Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Workout Recap : 1/4 - 1/10

Last week was my first week of Whole 30 and while I didn't experience the "carb flu" that the program says is standard, I was fairly low energy all week.

The week ended on another low workout note & I'm chalking it up to the knowledge that every week can't be a great week. I'll regroup & start again since this week starts my "build" weeks before official half marathon training. And as for my HM training plan...looks like I'll be revising that again...if you missed it, I'm headed on another big trip come April 2016 ( you can find my announcement here.)


Monday : Strength training // Arms + 1 mile time trial  (7:29)
I ended up doing my mile time trial on the treadmill. Which isn't exactly a decision I'm pleased with. I'm brainstorming as to how I could get this done outside. My big hangup is that I workout before work, but it's dark then. Especially given the cold temps // potential for ice I'm not super comfortable running outside in the dark. I guess I could suck it up for this week again & move my trial to Sundays? It's a work in progress.

Tuesday : Rest

Wednesday : Speed Pyramid // 400, 800, 1200, 800, 400 +  Strength Training
This speed pyramid was a tough one. Eventually I'll add in 1 x 1600 m repeat for the "top" of my pyramid. I think this is a workout that will keep me challenged all the way through my HM training. I rounded out my morning with some strength training.

Thursday : Rest
An impromptu day trip for work meant leaving Pittsburgh at 7AM & returning around 630PM, so no workout for me.

Friday : Strength Training // Full Body
I don't remember doing anything particularly crazy on Friday, but I am STILL sore. Usually the soreness hits me on day 2 if it's going to hit, but it has been non-stop since Saturday. I did work on both upper & lower body, and apparently worked myself pretty hard.

Saturday : Rest
Was planning for a run after I dropped my friends off, but I was behind on grocery shopping & met up with a friend for a late lunch & before I knew it it was dark.

Sunday : 3.25 miles // 10:12 pace
This whole run felt terrible. From the first few steps all the way to the end. I felt like I was running through mud, and hills that I run up on the regular looked like Everest. I don't get it and it was defeating. I've been running 8+ mile long runs each week @ 9:30 pace. How can 3 miles be harder?



On a separate note...I played around with MapMyRun a bit tonight & the above elevation map that shows the grade of the route is such a neat feature. I can't wait to use this to compare hills on my standard running route to let's say the hill @ Mile 11-ish of the PGH HM. & could be super helpful for anyone out there trying to add some more hills to their training program.

So, lessons for next week...do some cross training & don't count on the weather improving, it's better to get it over with than to wait around all day for the perfect weather conditions that won't come this time of year.

I'm linking up with MarciaPatty & Erika today for Tuesdays on the Run.

Any neat running apps to share? Am I late to this elevation chart party?
What's your favorite speed workout?
Anyone care to commiserate about a run gone sour?

12 comments:

  1. I also love MMR's elevation grade feature! I just recently discovered it too so you are not alone.

    Bad runs happen, and sometimes there really is no discernible reason. Your body may just be tired from the extra difficulty you took on this week, or maybe you were just having an off day. Don't overthink it, it just happens. Sometimes the only good thing about a workout is that you got it done, and after bad runs I always tell myself "at least I got the miles in!" You're out there, doing the work, so you'll be fine. It's not always pretty but it's part of the process - keep working hard and you'll start to see it come together! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a hard reminder to give myself. I did finish the run I set out to do. I've got plenty more miles to run before my half, and plenty more chances for great runs. Thanks for the reminder. :)

      Delete
  2. I've had plenty of bad runs and I always learn the most from them. Honestly, some of my best runs come the few days after a bad run. I wouldn't dwell in it and I know you will bounce back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope that's the case here. My confidence could really use a good run right about now.

      Delete
  3. That workout recap breakdown is pretty neat. Is that an app? Bad runs happen for me when I'm too tired and try to push through. Sometimes my body just doesn't have it. Usually after a day or two of rest, I feel stronger than ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Not an app, it's a graphic I made on Canva for free & then edit each week with my stats.

      Delete
  4. I'm not a huge fan of the treadmill either, but I realize now how much I hate running in the dark (and cold) alone. Totally not fun. I'll suffer on the treadmill for a few months. Nice job getting your workouts done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really just isn't a good option in the wintertime is there? Is it Springtime yet?

      Delete
  5. I've had 10 mile runs that totally energized me, and 4 mile runs that made me want to lay on the couch all day . . . sometimes there really is no rhyme or reason.

    The most important thing is to just keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got 2 more runs on the calendar this week, one of them will be a good one!

      Delete
  6. ugh. Don't get me started on my loathing of the 'mill. I'm in Iowa (probably similar weather as you), and I will bundle up and dodge ice to avoid firing up the 'mill. That said, I don't mind using it (on rare occasions) for intervals...because the time is broken up and not a long "extended" run...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite the opposite. I do hate the treadmill, but dodging ice!? So not my thing. Props to you!

      Delete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!