Thursday, December 17, 2015

Thinking out Loud #3 : Recipes & Rants

Lots to share today, no real theme to it all, except my brain is fried & it's only Wednesday (as I type this...). I'm linking up with Amanda at Running with Spoons, follow the links if you have no idea what I'm talking about. And feel free to join in the fun.

Thinking-Out-Loud2

My job is very driven by customer demand, and somehow it's like everyone forgot Christmas is coming & we will be closed 2 days next week as a result, so now, everyone is in panic mode. You'd think Christmas doesn't come the same time each year or something. ;)

1. I wanted to share my super simple Oreo Truffle "recipe" if you can even call it that. There are only 3 ingredients, or 4 if you count the wine I drank while I made these.

- 1 package of double stuff Oreo cookies (store brand works great too)
- 1 x 8 oz package cream cheese
- 1 package chocolate almond bark -- I used about half of this 2 lb package
(chocolate chips + butter would work fine too, I'm just lazy)

Crush cookies, food processor would work just fine, but so does an empty wine bottle & a gallon bag full of cookies...make it work. Afterwards add in softened block of cream cheese & mash around/cut in until mixture is combined.


Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper & get to work rolling the mixture into tiny balls, maybe a tablespoon or so in size. I was able to get 40 truffles from this recipe.


Plop them in the freezer for a half hour or so, this will make them MUCH easier to dip in your melted chocolate. Roll each truffle around in melted chocolate, I find it's easiest to use a fork to remove from bowl & place back on your tray.

 Store these in the fridge & remove about a half hour prior to eating. I'm sure these would last in the fridge for a few days, but they never get to that point around my house.



















2. I'm really struggling to get in the holiday spirit this year & I can't quite pinpoint why. I'm hanging out with a former roommate of mine, Stef, this weekend & I'm trying to think of an activity or two that might boost my holiday spirit. But so far the only thing I can think of is making cookies. Or more truffles. Any ideas?

3. Thanksgiving leftovers for the win. I was digging through my freezer and found some leftovers I had packed up. So, turkey, mashed sweet potatoes & broccoli cheddar casserole are on the menu for lunch today!

4. THIS. A MILLION TIMES.
I need new tires for my car. I've never had to buy those before and it's turning out to be way harder than it sounds.

They're expensive, and not everyone carries everything, and I'm about to head away for Christmas, but want them replaced before then, but I also need my state inspection done, but I waited until the last minute, because I need new tires. Where's an adultier adult when I need one. Why don't they teach this in HS?

Source     

5. Christmas exploded. How glad am I that these are not my neighbors. When I was a kid I used to dream of what I would do when I had my own house to decorate & honestly, in my head it looked something like this. NOPE. Call me the Grinch. I haven't even put up my tree this year. Bah humbug.

Side note : If you're in Pittsburgh, this house is out 65 in Ambridge, they collect $$$ each year for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in a box out front.

Hope you're all having a lovely week. We have 3 people out of the office...and with only 6 people in my department to begin with, it has been super hectic. I'm making it all work, 'cause what are the other options, but I'm ready for things to get back to normal.

Any suggestions to help me get in the holiday spirit?
Tell me something random.
Does your house look like Christmas exploded?

9 comments:

  1. Oh wow, if you could send me a package of those truffles that would be amazing. ;-P The best way for me to get into the holiday spirit is to just think about why I celebrate it, and that gets me SO excited. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can have any that I don't eat. ;)

      That's definitely an easy thing to think about. Thanks Emily!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the recipe! I can totally veganize those. :) Have you been to Phipps to see the holiday flower show? That might be nice to do with your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I'm surprised these can be vegan-ized. I had no idea there were so many options out there. YAY! I'm glad, because they're delicious & simple and a not a cookie.

      I have actually NEVER been to Phipps in the 7+ years I've lived here. I'll mention it to her. Their website pictures are beautiful!

      Delete
  3. I'm not having the easiest time with my christmas spirit this year either, but I'm still hoping that it'll hit me the closer that Christmas comes. And I'm trying not to fuss too much if it doesn't come, too. That'll only make me feel worse, and there's always next year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must say, it was nice to read on your post that I'm not the only one. There is indeed always next year. I'm thinking my spirits will rise Christmas eve when all the fun family traditions start.

      Delete
  4. We didnt put any lights on the outside of our house this year, and I always thought when I was a kid that it was be so fun to go overboard with that. That oreo truffle recipe sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, something about realizing I'll have to take them down in a month or so really makes it hard to find the motivation. Now I realize why my parents never went crazy with the decorating.

      Delete
  5. Mmmmm I had to stop by this post because I love oreos! Although I'm not a big fan of cream cheese so I'm not sure if I will make this quite yet. Its interesting you mentioned being out of the holiday spirit! Even though the holidays are gone I feel I was very much out of it this past year compared to prior years. Maybe because I was so heavily focused on the need to save money!

    https://curlycaroline.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!