be checking with groupon in the future.
    so when we were in rome, we met this couple who booked an italy trip through groupon.. and they clearly did not do the googling of hotels and such. their rome hotel was an hour and a half drive away from the city centre! not quite rome. so i guess it depends on the company behind the groupon, maybe? i don't know but i will definitely be checking in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!