Friday, January 8, 2016

Friday Five #5 : Meal Plan in Action

Hands up people. It's FINALLY Friday. I like my job, I do, I really do. But some weeks just test you as a person and this was one of those weeks. So, here's to hoping today flies by & I make it until 5 PM.



I've got friends visiting from out of town (or rather they're here for a wedding & want a free couch to crash on, same thing in my book!) & I'm excited to be outside during the daylight. A rare winter occurrence for me during the week.

I'm linking up with MarCynthia & Courtney for their Friday 5. This week I'll be talking about food & sharing 5 things I plan to meal prep for this coming week. 

If you've read any posts recently then you know I'm currently doing Whole30. While this means I am spending a bit more time in kitchen than usual, but I'm still trying to be very conscious in picking meals/recipes that will taste good, reheat well as leftovers (as I tend to eat the same thing day after day) and are Whole30 compliant...all while sticking to a budget. Easy peasy.


So, 5 meals that I'll be prepping this week + grocery list.




1 // EGG + VEGGIE SCRAMBLE
This one is simple, any veggies left over from my regular meal prep = breakfast. Bell pepper bits, onion, broccoli. Sautee them all, add in 2-3 scrambled eggs each morning & viola, breakfast. I like to top with some avocado the day of!

2 // MONKEY SALAD
Not sure this is a real thing, but I made it one day & it's delicious. Chopped up banana + almond butter, warm in the microwave for 15-20 seconds, then top with unsweetened coconut flakes & a big handful of cashews. I typically eat it plain, but it's also good with some cinnamon sprinkled on top.

3 // BAKED POTATO & CHILI
I'll be combining 1 LB ground beef, 1 onion, 1 bell pepper, 1 can crushed tomatoes, 1 can diced tomatoes & 1 can tomato paste to make a simple chili. Toss in some spices, maybe some red pepper flakes & I'll have a saucy chili ready to top my baked potato each day for lunch. 

4 // Creamy Broccoli Soup with Ham (recipe HERE)
This sounds too tasty & simple NOT to make. I've got many of the ingredients already & I think it will come together in a flash & reheat well for extra lunches.

5 // OVEN KEBABS
I love making veggie kebabs at any cookout I attend. But why not make them in the oven in the winter. I plan to marinate some chicken in oil & spices before tossing pepper, onion, mushroom & squash on my skewers. I'll bake at 350 until cooked through. I'll bake up a side of roasted sweet potatoes & it'll be just like a cookout.

I tend to keep my pre-workout "meal" the same. I hit the hard boiled eggs hard. And in the evenings I'll dive into a grapefruit or other fruit if I find myself hungry. I'm working diligently to listen to my body & eat when I am truly hungry, NOT bored. I was very much in-tune with my body, but I've gotten away from that. 

Luckily I have a few things on hand already that I'll use this week like almond butter, Lara bars, baking potatoes, & dates as some pre-run fuel. As such, they didn't make it on the grocery list, but add them to yours!

Do you have a grocery budget? Or does anything go?
What's your favorite grocery store?
Am I the ONLY meal prep nerd out there...? 

18 comments:

  1. I love egg + veggies for breakfast! I should fix baked potatoes more. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly haven't had a baked potato in years & suddenly remembered the exist.

      Delete
  2. Never heard of Monkey salad but it sounds good! I'll have to to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you probably haven't heard of it because I made it up. And the name...because it seemed like something a monkey might enjoy eating.

      Delete
  3. I have to be honest, I have never heard of a Monkey salad, though after reading what's in it, it make sense. It sounds good except for the coconut. I am not a big fan of coconut. Good luck with the whole 30, I wanted to try it but I felt like it really was not vegetarian friendly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have a vegetarian version that allows some more flexibility. But honestly, I think if I was vegetarian I would skip Whole30 all together. But maybe you could do something similar but modify to your needs.

      Delete
  4. i had a scrambled egg with chicken sausage and spinach for breakfast this morning. yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! I'll have to remember to pick up some spinach as well.

      Delete
  5. I'm digging that monkey salad idea. Almond butter for the win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love almond butter! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. I love the eggs and vegetable combination. Truth be told, omelets are one of my favorite breakfasts to have!

    I've never heard of a monkey salad but it definitely sounds interesting and unique. I think I might have to give it a shot sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely recommend it! I love omelets too, they're so versatile.

      Delete
  7. I just baked chicken thighs in italian spices and man - SO good! Never heard of monkey salad - sounds good in theory but I'm allergic to coconut and almonds. Womp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bummer. Coconut AND almonds? No monkey salad for you then!

      Delete
  8. I think I made something similar to your monkey salad for breakfast the other day! I had a banana, almond butter, and a coconut cream Larabar mixed together. It was so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I bet that would be super tasty. I'll tuck that idea away. Thanks Cecilia!

      Delete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!