Monday, March 28, 2016

25 things I've learned about life

So,  I've officially been on the planet for 26 years. I celebrated my 26th birthday yesterday. I don't claim to know it all, but, in celebration, I wanted to share 25 things I've learned so far that are important lessons. I hope you'll chime in with a lesson or two in the comments. :)


1. Don't be afraid to say yes.
You'll do some pretty cool stuff you wouldn't have otherwise.

2. But also don't be afraid to say no.
Seriously. It's your life. If you genuinely don't want to do something, just say no.

3. Save $.
Every paycheck you can save SOMETHING. Seriously. In 10 years, will you remember the cute washi tape you bought from the Dollar Spot, or the amazing vacations you went on, or time spent with friends?

4. Eat good food.
Eat food that tastes good. Eat food that makes you feel good. Figure out how to make those two overlap most of the time.

5. Friendship isn't always forever.
People change. That's both a good thing & a bad thing. You may not always change the same amount, or at the same time, or evolve to be a good friendship match. It's okay to not be friends anymore.

6. Learning what you DON'T want is just as important as learning what you DO want.
Okay, so your terrible ex-boyfriend may not be a shining example of what you're looking for in your next boyfriend, but, you did learn what you don't want. Someone like your ex. Haha.

7. If you don't love you when you're single a relationship won't make it better.
A relationship can't fix your feelings towards yourself. If you don't like you that's some shit you have to deal with on the inside.

8. Go places. 
Go overseas if you can afford it. Go away for the weekend anywhere you please if you can't. Or do both. But go somewhere. Somewhere you've never been, try something new, taste something new.

9. Get outside.
Take a walk, or drink margaritas on the patio or read a book on your lawn. Whatever.


10. Do shit that scares you.

11. There are lots of things for which the time will never be 'right'. 
You have to make it right. Open the doors you want to walk through.

12. If you don't ask, the answer is always NO.

13. Find your signature dish.
If you can't cook, make it something simple. Write down the recipe & make it for every potluck you're ever invited to. If you're a great cook, explore. Have your signature dish, but use all the potluck guests as your recipe guinea pigs.

14. Get to know your parents as people, not just Mom & Dad.
Trust me. They've done some cool stuff you have no idea about. They're not as tame as you think & they had a life before they made you. Find out more about it.

15. Go grocery shopping.
See #3 & #4. It's not hard. It will save you $$$ & you'll eat better. You don't have to be a restaurant chef to make tasty food. Figure out some staples. Save your waistline & your wallet. You'll thank me when you're 40. Pounds always go on easier than they come off.

16. Find a workout you enjoy & then do it.
There is something you enjoy that also counts as working out. It could be dancing, it could be lifting weights, it could literally be as simple as walking. Find it. Do it a few times a week (at least). Your heart will thank you.

17. Work hard.
Someone, eventually, will notice. It may not be instant. But it does not go unnoticed. You'll set yourself up for success later.

18. Figure out how you de-stress best.
Running or lifting some heavy weights really helps me to de-stress. Some people like bubble baths. Whatever. Find your thing. Do that thing when you are stressed & then enjoy being slightly less stressed.

19. Talk to people about your feelings.
Feelings are hard. I admit it. Sometimes I don't even know what feeling I'm having. It's double hard to talk about your feelings if you don't even know what they are. If someone hurt your feelings, tell them. Be specific so they can avoid doing it again.

20. Quality over Quantity.
Applies to friends, booze, boyfriends & clothing 99% of the time.

21. There will come a hangover where you realize you can't hang like you used to.
Accept that. It is not a one off fluke. This is now your life, forever. You can't drink like you did in college. Congrats on being 'old'. In the meantime, 1 McDouble + 1 McChicken, all housed between one set of buns will cure any hangover. Promise.

22. Learn how to be okay being alone
Everyone needs some me-time now & again. I have no problem going to dinner alone, concerts alone, movies alone. And sometimes it's my preference. Be okay with riding solo, you never know when you just might have to.

23. Don't put things on FB // the Internet you wouldn't want to talk about in a job interview
Seriously. I look everyone up on Facebook before they waltz into this office for an interview. It started with the interns a few years back & now I'm the resident Internet stalker for our floor (I think that came out wrong). If you have a LinkedIn I will find it. Same goes for Twitter & Pinterest & whatever weird social media you have. And then we will ask you questions about that thing you drunk tweeted after the Kenny Chesney concert last summer. Don't be dumb.

24. Learn the difference between your // you're, too // to // two & their // they're // there
If you don't you just look like an idiot. Congrats on securing my lack of respect for you. But just in case you need a refresher...





25. Social media is only a GLIMPSE into another humans life
No one with a brain is posting about the big fight they just had with their spouse, or the fact that they only have abs because they eat nothing but boiled chicken breast & plain broccoli. It's hard, but remember, you're only seeing their highlight reel. You can't compare yourself to that.

What do you wish you could tell your former self?
What's one piece of advise everyone should know?

I'm linking up with  Holly x Tricia x Carylee x Jenna x Erin x Katie x A Little R&R x SewCrafty x Emily x Margo

12 comments:

  1. Love this! I especially love the get to know your parents as people one. in the past few years I've definitely been able to start calling my dad a friend rather than just my dad, and hearing is opinions on things and stories of what he's done is so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll confess - I do get confused with then / than
    I'm still working on learning to say no - its not easy
    You got a lot of wisdom to be a young whipper snapper :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I hope 26 is a great year for you!

    I think one of my biggest lessons/pieces of advice is: stop worrying so much about what other people do. It's amazing how many conversations revolve around "I get so annoyed when people do [insert little pet peeve here]", and "here's a list of things everyone should stop posting on Facebook, because I don't like it," and so on. Oh god, who cares. As long as they're not breaking any laws, people are allowed to act however they want. Just focus on yourself and your own life and the good things about people instead of the bad. You'll be a lot happier that way. We can't control what other people do but we can control how we react - so take the high road, and save all that energy for something more important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "you" is obviously a general "you", not "you" as in Jessie! I'm sure you knew that but just want to make it clear I'm not lecturing you, lol

      Delete
  4. YES social media is only a small glimpse into someone else's life. I'm thankful that God gave us relationships in real life to remind us of just how precious it is to have friends and grow in our friendships. And friendships do change, so I think I'm learning to treasure them more. It's easy for me to want to grow bitter, but I know that I can't be bitter, because God gave them to me as a gift. <333

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love and agree with each and every single one of these. Also laughed at the hangover one.. haha only 2 years out of college and I've learned that quickly. Also, the one with go to new places and be okay with being alone.. that's something I have learned in the past year and it's so refreshing to have a different perspective now than in college.

    I wish I could tell my former self to study abroad for a semester when I had the opportunity. That's probably the only thing that I would do differently if I could have a do-over in life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so agree with tip number 2! Sometimes I feel so guilty for saying no to something, but it's just not possible to do it all!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. "If you don't ask, the answer is always NO" YES YES YES! This is what I'm always telling people. The worst thing a person can say is no - but the worst thing you can do is walk around wondering what if!

    ReplyDelete
  8. happy belated birthday! i basically agree with each and everything you said. well, i'm not so good with 13, unless you count chips and salsa as a signature dish haha. 22 is one of the most important things you can learn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy late birthday to you! I love this list! So many I agree with too. For me I relate to saving more money, going more places. Yes, it can be done at the same time. De-stress, I think if I had started running earlier on, I would have been a much happier person! Thanks for linking up! You are young in age but wise in wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday! This is a wonderful list. I think I would tell my younger self to LET IT GO. The things we stress over are often just a waste of time and energy. I love your (not you're!) point about the highlight reel. I think #8 #9 #10 are my own mantras. It's so important for well being, in my book. Thanks for linking with us Jessie!

    ReplyDelete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!