So before I get to my January goals & a few yearlong 2016 goals, I want to take a look at my December goals & check in on how I did.
- Set my spring race schedule : Done! I even went so far as to sketch out the whole year of racing. As with life, it's subject to change, but I think my plan will hold true. You can check out my plans here.
- January - May training schedule : 99% done. I found a few plans online that I've morphed into what will be my training plan. It was important to me to work in several days of strength training each week. I also do not like to run more than 3 days a week. Running 5 or 6 days a week while letting strength or cross training fall by the wayside leaves me feeling trapped & resenting running. I've really found my stride with 3 days a week. I usually incorporate 1 speed/tempo/fast paced workout, 1 easy run & 1 long run each week. Once everything is finalized I'll be adding a Training tab to the site if anyone is interested in my plan.
- STRETCH : Yes. Although it's always a tough choice between running/lifting/biking for a few more minute, or cutting it short to stretch. I've also been making a conscious & successful effort to stretch for a few minutes each night in between episodes on Netflix.
- Head back to my run group : YES! And I am oh so glad to be back. I'll gleefully set my alarm for a Saturday morning & head outside to cold & snow if it means running with this great group. These people are so supportive, the pace group leaders, the coaches, program directors & individual runners. Running with other people is just more fun. I know some runners like to take the time to be on their own, but I am not that runner.
- 3 item to-do list : Eh. This was hit or miss. One of my Christmas gifts was a 2016 planner which I am excited to utilize. I'm famous for writing a to-do list on a scrap of paper, losing it, finding it 2 months later & realizing I didn't do any of the things on my list. I think keeping all my lists in one place will simplify things.
So, what are my January goals?
- Whole30 : I attempted a Whole30 in October 2014 that went awry about half way through. Gretchen & Margaret are "hosting" a RunningWhole30. Part of my issue in my first round was that I felt weaker. But perhaps I was not eating for my goals. Trying again with a supportive group of other runners will set me up for success. I may even have the BF joining me. Say what!?
- Track all meals using MFP : I've been using My Fitness Pal app for a while now. It's very eye opening. I'm interested to see how my carb/fat/protein breakdowns change while on Whole30. I also plan to keep note on how certain foods or meals make me feel/run. This will be an easy way to look back at what I ate & how it may have impacted my running.
- No workouts missed : January is always a rough one for me. It's cold & dark & has been for months, and I'm ready for warmer weather. It hasn't been too cold yet, so maybe an easy January is ahead. My goal is no workouts skipped. I can move em or double up, but skipping a workout just will not do. This will make sure I get my butt out of bed in the morning.
- STRETCH : This will become increasingly important as I up my weekly mileage. I plan to keep my stretch streak up to keep myself running healthy.
- 3 item to-do list : I'm going to give this one another go, utilizing my new planner to help keep me organized.
I have 2 goals that are yearlong.
- 10 pushups + 10 squats each day : Been there, done that. I did this "challenge" in 2014. I could catch myself up if I missed days, but I owed myself 10 of each for every day. It is a small amount of fitness that more often than not a gym session will cover, but if not, is something I can do in front of the TV or before getting ready for bed. A little bit of fitness really does add up, and by the end of the year I could bust out pushups like nobodies business. Now? Not so much. I want to get back to that.
- One legged squat : No real reason, I just really want to be able to do one, and so far no dice. But, I'll keep working & keep trying, and 2016 WILL be the year.
What are your January goals?
Do you set New Years resolutions?
I'm linking up with Amanda today for Thinking Out Loud.