Thursday, January 7, 2016

Thinking Out Loud #5 : Leaving on a jet plane

I'll start by quickly mentioning I'm linking up with Amanda for Thinking out Loud...

Thinking-Out-Loud2

...and then I'll move right in to the good stuff because I am way too excited, like jumping up & down, doing weird dances in my living room excited...



In April 2016 I'll be off to visit Croatia, Slovenia, Montenegro & Italy!!!

Venice has been on my short list since I can remember, I love everything about the concept of the city & every picture I've seen of the place.

Source

Croatia & Slovenia skyrocketed to the top of my short list in 2015 after hearing some rave reviews from friends & seeing all their beautiful photos. As a side note, my short list is now really just becoming my overall list. Anyone else? I want to go everywhere & see everything.

Source

I'll get a chance to visit Opatija, Split, Dubrovnik, Zagreb, Bled & Venice! 

Source
Source

While I'll be touring with a group for some parts of the trip, in general, I'm flying solo. The BF didn't have the time off of work, and friends didn't quite have the $. But I wasn't willing to let that stop me, so off I go.

Source
I was so fortunate as a kid to have parents who prioritized travel & family vacations to new & exciting places. We never went the same place twice. We're not the family that goes to the same beach every year in the summer. As a result I've been to 48 of the 50 states, and my last 2 aren't the ones you'd guess. (Unless you guessed Kansas & North Dakota, in which case, gold star for you!) So, I'm focused on international travel right now.

So many people ask me how I can travel & go to these exciting places...well, I've got the $$$ & I'm MAKING the time. An important distinction. I have the $$$ because of sacrifices I make elsewhere. I rent a fairly cheap apartment, own my car outright & threw everything I could at student loans so they're gone. I meal plan & purchase food consciously. I don't make millions. But I budget & I tell my $ where to go. I don't look at a credit card statement & wonder how the bill is so high. I know what I spent & what I got from that expenditure. Travel / Memories are worth the money to me, so I prioritize them as such. I MAKE the time. I have 3 weeks vacation at work. I try to schedule trips to include as many weekends as possible, but I've also got a boss man who is willing to work with me. Take a few days unpaid, or work a few extra hours to make up the difference. Doesn't hurt to ask, the worst someone can say is no.

Now that we've got that out of the way...a few random thoughts // pictures to share.

My sweet pup Buddy on a windy day, he was very displeased.


And a story about how my family & I drove 40+ minutes to get to Arkansas, specifically to find this donut shop that my Mom & I stopped at years ago.

We went in, ordered 6-8 donuts, got in the car, drove off, meanwhile scarfing all the donuts down, decided they were absolutely delicious & so my Mom turned the car around so we could go back for more. Mmm.


And finally. TBT to Baby Jessie, who passed out every night like this (or so I'm told)...


Have you ever traveled anywhere solo?
What places are at the top of your "short list"?
What's your favorite kind of donut? Chocolate glazed cake donut anyone?

6 comments:

  1. Ahhh so jealous! We were a campground family as kids, and although we went a lot of different places and states, we never went international. (Except Canada?) I'm so jealous of your impending trip! Also, the donut story is the best. Sounds like something I would totally do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We never went camping as kids & I was always jealous of the ones who did!

      Delete
  2. I love that you prioritize travel so much in your life because I honestly believe it's one of the best things you can spend money on. I was super fortunate to have parents that took me a bunch of places when I was little as well, and I can honestly say that it's made a huge difference in how I turned out. Your trip in April sounds like it's going to be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you 100%, I wish more people saw travel in that light!

      Delete
  3. Wow, that sounds like an amazing trip! I've heard that Eastern Europe is BEAUTIFUL and that you can go there and experience the beauty and history. <333 A wonderful step of faith!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard similar things, I am SO excited!

      Delete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!