Monday, February 15, 2016

Week (end) Highlights : Busy Bee

Last week was a busy week. I didn't mind, because it meant lots of fun plans, but it did leave my house in a curious state of disarray and I did nothing to stop the dishes from piling up. Because as great as meal planning is, it always leaves me with a massive pile of dirty Tupperware. So, here's more than you may care to know (complete with pictures) about what I was up to last week!

{monday}
I headed down to Altar Bar, a small unique venue, formerly a church, to see Reel Big Fish (for the fourth? time.). I went with my former roommate & the BF's sister. We grabbed a sandwich at Primanti's first. Classic Pittsburgh food. As is the Pittsburgh way to put fries on ERRRYTHANG, even salads (yes, I mean it), every sandwich comes with french fries, "coleslaw" & tomato. Mmm.

Capicola & Cheese
 After we finished eating we headed over to wait in line to get in, knowing this was a sell-out crowd.
The first opening act was on the weird side but I enjoyed listening to the second band before RBF came onstage. I snapped one blurry picture & then put my phone away so I could jump up & down & sing along to all my favorite songs.

Reel Big Fish
{tuesday}
After work Tuesday I met up with my friend Stef & headed to her place for dinner. I met up with this guy who was more than happy to sit on my feet & head-bump my hand every time I stopped petting him. This coming Wednesday, the 17th, will mark two years since we adopted him from the Animal Rescue League here in Pittsburgh. He may look like a Pit Bull & be a little porky well fed, but he's a big softy.


{wednesday}
A former co-worker came back to Pittsburgh for the week to visit friends & family & she likes us so much she asked if we could all go out to Happy Hour, so of course we obliged. About 15 of us from work headed out for a few drinks & appetizers. 

Afterwards I headed home & baked up these guys. In keeping with my yearly Valentine's Day tradition I bake strawberry cupcakes topped with cream cheese icing. 


| edit | Way too much icing was eaten after I finished icing the cupcakes. #NoShame

{thursday}
So, the BF's birthday was in November...BUT we celebrated Thursday. In my defense, it was due to a crazy work schedule combined with the holidays & few openings at Copper Kettle Brewing Company. We headed to Copper Kettle to brew our own beer. The BF got to pick out his recipe of choice, from over 50 options & then we completed all the necessary brewing steps. 


 

We grabbed dinner at next door Hough's afterwards & we'll head back in 3 weeks to bottle our concoction!

Mmm Chicken & Waffles
 {friday}
My brother texted me last minute on Thursday letting me know he would be in town for a conference starting that night. So, we were able to meet up on Friday & grab dinner. He lives about 7 hours away, in KY, so I don't see him often. We grabbed dinner at Emiliano's in Southside & finished up with a photo shoot to send to my Mom who is enjoying her new iPhone.

| side note | Our waiter DEFINITELY thought we were a couple, he told us "Happy Valentine's Day" followed by, "Go home & ENJOY your night". Ew.



{saturday}
No long run due to wind chills well below zero. 
Instead I hunkered down inside to do some more work on a work certification & to make this tasty Curried Red Lentil & Pumpkin Soup from Budget Bytes. I added a fresh diced jalapeno & went a little light on the ginger (because I forgot about it until halfway through) but this was a hit. Even the BF liked it.

Curried Red Lentil and Pumpkin Soup - BudgetBytes.com

{sunday}
Baked some tasty muffins, check back Wednesday for the recipe.
"Long" run in 20 degree weather, check.



Any home brewers out there?
What's the last // first concert you went to?
My last was obviously RBF on Monday, but my first was Good Charlotte in like 2003.
What was the highlight of your weekend?

I'm linking up with Meg, Holly & Tricia to share my Week (end) Highlights

20 comments:

  1. I'd say you had a crazy busy week, although with lots of fun stuff: family visits, meals out, live music, beer brewing, concerts...oh to be you again or just not pregnant so I could enjoy that happy hour.

    These are the weeks worth letting the dishes pile up. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    Happy Monday and thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meghan, last week I thanked myself, the me that has a pile of dishes to do tonight isn't so sure it was worth it.

      Boy how sweet will that first post pregnancy drink be? I can only imagine.

      Delete
  2. We get the opposite- everyone thinks my husband & I are brother & sister - I guess since we're both redheads. :) haha
    Hey - I'm in Kentucky :)
    All the cupcakes & muffins - those are my favs - grab & go eats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too funny. I would think since the brother & I are both blonde that people would assume we were siblings, but I guess not!

      Delete
  3. What a fun weekend - so much time with friends and family! Those cupcakes look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, they really were, it took all my willpower not to devour them all!

      Delete
  4. Mmm, those muffins look really yummy! If it's in cupcake or muffin form, I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! So easy to grab & go! I'll be sharing the muffin recipe on Wednesday!

      Delete
  5. It sounds like you had a very busy and fun week! My first concert was probably Molly Hatchet (southern hard rock) around '79 - yikes! My last concert was Luke Bryan (with his painted on pants). How cool you could go and brew your own beer. My husband would really like that. Your doggie looks so sweet! Thanks for linking with us Jessie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say I know much Molly Hatchet music, but I do love me some Luke Bryan. Thanks for hosting Holly!

      Delete
  6. What a fun weekend! I have TOTALLY had that happen to me and my brother (but even weirder because my daughter was there too! Ha!) Those muffins look DELICIOUS and I'm 100% with you on the tupperware troubles. One of the only drawbacks to meal prep, but I'll still take the convenience any day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that would be double weird. It happens fairly frequently. Not sure why, because I think we look fairly identical, but this is the first time it's been super awkward.

      Yes. The convenience is worth it. Now, if I could just move somewhere with a dishwasher.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a fun week! I love the idea of a place that supplies all the home brew stuff. My husband use to home brew a lot, but now there's just no room for everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a bummer. I looked into buying a kit & us doing it at home, but it seemed like a lot of ingredients with a lot of room for error. We'll see how our batch turns out!

      Delete
  8. Wow, it sounds like you had a ton of fun things this week! Those cupcakes and the soup you made look delicious. I've never tried brewing beer but it sounds fun. I look forward to hearing how it is once you drink it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first time I've tried brewing beer too. I'll definitely be back to share once we bottle & taste test. Hopefully it will be a success!

      Delete
  9. OMG...WHAT!!! You are a Reel Big Fish fan too!! I've seen them about 5 times and LOVE them. I was originally going to say something about that crazy burger but RBF!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessss! YAY! They were great, per usual. The venue only holds maybe 300 people, MAX, so it was a super intimate show.

      Delete
  10. What a fun weekend! All of your food looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura, I would eat it all again in a heartbeat. Haha

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!