Friday, January 29, 2016

Be Bold 2016 : Personal Goals

I think we all know by now I love a good goal post. I find them to be a great tool to hold myself accountable to the things I want to accomplish. Meanwhile, it forces me to look at how I will accomplish the more long term items on my list.

I'm linking up with GinaAllieKate, Christina and Catherine for their #BeBold2016 link-up to talk about some of my personal goals for 2016. I have a feeling 2016 is going to be a year of big life changes.  The BF & I are very serious, work has been talking about a promotion, big stuff happening here people. I kept these things in mind when I decided how // where to direct my energy in 2016.

So, without further adieu, let's take a look at some of my personal goals for 2016. I hope you'll share a goal (or two) of yours with me in the comments!


{bake more}
Let me toot my own horn for a moment. I'm a good cook & a damn good baker. I learned from my mother (who spent some years baking // decorating wedding cakes for a local bakery) who learned from her mother. Needless to say, a lot of what I do in the kitchen is based loosely on recipes I've read, or totally made up. But I've got a big ol' Pinterest board filled with things I would love to try. And a whole office full of people at work that devour anything I bring in. So, one recipe a month. Not too hard. Weed out the keepers from the ones I vow to never make again. January is a bust because I've been doing Whole30, but you best believe I'll be in action come February (uhh, which is Monday!?)

{find a church}
The BF & I grew up with (slightly) different religion philosophies. As a result, we both prioritize differently when it comes to finding the right church. Read : I think church should be enjoyable & he thinks you just pick one and go because going has nothing to do with enjoyment. We've yet to find one we both like & could commit to attending regularly. I won't even get myself started on the nightmare that is that man's schedule. Which makes it hard to dedicate Sunday mornings to church going. But, it's something I want to continue to make a priority.

{save, save, save}
I'm currently socking away a bit more than 50% of my take home pay each month. Not counting what I put into my 401K before I even see my paycheck, and I'm doing so effortlessly. While most people might think this is pretty good, I'm not quite satisfied. I have big dreams of retirement by the time I'm 50-ish & a good retirement, full of travel at that. The easiest way for me to sock more money away is to say NO. I say no to mindless shopping on my lunch break, I say no to that super cute new shirt that doesn't go with anything in my wardrobe & I say NO to the Dollar Spot at Target (though seriously it takes every ounce of my willpower, everything is so cute!) It sounds harsh at first, but in 2 weeks you will not remember the random $1 washi tape or the crazy print t-shirt you "had to have".

| side note | If you look at your credit card statement each month & are shocked at how much $$$ you spent, since you don't remember buying much, you need a (better) budget. Budgets do not have to be restricting in the slightest (if you're making enough $ to cover basic expenses). They are all about determining your priorities & how to spend your money according to those. I love to travel, so I am willing to forgo a new purse purchase or super fancy dinner if it means a plane ticket to somewhere new. If all of this baffles you, personal finance is a passion of mine. Leave me a comment & we can chat.

{read more books}
How's that for a vague goal? I've never truly tracked how much I read each year, unless it was earning me free pizza through our local summer reading programs as a kid. I digress. I usually churn out a book or two every few weeks. And I won't lie. 65% of what I read is trashy romance novels. #NoShame. But, as much as I love a good romance novel, I want to branch out. I love reading books based on true stories & I have my eye on some running related books that I think would interest me. The book I'm in now has been slow going, but I want to finish, finished today on my lunch break, so onward! And bonus points for me, because I get 99% of my books for free through the library!

{lighten the load}
I've lived in 4 apartments in 4 years. I never had any intention of moving that much & in fact, if I had my way I would probably still be in apartment #1, but life. You would think by now I would have gotten rid of lots of things I don't need or don't use, but I haven't. I've just been lugging it around from place to place wondering why I still own it & vowing to get rid of it. 2016 is the year for that. I want to dedicate these still cold winter months to getting rid of things. I have a whole closet full of clothes I never wear & more knick knacks than I care to mention. Thanks Dollar Spot. Getting rid of 50% of my stuff seems like a good place to start, though hard to quantify unless I decide to catalog my apartment, which I have ZERO intention of doing. But I can break it down by area. 50% of my clothes (the stuff I don't wear anyways) out the door, 50% of my office supplies -- out the door. You catch my drift.

| side note | if you know of anywhere that would gladly take donations of small stationary items, small arts & crafts items or knick knack type items, lay it on me. I hate to just throw those in the Goodwill pile.

{lighten the load pt. 2}
It makes no sense to spend hours getting rid of junk I already own just to bring more of it in. So, in conjunction with my goal to save more $ & lighten the load I will continue to buy items from a list of things I've deemed as "needs". Recently I needed a pair of winter running tights (though I think I found a winner) & a new pair of skinny jeans as mine are now too skinny (no bueno). If I go shopping that's what I am allowed to buy. Anything else I take a step back & realize if I go home & decide it's something that would go with absolutely everything I own, that I can always go back tomorrow.

What are some of your personal goals for 2016?
What's the last thing you bought from the Dollar Spot // Dollar Store?
Recommend a good book (preferably not a trashy romance novel)

12 comments:

  1. You could try the Pittsburgh Center for Creative Reuse as a donation site: http://pccr.org/donate/material-donations/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check it out, thank you, whoever you are.

      Delete
  2. Great goals! Sounds like 2016 will be a year of simplifying and self-improvement for you! Best of luck with all of these!

    I didn't really make any personal goals for 2016. I usually do, but not this year. I love reading about others', but honestly, I am so goal'd out. Every year I get all excited and try to take on a million things at once and it just gets stressful. This year I'm just trying to live my life one day at a time. So I guess in a sense my one personal goal for the year is to just have a little more focus in my life.

    It's hard to recommend a book without knowing what your personal tastes are, but if you like novels, here are some good ones off the top of my head: Kitchens of the Great Midwest, Life After Life, In The Unlikely Event (my current read - good so far!). They are all a good balance: not too dense, but not too fluffy either. And ones I haven't read but are on my list because EVERYONE keeps recommending them: Girl on the Train, The Rosie Project, All the Light We Cannot See.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My personal taste is pretty much just books. I worked at the library all through high school so I still read just about whatever I can get my hands on. Especially if I like the cover art (how worldly of me, I know).

      I've actually never heard of any of the books you mentioned, except Girl on the Train. I'll put them in my request queue! Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Such amazing goals you have! I def love that you want to find a church that is enjoyable. That is SO important! Also love how you want to save, that def a goal of mine too especially since I know I need to budget more. I'm so happy you were part of our be bold linkup and look forward to more collabs with you this year! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your savings goals! I also save about 50% of my take home pay but it can always be better. I'd love to hear more tips on how you save money and your budget!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I'm not sure I have anything earth shattering I may start putting together a few things for a post. Thanks Gretchen!

      Delete
  5. I have been working on reducing possessions for some time now and am in my last big push toward true minimalism. For your stationary and craft items consider donating to a nursing home like the Good Samaritan Society (most towns have one) that helps people who need assisted living but can't otherwise afford it.

    The last thing I bought from the Dollar Spot: I only bought one thing a Valentine's mailbox for my son's school valentines - so he can reuse it every year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the craft donation tip, Sami!

      Doesn't it feel good to lighten the load & get rid of things that truly aren't needed? Congrats.

      Delete
  6. You have much more self control than I in the dollar section of Target! That's so awesome! Loving your goals to save less and to lighten the load. It always feels good when we accomplish these things. Also, good luck in finding a church–I think its such an important thing to have a good church family, so I hope it all goes well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's definitely not a search I'm taking lightly. The church, priest & congregation all need to feel right.

      Delete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!