Monday, December 14, 2015

Weekend Highlights : Pho la la la la

The weather this weekend was fantastic. Sunny-ish but 60+ all weekend long. I can deal with some cloudy skies if it means walking around in a t-shirt & driving with the windows down in December.

Saturday morning meant I was up early to run with Elite Runners Saturday run group. I was so happy to be back. New faces, new routes. It's so much easier to run the extra mile, literally, when you're not alone.


Our fearless leaders do their best to always capture a group picture before each run, we were almost 65 runners strong today. Which I think is great.

For lunch, I met up with my friend Emily, who blogs over at Emily in Pittsburgh. We met on Bike & Build, an organization that runs cross country cycling trips to benefit affordable housing. I blogged my way across the US in the summer of 2012, which you can find here if you so choose.

Anyways, getting off track here...met up with Emily. I had been wanting to try pho. She asked around & found out about Tram's Kitchen, a hole in the wall Vietnamese restaurant in the Bloomfield section of Pittsburgh.

While I have absolutely nothing to compare it to, since this was my first time trying pho, I thought it was delicious. I would definitely return.


Sunday morning was spent "sleeping in" before heading out for a hike to soak up this warm winter weather. We headed to some nearby Game Lands. Since hunting in PA is illegal on Sundays we knew we wouldn't have much competition. We spent 2+ hours exploring before heading home.


Lunch was a grilled cheese sandwich...made on the GRILL. Because when it's 60 in December, you grill. Look at that beauty. Chopped up some grilled hot dogs & added to the inside. Along with an entire block of cheese.


Later on it was off to Beers-mas, a hybrid beer exchange/potluck party.The entertainment turned out to be Aero, a guide dog in training who saw fish for the first time & spent the whole rest of the evening looking back & forth from us to the fish, as if asking why we weren't as excited as she.


I'm not quite ready for Monday. I'm sitting here fingers crossed that this coming week moves faster than the last.

How was your weekend?
Is all your Christmas shopping finished?
What's your favorite beer/drink of choice?

I'm linking up with HoHo Runs, Mississippi Piddlin & Katie.

11 comments:

  1. This weather has been incredible. I have never tried pho (I like to chew my food!) but I've heard so many good things. Also, I want that GRILLED cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it was so good. And when I thought of it I was like why have I never grilled a GRILLED cheese. It's IN the name!

      Delete
  2. I can't stop laughing at that dog. I have a yellow lab mix and they're entertained by the funniest things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had new people all around all & toys everywhere & all she wants to do is watch the fish. Haha. I guess it's like the toddler that wants to play in the box the toy came in instead of with the toy. Haha.

      Delete
  3. SO cute on the dog watching the fish! I thought only my cats did that! I had to LOL at Tram's. We were just talking about it at work. The food is very good, but many people I know refuse to go there because of the rude/surly owner. If you didn't encounter him, you're lucky! I've never thought to grill a sandwich on the grill! We grill out all the time, so I think I need to try that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting about the owner. At the time my friend & I were the least obnoxious people in the joint. We both picked something random from the menu & went with it. I could tell from the start it's a place you go for the food, not the overly attentive & friendly service. Haha.

      One of the ladies next to us asked for a knife & the gentleman she asked simply said "NO", Haha, so perhaps we did encounter the owner.

      Delete
  4. I had not heard of pho so I Googled it. It sounds delicious. Our weather has been freakishly warm too. That's a big running group. I have never run in a group like that. The ones around here meet at inconvenient times for me. Your entertainment at Beer-mas is so cute! My drink of choice is a margarita, but not too sweet. Thanks for linking with us again, Jessie! Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all split up into pace groups once everything gets started so we aren't a mob of 65 running down the street. Haha. That would be a bit much I think.

      Mmmm. I do love margaritas.

      Delete
  5. I can't believe how warm it's been lately! I have never tried pho...Im not very adventurous when it comes to trying new foods:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely went with the most simple dish on the menu. There were a few with some things in them I had never heard of. So I stayed away. Haha.

      Delete
  6. I'm going to have to Google Pho too. I tell you though, I absolutely love reading what all my blogger friends do. I have learned so much from different traditions to different foods, cultures, it's just amazing.

    65 runners in your group, that is great! I totally agree nothing pushes you like a running buddy! While here in Mississippi it's not uncommon for you to wear your shorts, rain jacket and heavy winter coat all with in 48 hours. So this mild weather is not out of the norm. It does make for good conversation though when you go to get you Christmas tree 2 weeks before Christmas wearing shorts. Thanks so much for linking up with us and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!