Thursday, December 31, 2015

Monthly Goals : January

I'm not sure I'm a fan of New Years resolutions. Don't get me wrong, I can definitely see their benefit. I also see though the lack of follow through that typically accompanies. Goals need to be specific & achievable. I even think there should be benchmarks & obvious steps to keep someone on track to reaching their end goal. Otherwise, it can be easy to get to the end of the year & feel like you got nothing done.



So before I get to my January goals & a few yearlong 2016 goals, I want to take a look at my December goals & check in on how I did.

- Set my spring race schedule : Done! I even went so far as to sketch out the whole year of racing. As with life, it's subject to change, but I think my plan will hold true. You can check out my plans here.

- January - May training schedule : 99% done. I found a few plans online that I've morphed into what will be my training plan. It was important to me to work in several days of strength training each week. I also do not like to run more than 3 days a week. Running 5 or 6 days a week while letting strength or cross training fall by the wayside leaves me feeling trapped & resenting running. I've really found my stride with 3 days a week. I usually incorporate 1 speed/tempo/fast paced workout, 1 easy run & 1 long run each week. Once everything is finalized I'll be adding a Training tab to the site if anyone is interested in my plan.

- STRETCH : Yes. Although it's always a tough choice between running/lifting/biking for a few more minute, or cutting it short to stretch. I've also been making a conscious & successful effort to stretch for a few minutes each night in between episodes on Netflix.

- Head back to my run group : YES! And I am oh so glad to be back. I'll gleefully set my alarm for a Saturday morning & head outside to cold & snow if it means running with this great group. These people are so supportive, the pace group leaders, the coaches, program directors & individual runners. Running with other people is just more fun. I know some runners like to take the time to be on their own, but I am not that runner.



- 3 item to-do list : Eh. This was hit or miss. One of my Christmas gifts was a 2016 planner which I am excited to utilize. I'm famous for writing a to-do list on a scrap of paper, losing it, finding it 2 months later & realizing I didn't do any of the things on my list. I think keeping all my lists in one place will simplify things.
_________________________________________________________________________________

So, what are my January goals?

- Whole30 : I attempted a Whole30 in October 2014 that went awry about half way through. Gretchen & Margaret are "hosting" a RunningWhole30. Part of my issue in my first round was that I felt weaker. But perhaps I was not eating for my goals. Trying again with a supportive group of other runners will set me up for success. I may even have the BF joining me. Say what!?

Source

- Track all meals using MFP : I've been using My Fitness Pal app for a while now. It's very eye opening. I'm interested to see how my carb/fat/protein breakdowns change while on Whole30. I also plan to keep note on how certain foods or meals make me feel/run. This will be an easy way to look back at what I ate & how it may have impacted my running.

- No workouts missed : January is always a rough one for me. It's cold & dark & has been for months, and I'm ready for warmer weather. It hasn't been too cold yet, so maybe an easy January is ahead. My goal is no workouts skipped. I can move em or double up, but skipping a workout just will not do. This will make sure I get my butt out of bed in the morning.

- STRETCH : This will become increasingly important as I up my weekly mileage. I plan to keep my stretch streak up to keep myself running healthy.

- 3 item to-do list :  I'm going to give this one another go, utilizing my new planner to help keep me organized.
________________________________________________________________________________

I have 2 goals that are yearlong. 
- 10 pushups + 10 squats each day : Been there, done that. I did this "challenge" in 2014. I could catch myself up if I missed days, but I owed myself 10 of each for every day. It is a small amount of fitness that more often than not a gym session will cover, but if not, is something I can do in front of the TV or before getting ready for bed. A little bit of fitness really does add up, and by the end of the year I could bust out pushups like nobodies business. Now? Not so much. I want to get back to that.

- One legged squat : No real reason, I just really want to be able to do one, and so far no dice. But, I'll keep working & keep trying, and 2016 WILL be the year.

What are your January goals?
Do you set New Years resolutions?

I'm linking up with Amanda today for Thinking Out Loud.

10 comments:

  1. I seriously can't stop laughing at that meme. Really though. Actually, there are probably like, 15 trying to be rappers..... anyway, Happy new Year! Looks like you're set up for success this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha right? That thought is always a quick pick me up when I need one.

      Delete
  2. Wow, those are such good and attainable goals. My goal for this year is STRENGTH (when it comes to spiritual and physical fitness.) I want to get into my Bible SO MUCH more and do a pull-up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the focus on one word but as it relates to all aspects. You've picked a great one!

      Delete
  3. I've been looking into the Top 3 to-do list as well. I think it'd definitely help keep me from overwhelming myself with too many things. And I love the idea of doing 10 pushups and 10 squats daily! It's small enough not to be intimidating every day, but I'm better it adds up at the end of those 365 days. Happy New Year's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly! That's why I do it!

      Thanks for hosting, Amanda!

      Delete
  4. I feel the same about goals. With me, I hit all my fitness-related ones but then forget about the others! I think this year I have a good plan in place. Sounds like you have great goals and are ready to rock 2016! The 10 daily push-ups/squats is an interesting one. I like to do challenges like that. Happy New Year's Eve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something simple & usually, if I'm already doing a few things I can convince myself to add some stretching or something else while I am at it.

      Delete
  5. I don't love the "resolutions" because it makes it seem like you're not good how you are and you have to change SO many things about you to fit into the new resolution category. Goals, however, I do like! Kudos to you for already setting your race schedule. I need to get on your level. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I "set" my schedule so early mostly to keep myself motivated. Otherwise it's really easy to just get lazy.

      Delete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!